NCAAF Week 4 Prospect Talk

rackcs

15 hours ago, NYRaider said:

There's still a lot of football left to be played though, he has to show it over the course of the season to warrant an early draft selection. One of the biggest question marks surrounding his game at Stanford was his decision making and turning the ball over 4 times to start the season isn't a good look.

Consistency will be key for him this year. He had his moments at Stanford in 2018 where he looked dominant but he just couldn't sustain it. For example had like 350 passing yards 2 TD against Washington but threw 3 picks including one at the end of the game to seal their loss. Then the following two weeks passed for like 700 yards, 9 TD, 1 INT and followed that up by completing 6/17 passes for 105 yards in their bowl game. 

I'd also like to see him be a little more accurate. We've seen guys like Minshew, Falk, and Gordon complete 70% of their passes and put up gaudy numbers in Leach's system over the past couple of years. 

While you do have a really good argument against what I said earlier, you made some really good points in which we have to see, but the one I have an issue with is his accuracy. What I saw Saturday is as accurate a QB i've seen in a while, the dimes that he dropped we nothing short of gorgeous. I absolutely have zero dog in the fight, with him but what he showed me was something NFL teams will covet highly. And realize, a player can grow from where they were, hell, Joe Burrow wasn't who he was until he got to LSU.

On this highlight I time marked all of the throws that were accurate, NFL caliber throws, there is absolutely no denying the film (at least for this game)

1:01, 2:16, 3:06, 3:14, 4:44, 6:03, 6:15, 8:51, 11:13, 11:35

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ozzy said:

*the world is in an international Pandemic

*the SEC did not start till late September

*there was no spring football because of the Pandemic and less practice time and coaching time

*LSU lost 6 starters on defense to the NFL

*LSU had two defensive starters sit out the game because of COVID concerns

*LSU had an injured defensive lineman starter

*LSU had their best returning defensive back have to sit because he was sick right before the game

*LSU had a new defensive coordinator

*the LSU stadium was barely full because of the Pandemic and few could even go to the game and provide any type of noise or environment at 25% compacity

Still wildly impressed with the performance? 

Addressing the bold...wouldn't those actually be more in LSU's favor than Miss St. who had to bring in an entirely new coaching staff and system and then had to travel for week 1?

LSU had far more coaching continuity than Miss. St. did in this offseason.  And despite having a new DC, I don't think they really changed schemes, did they?  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, rackcs said:

I find myself caring less and less about a TE's blocking ability as the years go by. If two guys are even receiving wise, yeah the blocking could be the tie breaker. But imo Pitts looks so much more versatile and explosive and just overall a better receiving. I'm not going to take a lesser weapon in the passing game just because the other guy blocks better.

For Miami's situation, we already have Gesicki, and could really use an inline TE who's a threat. But most other teams don't have a threatening inline TE at the moment. 

5 hours ago, Ozzy said:

*there was no spring football because of the Pandemic and less practice time and coaching time

*LSU had their best returning defensive back have to sit because he was sick right before the game

*the LSU stadium was barely full because of the Pandemic and few could even go to the game and provide any type of noise or environment at 25% compacity

Bo? is that you?

1 hour ago, Tetsujin said:

For Miami's situation, we already have Gesicki, and could really use an inline TE who's a threat. But most other teams don't have a threatening inline TE at the moment. 

That's fair. I was speaking more in general than about any specific situation. 

8 hours ago, Ozzy said:

You clearly have a side agenda where you would love if Mike Leach and especially Costello are successful in the SEC, because then that means the Pac-12 is not as bad as some say and the SEC is not as good as some say. 

1. I do? Actually, Leach leaving hurt the conference imo. Why would I want a proven commodity to split for a bottom team in the SEC? I railed against it and called it a bad move. I don't want the Pac12 to be the SEC's stepping stone for coaches. 

I was hoping KJ Costello would transfer in-conference. When he ultimately chose Mississippi State, I feared the worst. His stock took a huge hit last year, and I didn't see going into a gimmicky QB-friendly offense on a bottom tier SEC team as a good spot to rehab that stock. 

Instead, they took all of the same disadvantages as LSU into Baton Rouge and had a record-setting day that could arguably have been even better. Despite your excuses, LSU didn't show up without talent. A bunch of top 5 picks? No. But still better than average SEC D's. If it wasn't an impressive performance, why was it on the brink of shattering conference records? Why wasn't that type of performance already done, say, last year by the best QB performance the conference had seen? Not like Arkansas, Ole Miss, or Vandy were better in 2019 than LSU in 2020. 

