Sign in to follow this  
soulman

ARob's Contract Extenion......

Here's what some NFL executives think of Allen Robinson's contract situation

usatsi_13707570.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1
Untitled-design-19.png?w=48&h=48

Bryan Perez   https://bearswire.usatoday.com/2020/09/25/heres-what-some-nfl-executives-think-of-allen-robinsons-contract-situation/

Chicago Bears wide receiver Allen Robinson has a contract problem. At least, he and most Bears fans think he does.

General manager Ryan Pace has expressed his desire to re-sign Robinson to a contract extension — A-Rob is playing on the final year of the three-year, $42 million deal he signed in 2018. It’s just taking a lot longer than anyone imagined it would.

With each passing week comes a fluctuation in Robinson’s expected price tag. It’s unlikely his salary demands will go down, even if his production isn’t great. As other wide receivers ink new deals (and skill players, in general, get rewarded with new contracts), Robinson will take notice and want his piece of the pie.

And think about it: as we get closer to the end of the season, Robinson gets closer to unrestricted free agency. If the Bears want to use the franchise tag on him next offseason, it’ll come at a cost of $18 million, a bump in pay by $4 million for Robinson. While a one-year deal isn’t optimal for a player with an ACL injury in his history, it at least gives Robinson some leverage in negotiations.

The Athletic’s Mike Sando recently surveyed NFL executives about Robinson’s contract situation and what a new deal could look like for the 27-year-old wideout.

“Robinson and (Kenny) Golladay are 27 — if they sign a three-year deal, they might not get another big deal at 30,” an exec told Sando. “They probably need to be looking at a five-year deal and try to get the first three years guaranteed.”

The biggest complication in Robinson’s contract talks is the reduction coming in next year’s salary cap. The novel coronavirus has taken its toll on NFL revenue and the salary cap is expected to shrink to $175 million.

Essentially, there will be less money to go around.

“On a $175 million cap, the market is the same as when Allen Robinson, Sammy Watkins, Davante Adams and those guys did their deals,” another exec told Sando. “The problem is, all these other guys are $17-18-19 million, so that is the number guys are shooting for now (with a cap similar to the 2018 version).”

Let's admit it.  This is now the current elephant in the room and it may be impacting ARob's play and if not it's surely impacting his attitude at the moment.

He chose the Bears and an inexperienced QB over GB and Aaron Rodger and agreed to a $14 mil APY deal after coming off an ACL injury.  Although the injury may have had some impact on his getting back to full speed in 2018 he proved his worth as a #1 WR in 2019 despite the struggles by Mitch and the offense in general.  There have been several games where in fact he basically was the offense. 

While I don't see any argument about his talent or status as a #1 WR I do recognize the conundrum the Bears have with offering an extension based on 2020 cap money.

Unless the NFL owners agree to some kind of "fix" that spreads that reduction out over several years the 2021 cap may be significantly lower which will handicap all 32 teams as far as contracts go.  If the two sides can't come to an agreement Pace then has to decide whether or not to tag ARob at a cost of $18 mil which would be even more difficult to deal with cap wise than a longer term deal with a much lower cap hit in 2021.

In addition to the money could it also be an issue over the length of the deal?

As the article state a 3 year deal creates the need to negotiate yet another contract at age 30 when his production may have begun to decline.  Of course if only 3 years are guaranteed and the dead cap hit isn't to great any deal ARob gets now may only last another 3 seasons anyway.  Such is life in the NFL for a WR.  While the length of the deal being asked vs offered has not been mentioned dollars figures have been with ARob at around $18 mil APY and the Bears at $15-$16 mil APY.

Earlier this year I thought they would have resolved this by now and the fact they haven't causes some concern based somewhat on how the situation with Mitch works out.  If he succeeds as the #1 QB this year we'll need to either extend or re-sign him as well although the amount is pretty uncertain at the moment.  All things considered this was not a good time to have a pandemic impact NFL revenues and the cap.  Some tough decisions may have to be made.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, soulman said:

Here's what some NFL executives think of Allen Robinson's contract situation

usatsi_13707570.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

Chicago Bears wide receiver Allen Robinson has a contract problem. At least, he and most Bears fans think he does.

General manager Ryan Pace has expressed his desire to re-sign Robinson to a contract extension — A-Rob is playing on the final year of the three-year, $42 million deal he signed in 2018. It’s just taking a lot longer than anyone imagined it would.

With each passing week comes a fluctuation in Robinson’s expected price tag. It’s unlikely his salary demands will go down, even if his production isn’t great. As other wide receivers ink new deals (and skill players, in general, get rewarded with new contracts), Robinson will take notice and want his piece of the pie.

And think about it: as we get closer to the end of the season, Robinson gets closer to unrestricted free agency. If the Bears want to use the franchise tag on him next offseason, it’ll come at a cost of $18 million, a bump in pay by $4 million for Robinson. While a one-year deal isn’t optimal for a player with an ACL injury in his history, it at least gives Robinson some leverage in negotiations.

The Athletic’s Mike Sando recently surveyed NFL executives about Robinson’s contract situation and what a new deal could look like for the 27-year-old wideout.

“Robinson and (Kenny) Golladay are 27 — if they sign a three-year deal, they might not get another big deal at 30,” an exec told Sando. “They probably need to be looking at a five-year deal and try to get the first three years guaranteed.”

