Mass Effect Legendary Edition

Kiltman

This has been circling within the rumor mill forever, so heavy grain of salt. 
But I figured I’d make a thread on it because I just want it to happen...

https://venturebeat.com/2020/09/25/mass-effect-legendary-edition-is-still-coming-but-not-this-year/

• "impressive upgrades" on ME2 and ME3
  • internal delay due to Mass Effect 1 feeling dated both in gameplay and graphics. Want to bring ME1 up to par with the aforementioned "impressive ugrades"
  • obviously COVID19 hampered development
  • will include all singleplayer DLC
  • no multiplayer (and therefore no live service element either)

more from a podcast 

• Again: they want to bring gameplay and visuals of the original Mass Effect up to snuff with the other two.
  • Not sure what the specifics are
  • ME1 is now the focus, getting extra attention compared to the other 2
  • He says it "sounds closer" to the Zelda HD remasters than the Mario HD remasters
  • He says BioWare is handling the Legendary Edition as opposed to it being (entirely) outsourced.

Had been rumored as an October-November release. Now will be in 2021...if it’s a real thing.

I will gladly give them my money.  I have done three total playthroughs, and probably done at least three other playthroughs of 2 and 3.  I've also done two playthroughs of Andromeda.  

ME1 is clearly a different game from 2 and 3.  It's going to be tough to rework it to make it more like those.  At that point, it's almost like creating a whole new game with the combat system.  I think they should let it be.  If that much work is going to go into it, I'd rather get a new game.  

I'm also not concerned either way about multiplayer.  I never played it in ME3 or Andromeda, but I know some people liked it.  Mass Effect has always been about the story for me, and I'd rather them focus solely on that.  Hell, charge me $80-$100 for a supercharged, 100 hour campaign.  I'll gladly pay that.  

32 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I will gladly give them my money.  I have done three total playthroughs, and probably done at least three other playthroughs of 2 and 3.  I've also done two playthroughs of Andromeda.  

ME1 is clearly a different game from 2 and 3.  It's going to be tough to rework it to make it more like those.  At that point, it's almost like creating a whole new game with the combat system.  I think they should let it be.  If that much work is going to go into it, I'd rather get a new game.  

I'm also not concerned either way about multiplayer.  I never played it in ME3 or Andromeda, but I know some people liked it.  Mass Effect has always been about the story for me, and I'd rather them focus solely on that.  Hell, charge me $80-$100 for a supercharged, 100 hour campaign.  I'll gladly pay that.  

ME3 multiplayer was actually pretty fun.

4 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

ME3 multiplayer was actually pretty fun.

I notice an immediate drop in quality once a single-player game goes multiplayer with a franchise like this.  Happened with ME3 and Andromeda, and happened with Assassin's Creed.  Funny how that franchise got stale for quite a bit and rebounded when they refocused on the single player.  

Not trying to say it wasn't fun.  I didn't play it, because I was there for the story, and that's what got them there.  I would have preferred them give us more content, but I guess the armor packs and such got them quite a bit of money. 

6 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I notice an immediate drop in quality once a single-player game goes multiplayer with a franchise like this.  Happened with ME3 and Andromeda, and happened with Assassin's Creed.  Funny how that franchise got stale for quite a bit and rebounded when they refocused on the single player.  

Not trying to say it wasn't fun.  I didn't play it, because I was there for the story, and that's what got them there.  I would have preferred them give us more content, but I guess the armor packs and such got them quite a bit of money. 

You think ME3 was stale?  I mean it wasn’t the epic game ME2 was but it was a good game.  I played Andromeda once, then when they said no dlc was coming just gave up on it.

6 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

You think ME3 was stale?  I mean it wasn’t the epic game ME2 was but it was a good game.  I played Andromeda once, then when they said no dlc was coming just gave up on it.

I think it could have been better without the added multiplayer component.  I would have preferred those resources be spent elsewhere to enhance the story and give us more DLC.  

Not having any Andromeda DLC really sucked.  I played a Scott playthrough at launch on PC, and then this past winter I did a Sara playthrough on XB1.  After they fixed some of the crazy animations, it's a good game.  It is obvious that they intended for quite a bit of DLC which was just left out of the game because of all of the resources spent on fixing the animations, and then they pulled almost all of their staff towards Anthem.  Even the crew for The Old Republic was reduced, and some guys pulling double-duty.  

EDIT: I did enjoy all of the Andromeda novels, especially the one about the Quarian Ark.  

• Like 1