So, no, their success in the SEC does nothing good for the Pac12. We lost a top flight HC and a proven commodity at QB. Washington, Washington St, Oregon St, Oregon, Arizona, UCLA, Cal, Utah, and Colorado all could have used Costello this year. 6 of those squads have enough talent that nobody would have been shocked if they had had 10+ wins and national relevancy. A few are bonafide top 10-15 teams. Yet he chose a team stuck behind A&M, LSU, Tennessee, Bama, Auburn, Florida, and Georgia? MSU was, at best, the 5th best team in their division! How does a top flight transfer QB choosing them over a Pac12 program securely in the top 25 help the Pac12? It doesn't. What does Leach leaving a program he built into a contender for a bottom of the division squad do for the Pac12? It makes it look like the bottom of the SECW is better than the top of the Pac12. So your assumption and reasoning are both extremely absurd.

2. Yes, because it was extremely impressive. If KJ Costello came into Baton Rouge in 2018 with his Stanford team and went 300 yards and 3 TDs, I don't think anyone bats an eye. Instead, he came in with a new coach, system, and supporting cast and outside of a few mistakes, put on an absolute clinic with lesser talent around him. Had he not goofed on the fumbles or INTs, he very likely hits the all-time NCAA passing yards in a game record. No matter how you slice it, that's an impressive performance. The fact he was dropping absolute dimes for much of the game makes it even more impressive. Until you're talking about some D2 or SunBelt D, it's ridiculously impressive for a first outing. 

Was it the best performance in history? No. Has anyone here said "he's now pushing Lawrence and Fields"? No. In fact, even us singing his praises are saying it could have been better and he's got some stuff to clean up if he wants to move into 33-50 contention. @NYRaider even explicitly said he's only competing for QB4 after this performance. 

But you're sounding like a spoiled LSU homer who needs every possible excuse to make up for LSU being humbled. They have plenty of talent on their roster. Certainly enough to expect them to not give up 600+ passing yards to a less talented opponent. 

The stat line was impressive on its own. The on-field play, sans the mistakes we've called out, was also impressive. He could've gone just 350 and 3TDs and it would have been impressive given the way he was playing. 

Edited by ronjon1990

53 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Was it the best performance in history? No. Has anyone here said "he's now pushing Lawrence and Fields"? No. In fact, even us singing his praises are saying it could have been better and he's got some stuff to clean up if he wants to move into 33-50 contention. @NYRaider even explicitly said he's only competing for QB4 after this performance. 

Yeah, we've both made it clear that we think Costello can move up draft boards IF he continues to play at a high level throughout the season. I mean he just set the SEC record for passing yards in a game against the defending national champions on the road in his first game every playing in Leach's system. 

Even more than the stats though he made a lot of throws that made you go "wow" as @MSURacerDT55 highlighted above. Throws that you see from players that are usually taken early in the draft. He'll need to do it over the course of the season but he has always had the physical tools, he has just had issues with consistency and taking care of the football. So as you said it's far from a reach to assume that he could move up to be QB4 and be selected in the late 1st to early second round in the same range as we've seen guys like Jordan Love and Drew Lock be selected in over the last two years. 

• Like 1

On 9/29/2020 at 4:40 AM, Ozzy said:

• Mississippi State also had to deal with the late start. 

• Mississippi State has a completely new coaching staff and had no spring football, less practice time, and less coaching time.

• Costello was starting his first game in Leach's system with limited reps or time around his teammates. 

• Mississippi State had to replace 3 starters on their offensive line. 

• Mississippi State hasn't had a WR go for 600+ yards since 2016. 

Costello just broke the SEC record for passing yards in a game despite all of the factors listed above. LSU won more games last season then Mississippi State won the last two seasons combined and had more 4/5* recruits in their 2020 class then Mississippi State has had in their last three recruiting cycles combined. 

On 9/29/2020 at 8:32 AM, Ragnarok said:

Addressing the bold...wouldn't those actually be more in LSU's favor than Miss St. who had to bring in an entirely new coaching staff and system and then had to travel for week 1?

LSU had far more coaching continuity than Miss. St. did in this offseason.  And despite having a new DC, I don't think they really changed schemes, did they?  

A new coaching staff, offensive system, and QB going on the road to play against the National Champions after an offseason with no spring football and limited fall practices. 

On 9/29/2020 at 8:06 PM, beekay414 said:

Remember, you are arguing with someone who said Minnesota has more talent than Wisconsin and is a literal meme in the college football forum. The dude has no clue how recruiting works. If it's not proven talent, he thinks they suck lol.

Was that the year before or after they beat Wisconsin on the road?  The same Minnesota team that had more players drafted last year than Wisconsin did last year?  I said more talent not better high end talent even though that Minnesota team will most likely have a 1st round pick in 2021 and Wisconsin will most likely have zero 1st round picks in 2021.  