The biggest complication in Robinson’s contract talks is the reduction coming in next year’s salary cap. The novel coronavirus has taken its toll on NFL revenue and the salary cap is expected to shrink to $175 million.

Essentially, there will be less money to go around.

“On a $175 million cap, the market is the same as when Allen Robinson, Sammy Watkins, Davante Adams and those guys did their deals,” another exec told Sando. “The problem is, all these other guys are $17-18-19 million, so that is the number guys are shooting for now (with a cap similar to the 2018 version).”

5, 3 or 20 the only thing that matters is the guaranteed money.

I think Pace is doing the right thing here as unpopular as it is with fan base.  Don’t over pay for WRs not named Randy Moss or Calvin Johnson, someone uncoverable by one person without giving up a big play.  Almost worse than overpaying for a RB.

If ARob wants to continue to give less than best effort in a huff he is only costing himself money.   I don’t feel sorry for him.  He is getting paid well right now.  He isn’t on a rookie deal and he will get a raise next year from Bears or elsewhere.  

Now I am starting to come around to idea that enough games can be played with cap that you can keep anyone you want if you really want them.   So in a sense cap is a myth.   But only certain teams operate that way and Bears, while not cheap, are not one of them.

I would build my teams around QB and O lines and Pass Rushers and secondary.  

Let’s not forget that many fans roasted Pace over not giving Cam Meredith a big deal.

Obviously in a revenue sharing league if league doesn’t make as much money, there is less money for all players.

I wonder sometimes if players get that.  I think many do not.   Special players will still get paid and they look at them, but pie gets shrunk.  If pie grows your slice can get bigger too.  

Kinda of analogous to people being okay with a new tax on this industry or that industry, but then getting mad when said industry raises prices on goods they buy as a result.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, soulman said:

Let's admit it.  This is now the current elephant in the room and it may be impacting ARob's play and if not it's surely impacting his attitude at the moment.

It's quite obviously affecting Robinson's play. It's getting to the point that we'll start hearing broadcasters calling him out on it soon (if it continues, that is). 

On 9/26/2020 at 7:15 AM, dll2000 said:

5, 3 or 20 the only thing that matters is the guaranteed money.

I think Pace is doing the right thing here as unpopular as it is with fan base.  Don’t over pay for WRs not named Randy Moss or Calvin Johnson, someone uncoverable by one person without giving up a big play.  Almost worse than overpaying for a RB.

If ARob wants to continue to give less than best effort in a huff he is only costing himself money.   I don’t feel sorry for him.  He is getting paid well right now.  He isn’t on a rookie deal and he will get a raise next year from Bears or elsewhere.  

Now I am starting to come around to idea that enough games can be played with cap that you can keep anyone you want if you really want them.   So in a sense cap is a myth.   But only certain teams operate that way and Bears, while not cheap, are not one of them.

I would build my teams around QB and O lines and Pass Rushers and secondary.  

Here's the top NFL WR ranked my their GTD $$$.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/contracts/sort-guaranteed/wide-receiver/limit-100/

A top ten deal would come with an offer of around $40 mil gtd and up from there.  His previous deal gtd $25.2 mil and now ranks him as the 19th highest paid WR so it only makes sense that he's looking for a bump in what may be his last big dollar deal.  What's he worth in terms of gtd $$$?

On 9/26/2020 at 7:32 AM, dll2000 said:

Obviously in a revenue sharing league if league doesn’t make as much money, there is less money for all players.

I wonder sometimes if players get that.  I think many do not.   Special players will still get paid and they look at them, but pie gets shrunk.  If pie grows your slice can get bigger too.  

Kinda of analogous to people being okay with a new tax on this industry or that industry, but then getting mad when said industry raises prices on goods they buy as a result.

Yup, it's all interconnected in some way but I wouldn't exactly equate taxation on corporations in the same way we look at the NFL.  The NFL has a virtual monopoly on pro football and the prices it can charge result from that.  Consumers have more influence on what they will or won't pay for products which are not controlled in such a monopolistic manner.  I can buy musical gear from dozens of mfgs but if I want a seat at a Broncos game I have to pay what they charge without recourse.

The question I have is if the cap is lowered by that much in 2021 are existing contracts gonna be scaled back by the same percentage the cap is reduced?

As far as ARob goes I'm all for paying him top dollar based on his value to the Bears only, not 31 other teams.  But what is that value?

The interception luck is a fluke.

Pay him. 18/season tomorrow and get it done before next offseason when the cap is gojng to ball kick us.

On 9/26/2020 at 9:19 AM, dll2000 said:

Let’s not forget that many fans roasted Pace over not giving Cam Meredith a big deal.

Uhh

1 hour ago, Ty21 said:

Uhh

Pretty sure most people liked Cam but said if his knee is jacked, Pace is right to let him choose where to go... Went to the Saints, underperformed and got injured. Cut.

1 hour ago, The_Romen said:

Pretty sure most people liked Cam but said if his knee is jacked, Pace is right to let him choose where to go... Went to the Saints, underperformed and got injured. Cut.

He was tagged.   Saints made an offer and Bears didn’t match.  People were mad Pace didn’t match.  They also thought he should have been tagged with 2nd rounder.    

If Bears had done that they may have been left holding bag.  Likely.