Week 5 GDT: Tennessee Titans(2-2) @ Miami Dolphins(1-2)

TitanLegend

Who wins the game?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the game?

• Tennessee Titans
    • Matt Cassel
    • All of the above

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/08/2017 at 05:00 PM

From Paul Kuharsky:

As you await the Titans' chance Sunday in Miami at some level of redemption, keep this in mind.

• The 1999 Titans went to the Super Bowl and lost 17-0 at Miami and 41-14 at Baltimore.
  • The 2002 playoff Titans lost to Oakland 52-25.
  • The 2003 playoff Titans lost at Indianapolis 33-7
  • The 2007 playoff Titans lost at Cincinnati 35-6.
  • The 2008 playoff Titans lose to the Jets 34-13.

None were as bad as Sunday in Houston, but I’m pretty sure you were all up in arms after all or most of those, you just weren’t able to Tweet about it. (OK, Twitter came to be in 2006, you might have tweeted about the last two.)

It’s not just the Titans: In the last 10 years, teams that went to the conference championships lost a regular-season game by at least 20 points 29 times.

That includes last year’s Green Bay Packers, a pretty good team that came to Nashville on Nov. 13, 2016 and got hammered, 47-25.

On Sept. 29, 2014, the New England Patriots got shelled by the Kansas City Chiefs 41-14.

Titans cornerback Logan Ryan was on that Patriots team.

“We lost to Kansas City pretty bad on Monday Night Football, they might have set a record for the loudest outdoor venue and people were calling for Tom Brady’s job and (Bill) Belichick’s job, and my job and everybody had to go,” Ryan said on The Midday 180 on Tuesday.

“And we won the Super Bowl that year.”

No, the 2017 Titans are not the 2014 Patriots.

But plenty of good teams suffer terrible losses during their regular season journey. It’s unwise to write the Titans, or anybody, off this early.

“We’ve seen in the NFL where teams that have no business losing -- quote, unquote – got handled pretty well,” Ryan said. “We got punched in the face. Now how are we going to respond?”

https://www.paulkuharsky.com/news/we-don-t-know-if-the-titans-are-good-yet-but-lots-of-good-teams-have-suffered-terrible-losses

6 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

I wonder what caused this myth. Was just a couple seasons ago that the superbowl champion suffered a similar loss in the exact same week of the season. Pats lost 41-14. They were also 2-2. They also had people massively overreacting, wondering if Brady was done, wondering if Belichick was ever going to win another superbowl(he hadn't won one since 2004, speculation at the time was they were only winning so much because their division was always garbage and Brady was keeping them afloat, and now that Brady was "struggling" people thought the entire thing was collapsing in New England)

And if Mariota never gets hurt the final score is no where near as ugly as 57-14 or whatever the hell it was. We were moving the ball at will on our previous two drives with Mariota healthy.

People need to just settle down.

Wish more fans had reason like this. People are seriously not going to watch the game because of last week, it's mind blowing.xD

20 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

And if Mariota never gets hurt the final score is no where near as ugly as 57-14 or whatever the hell it was. We were moving the ball at will on our previous two drives with Mariota healthy.

this is true. it would've been bad, probably 20something to 40something, but not the weapons-grade embarrassment it was.

however, i think at this point this is a team that it's a bad idea to have any real expectations for because of the coaching decisions (mostly on defense) that went into making that game the disaster it was. those aren't going away any time soon.

30 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

Not sure how much this really means, but FWIW:

I think we all know that Marcus is going to push to play. It will be up to the coaching and medical staffs to be smart with him.

I'm not going to at all be surprised if Mariota is under center Sunday, I just hope they don't push things and risk the season for one game, even if it's the rare one that I will be at.

18 hours ago, titans0021 said:

It's days like today that make me miss the Rusty Smith era.

Rusty Smith...what a friggin' legend. I wonder if we could coax him to come save the team this week if MM doesn't play.

If we sign Rusty before Sunday:

Titans 106

Dolphins 3

But real prediction:

Titans 24

Dolphins 9

I expect him to be under Center Sunday it’s a big game even if it’s against the Dolphins. It’s easier said than done but I’d open the playbook up and try hard to be up big by halftime or in the 3rd Quarter to be able to pull Marcus out again easier said than done but i can dream can’t I 

Selfishly part of me wants Marcus to sit just to ensure he is healthy for MNF vs Indy(because my awesome wife got us great 50yrd line tickets) but a win is a win and this game may actually be more winnable than the Colts game. This is our first game to watch in Nashville so I need Mariota to be in full effect.

Just looking at the schedules the rest of the way it’s going to be a dog fight to the end for the division title. I’m not complaining it’s good that the Titans have to earn their way into the playoffs but this Sunday really is a big game because if Texans lose we win we take back the lead. A lot of big ifs the rest of the way but you have the Colts at home with no Luck and the Texans hosting Cleveland. Then the Texans have a bye when we go to Cleveland. Then we need Seattle so some how future this thing out and hopefully give Watson a bad game because after that the Titans schedule toughens up with tough games against Balt and Cin. The one game I said was a sure fire loss when the schedule came out and I still believe that (it’s winnable but we get screwed being the road team) is the TNF in Pitt. Then after that Indy and the most important game of the season Houston back at home. Again not complaining about good football but just stressing a) Sunday is huge no matter the Dolphins record and b) Titans need to do their job and not worry about other things falling there way and just need to go out and take care of their business and earn their way into the playoffs. I think when you have a dog fight to get into the playoffs is not always the worst thing in the world it can be beneficial to the team

Just looking back at other injuries for Mariota, in 2013 at Oregon he strained his MCL against Stanford,  stayed in the game, and didn't miss any games afterwards either. So safe to say if it is up to him, he's probably wanting and willing to play Sunday. Worth noting as well his rushing took a serious hit. He only rushed it 3 times vs Stanford with that injury and then the next week vs Utah he's listed at 4 carries for -18 yards(NCAA counts sacks as rushing attempts, so safe to say he pretty much didn't run at all).

Being forced in to a pure pocket passer due to injury won't be anything new for him if it's what ends up happening.

Archived