Oh and Michael Deiter does not play on a team that does not have a great offensive line, Solmon Kindley out of Georgia the 4th round pick starts at guard for them, Beau Benzschawel does not play and could get cut in a year or two as well.  Oh and Tyler Biadasz  does not play on a team that has a decimated offensive line as well.  Oh and Zach Baun does not even play for the Saints either so far, what is with that?  Van Ginkel barely plays as well but Jacobs is decent as a late round pick and Taylor can obviously play and Edwards has seen some time but not consistently yet.  

Are you going to provide lists and round rankings 8 months in advance of the up coming draft?  You going to provide weekly prospect standouts from teams across the country?  No you won't and neither will anyone else around here.   I should join that company and just talk random **** but actually never provide much of anything, sounds good.  I will just keep it all to myself for a change.

On 9/30/2020 at 2:40 PM, NYRaider said:

• Mississippi State also had to deal with the late start. 

• Mississippi State has a completely new coaching staff and had no spring football, less practice time, and less coaching time.

• Costello was starting his first game in Leach's system with limited reps or time around his teammates. 

• Mississippi State had to replace 3 starters on their offensive line. 

• Mississippi State hasn't had a WR go for 600+ yards since 2016. 

Costello just broke the SEC record for passing yards in a game despite all of the factors listed above. LSU won more games last season then Mississippi State won the last two seasons combined and had more 4/5* recruits in their 2020 class then Mississippi State has had in their last three recruiting cycles combined. 

You going to speak on any of the LSU defensive backs Miss State went up against or are you going to just speak in generalities?  You actually know the starters on this years team and last years team?  How about go off topic, break down all the quality Georgia defensive backs and who are the best pro prospects and why.  Then do the same for USC, Florida, and let us say Illinois.  

The LSU defense had major pass coverage issues last year with all those talented players on it, gave up massive numbers to Ehlinger, Tua and even Trask.  And you think without any of those players and without their best corner this year they will be great just because it is LSU and they are DBU?  Again with the generalities then.  Go draft Costello 1st round, I will wait and see him prove it against real competition.  You watch Costello much last year?  He was down right awful, as a RS FR year was very good, RS SOPH year was great but last year was pretty damn bad then the injury.  Sure could have been the talent around him but come on, Leach's system makes players who are not great look great.  Anthony Gordon lead the NCAA in passing yards last year in the regular season, think anyone cares, he is not in the NFL by the way currently.  Oh and Anthony Gordon had 570 yards passing 9 TDs against UCLA, 466 at Arizona State and 520 yards passing 5 TDs against Stanford.  Think that mattered when it came time to be drafted?  And Costello is not Gardner Minshew because he does not take care of the football, is not as athletic throwing on the move or getting away from pressure and he is not as accurate.  His release has improved, it was pretty bad up for a few years.  Granted Costello is possibly the most talented QB Leach has ever coached but that is honestly not saying much.

9 hours ago, Ozzy said:

The LSU defense had major pass coverage issues last year with all those talented players on it, gave up massive numbers to Ehlinger, Tua and even Trask.  And you think without any of those players and without their best corner this year they will be great just because it is LSU and they are DBU?  Again with the generalities then.  Go draft Costello 1st round, I will wait and see him prove it against real competition.  You watch Costello much last year?  He was down right awful, as a RS FR year was very good, RS SOPH year was great but last year was pretty damn bad then the injury.  Sure could have been the talent around him but come on, Leach's system makes players who are not great look great.  Anthony Gordon lead the NCAA in passing yards last year in the regular season, think anyone cares, he is not in the NFL by the way currently.  Oh and Anthony Gordon had 570 yards passing 9 TDs against UCLA, 466 at Arizona State and 520 yards passing 5 TDs against Stanford.  Think that mattered when it came time to be drafted?  And Costello is not Gardner Minshew because he does not take care of the football, is not as athletic throwing on the move or getting away from pressure and he is not as accurate.  His release has improved, it was pretty bad up for a few years.  Granted Costello is possibly the most talented QB Leach has ever coached but that is honestly not saying much.

Major pass coverage issues but you absolutely shut down 2 QB's that got drafted in the 1st/2nd round last year and 1 QB that will likely be the #1 pick this year. 

I said Costello could potentially be QB4 with a strong season and if he can clean up his decision making as the year goes on. I'm not anointing him as an elite prospect after a single game but that performance definitely put him on the right path. And what Gordon did has nothing to do with Costello or his draft stock. Costello was actually a pro prospect that had already played well in a pro-style system before he transferred to play for Leach. And he isn't Mindshew but he still has a skillset that translates well to the NFL and he's a much more proven player coming in as a transfer. When Mindshew was at ECU he was 3-14 as a starter and completed less then 60% of his passes.