Week # 3 General Discussion

Blackstar12

46 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

I don't think Schottenheimer is a horrible OC. He was easily the best OC that Fisher had with the Rams (of course, that's being the world's tallest midget). I'd call him about average. He's nothing close to McVay, but he isn't out of his depth calling a game. The biggest issue I remember with him with the Rams is that he was great at scripting the early part of the game and very poor at adjusting when things went awry.

I digress. I don’t think he’s great at anything. 

He was a typical run on first and second and pass on third OC. No creativity whatsoever. 

Luckily for him, Russ is the ultimate off script player 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Schotty’s gotta be on to something, cause it seems they’ve always got WRs crossing the field wide open for big YAC gains when Russ hits themin stride.

2nd TD to Lockett looked like it was schemed open too.

but yeah Russ is on another level, 1a 1b w/ Mahomes.

Russ is better than Mahomes. Give Russ the weapons, that division, and most importantly, that HC and you’ll see them rival the recent Pats dynasty easily 

Edited by rocky_rams

2 minutes ago, rocky_rams said:

Russ is better than Mahomes. Give Russ the weapons, that division, and most importantly, that HC and you’ll see them rival the recent Pats dynasty easily 

Bit harsh on Pete Carrol, widely regarded as a top 5 HC in the league, aren't you? Completely agree though that until this year it felt like the Seahawks specifically tried to inhibit their best offensive player by keeping the ball out of his hands

Just now, Fray32 said:

Bit harsh on Pete Carrol, widely regarded as a top 5 HC in the league, aren't you? Completely agree though that until this year it felt like the Seahawks specifically tried to inhibit their best offensive player by keeping the ball out of his hands

And that's why it's not harsh.  Who doesn't play to his strengths?  Especially when his strength is that strong?

14 minutes ago, Fray32 said:

Pete Carroll is a defensive minded coach. 

Alright, I consider 1989-2011 to be the Golden Age of NFL Overtime.

Why? Because only 4 ties occurred in this period. Only 2 of them happened in the same year, in back-to-back weeks.

Since 2012, the number of ties has gone up, because of rule changes that eliminated the ability of the team playing first in OT to win with a field goal, as well as shortening regular season OT to 10 minutes.

The NFL should have instead in 2012, adopted the college OT rules, which were changed in 2019 to make the 5th and subsequent OTs into a 2-point conversion shootout.

It's going to get to the point where the NFL's TV partners are tired of the ability for games to end in ties. None of the other major leagues allow it.

In fact, it was likely pressure from college football broadcasters that led the NCAA to adopt their form of OT beginning with the 1995 postseason.

If I were CBS, I'd threaten to cancel NFL telecasts for the rest of the season unless the NFL committed to adopting college rules next year. These rules were made better in 2019 so it shouldn't be a big deal to adopt college rules.

Some of the greatest CFB games in the last 25 years have been OT thrillers. As an OSU fan, I can testify to this.

Russell Wilson's 14 passing TD's through the first three weeks are the most in NFL history.  He's also completing 82.5% of his passes so far this season.

His one interception on the season was on a perfectly thrown pass to Greg Olsen that went right through his hands for a tipped INT.