Jamaal Williams is really really good/Lucas Patrick is not

AlexGreen#20

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Do you see Williams getting 5, or anything close to it? The second tier veteran RB market is basically nothing. 5 million AAv would have him tied with Mark Ingram for the 17th highest RB contract this year. 

No idea. We just gave Lowry $6-7m/yr so all bets are off.

I wish we could have seen more from Dexter Williams. He has a similar skillset as Jones. like Aaron he can score from anywhere on the field. When you watch his college tape you can see that he's explosive, he took a 98 yard run to the house. He also has the ability to catch to ball, too bad he ended up in MLF doghouse. I would like to see more from him to make me feel comfortable moving on from Jones.

Great collection and analysis, Alex.  thanks much, love it.  

Williams has been playing really well.  Love him.  

I do admit I love Jones more.  He's quicker back.  As noted several times, Jamaal takes what the blocking gives him.  I admit I kinda feel like Jones sometimes takes more than the blocking gives him, or gets more from what they give.   

As you noted, both guys have been really excellent in the pass-blocking.  There's been a lot of praise for the pass protection and the O-line.  But often how well the o-line is doing is evaluated based on sacks and pressures.  As your clips show, without the superb blocking by Jones and Williams, there are some pressures made and completions not made.  The blocking by Jones on the long pass to MVS was fantastic.  

As a runner, I think Jones quickness and decision-making make a difference.  On the 75, he did hardly anything.  Ran up a hole in the line and ran upfield between some really poorly positioned guys behind the line.  Maybe anybody could have made that run, and that was actually one of the less impressive runs of the day.  A lot of 5-yard runs are probably actually more impressive.  Still, he was very quick to see and dart through the gap at the line, which was closing even as he darted through it. A slight hesitation, perhaps a taller more upright back, and perhaps he doesn't get through quite so clean.  Only take a hand on the arm or a push to the shoulder as you're dashing through to slow a guy down a nanosecond, or to shift his momentum a trace sideways, or to shift his body weight and site-line so that it's a few milliseconds slower firing between the two poorly-positioned behind-the-line guys.  Just a little bit slower, a little bit taller, and again one of those guys gets enough of a hand or a reach or a bump that needs to be broken so that the runner doesn't fly through at full speed, and perhaps 75 is instead 18.

I guess I'm wondering whether, despite how little Jones actually did on that play, whether even with the same bad defense and good blocking and everything else exactly the same, I wonder how many backs would have actually been able to fully capitalize on those fleeting windows of opportunity,  both right at the line and then again right behind the line?  My guess is that Jamaal maybe wouldn't have?   

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Lots of really cool stuff by AlexGreen removed to prevent a really long quote page

Thanks as always for the analysis.  Good to see Williams making plays in both the running game and pass protection.  

Curious....why is the text between clips white/black background?  

I don't think it's unreasonable to think both Jones and J-Williams could be playing outside of GB next season.  I expect the Dillon pick was hedging against that exact scenario, even if the plan is to retain one of them.  Jones may be playing his way out of GB price range, and I expect J-Williams will get a better contract than what seems to be expected.  A 2021 backfield of Dillon + D-Williams doesn't seem at all unrealistic to me, and I doubt that either Gute or MLF have any real issue with that path forward.

6 hours ago, craig said:

I guess I'm wondering whether, despite how little Jones actually did on that play, whether even with the same bad defense and good blocking and everything else exactly the same, I wonder how many backs would have actually been able to fully capitalize on those fleeting windows of opportunity,  both right at the line and then again right behind the line?  My guess is that Jamaal maybe wouldn't have?   

I don't known how long that run would have been had the ball been handed to Williams rather than Jones, but I am quite confident it would not have been 75.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KFP7 said:

Thanks as always for the analysis.  Good to see Williams making plays in both the running game and pass protection.  

Curious....why is the text between clips white/black background?  

I upload from imgur. Imgur has a black background white text setup. Since the site transitioned, when I copy the links, it steals the font formatting.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Jamaal Williams is really really good/Lucas Patrick is not

Aft we watching OG Runyan play, I suggested we should be starting him, prepping him for the future as I thought he could play now and if we stat him now, he might be fully ready by playoffs.

With that thought, I didn't say it, but I was thinking, and he might be better than Patrick whom we're starting instead.

Someone thought it was a stupid idea, as long we were in the hunt for a top seed and didn't have a 30+ point lead.

But what are your thoughts on starting Patrick vs starting Runyan? I know Runyan isn't completely ready, but I'm thinking getting him ready quicker might be worth the growing pains, vs delaying them and having Patrick play... what are your thoughts on that?

Of course, when/if Turner gets back, that might be a moot point as the starring lineup might be Bak, Jenkins, Linsley, Turner and Wagner, but still.

6 hours ago, Beast said:

Aft we watching OG Runyan play, I suggested we should be starting him, prepping him for the future as I thought he could play now and if we stat him now, he might be fully ready by playoffs.

With that thought, I didn't say it, but I was thinking, and he might be better than Patrick whom we're starting instead.

Someone thought it was a stupid idea, as long we were in the hunt for a top seed and didn't have a 30+ point lead.

But what are your thoughts on starting Patrick vs starting Runyan? I know Runyan isn't completely ready, but I'm thinking getting him ready quicker might be worth the growing pains, vs delaying them and having Patrick play... what are your thoughts on that?

Of course, when/if Turner gets back, that might be a moot point as the starring lineup might be Bak, Jenkins, Linsley, Turner and Wagner, but still.

My thoughts are to get Turner back and hopefully stop worrying about this. 

On Jones' 75Y TD, it was a team play, but Jones was excellent on the run.

The spin that it was an easy run setup by a Bakh/Jenk combo block and poor play by the Lions' safeties is silly.

LSS, it was a beautiful run by Jones setup by the entire OL to take advantage of the Lions two high safety set.

The entire OL dominated their blocks. Wagner's guy went wide and was out of the play. Patrick stoned his guy at the LS and Linsley got to the 2nd level to stone the LB- that' s the gap Jones ran through.

The Lions had two high safeties, challenging the Packers to run. When Jones got the ball, he looked at  the lane on the strong side setup by Bakh/Jenk. The strong side safety had to cover that lane, he did his job... Jones cut to the weak side which was open too because of the blocking by Lins, Pat & Wag (as I just pointed out). The Lions weak side safety and Jones were looking eye to, then Jones cut it upfield and out ran the angle of the weakside safety for the TD.

15 minutes ago, Donzo said:

On Jones' 75Y TD, it was a team play, but Jones was excellent on the run.

The spin that it was an easy run setup by a Bakh/Jenk combo block and poor play by the Lions' safeties is silly.

LSS, it was a beautiful run by Jones setup by the entire OL to take advantage of the Lions two high safety set.

The entire OL dominated their blocks. Wagner's guy went wide and was out of the play. Patrick stoned his guy at the LS and Linsley got to the 2nd level to stone the LB- that' s the gap Jones ran through.

The Lions had two high safeties, challenging the Packers to run. When Jones got the ball, he looked at  the lane on the strong side setup by Bakh/Jenk. The strong side safety had to cover that lane, he did his job... Jones cut to the weak side which was open too because of the blocking by Lins, Pat & Wag (as I just pointed out). The Lions weak side safety and Jones were looking eye to, then Jones cut it upfield and out ran the angle of the weakside safety for the TD.

Jones didn't cut anywhere. He ran straight ahead, sidestepped Jenkins and ran straight.