Week 3: Tampa Bay at Denver

AKRNA

Woof. First game I miss since Tebow was our QB and it was a complete gem. Sorry boys. All I'm excited for is draft day and October 1st Thursday night football. I could give a good goddamn hell about Lock anymore. Sunshine2Sutton baby. All day every day and twice on Sundays. 

I knew our OL would be bad but this bad? It's biblical. Worst OL I've seen since David Carr took 76 sacks his rookie year. 

Risner was great last year. Cush has been a big disappointment but it doesn't look like he has many models to follow, a good coach, or decent players around him. Can't comment on Glasgow but he sure isn't special. Who woulda thunk it that Garett Bolles looks like the 2nd coming of Gary Zimmerman compared to the absolute schlubbs next him?

I was so hyped for Cush and he has been such a disappointment. Hopefully the game slows down for him soon. I really can't believe that Wilkinson is still on the roster.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, germ-x said:

100% agreed.  This is not going to be a good year.  I never thought Denver would compete for the playoffs, but thought we’d go into next year optimistic.  I really don’t see that right now.

I think we were all on that train... Unfortunately, this season has just exposed how much talent we lack literally everywhere on the field. Our best players are simply above average across the league, and we have few of those at that. 

4 hours ago, BullsandBroncos said:

Woof. First game I miss since Tebow was our QB and it was a complete gem. Sorry boys. All I'm excited for is draft day and October 1st Thursday night football. I could give a good goddamn hell about Lock anymore. Sunshine2Sutton baby. All day every day and twice on Sundays. 

I knew our OL would be bad but this bad? It's biblical. Worst OL I've seen since David Carr took 76 sacks his rookie year. 

Risner was great last year. Cush has been a big disappointment but it doesn't look like he has many models to follow, a good coach, or decent players around him. Can't comment on Glasgow but he sure isn't special. Who woulda thunk it that Garett Bolles looks like the 2nd coming of Gary Zimmerman compared to the absolute schlubbs next him?

I was so hyped for Cush and he has been such a disappointment. Hopefully the game slows down for him soon. I really can't believe that Wilkinson is still on the roster.

The OL problems are really pretty simple. Bolles is the only one consistently winning his one on ones. Pretty much everyone else is getting abused. 

I'm not too surprised. Starting a rookie center is pretty tough unless you're real solid in the IOL which we aren't. Add in a new RG, same old RT and no preseason and it's a bit of a recipe for disaster. From what I've seen so far we might want to put Schlottman at RG and move Glasgow to center until Cush can get the hang of the game.

12 hours ago, broncos67 said:

Complete tire fire, but frankly with the injuries and the quality at QB currently, hard to expect much more than what we're currently seeing. Everyone looked wildly disinterested. I think the highlight of this game for me was the fact that the under (43.5) hit. Beyond that, not much happening. Hard for me to really blame this on anyone- the sheer # of injuries we've had are clearly taking their toll, and we have a lot of young guys with no real offseason. I don't think we're actually this bad, but we are still a bad team given the # of injuries.

I think we are easily a team with a Top 5 pick. Could be bad enough to get #1 overall. And frankly, if that's even a remote option, we better go full tank for Lawrence. As I said on Twitter- there's no benefit to some moral victories and the 8th pick. We have a young offense with the pieces in place. If you can get Lawrence (or maybe Fields), go do it

Stop talking Trevor Lawrence. The problem is not the QB but the OL. Get Lawrence with this line he will win 0 game. 

43 minutes ago, French Fan said:

Stop talking Trevor Lawrence. The problem is not the QB but the OL. Get Lawrence with this line he will win 0 game. 

Trevor Lawrence is the best QB prospect in a long time. Drew Lock has two more controllable years. QB is the most important position in any sport. I am not denying the OL is a significant issue. What I'm saying is because this team is playing poorly, they may have a chance to fall backwards into Lawrence, and they should take him if that's the case.

• Like 1

The OL is definitely an issue. But once again, our constant changing of Offensive scheme rears its ugly head.

We've got yet another new scheme with yet more terminology, and thus everyone is in year 1 of this scheme. That means it takes longer to get out of the huddle (we aren't lining up until 10 on the play clock), which means less time to change protections and less time to change the play.

Even if we want to change the play, we've got rookies all over the place who don't know what they are doing (fully, at least) and QBs who can't think quick enough to change anything.

It is a total mess. As Fangio himself said after the game - teams are going to keep sending men until we make them pay. The best QBs spot the blitz presnap and then find the desirable match up accordingly. If there isn't one, change the routes or find a good way to throw the ball away without intentional grounding.

In that 'Brady 6' documentary, Steve Marucci said "the lights were just too bright" for Giovanni Carmazzi. It's the same for Driskel. He just doesn't have the mental fortitude to be able to go through progressions under pressure. Not many can, so that isn't an insult. But why are we giving $2.5m a year to him if that is him, and it's always been him?

• Like 1

Well, that was an old-fashioned curb stomp of a game.

For those that despair at our OL - keep in mind 4 things:

1.  New units take longer to gel.   Normally it takes 2-3 preseason games, and then 1-2 regular season games at the best of times.     This year, we have no PS games,  no full contact scrimmages.  And worse, we have 2 guys learning to play with everyone else (in reality, Wilkinson is #3 since he's playing RT - if you call that playing lol). 

2.  The new scheme also lengthens the adjustment phase, as lomax referenced.

3.  Rookies don't usually adapt as quickly as Risner did last year, especially Day 2 picks.   Cushenberry's struggles don't surprise me, especially given #1.   IMO Risner was a Day 1 talent who fell due to his positional devaluation - but we get spoiled thinking it will be just as seamless an adjustment for Cushenberry's rookie year given what Risner did last year.   It's the exception, not the norm.

4.  People underestimate how much Lock helped the OL as a baseline.    He was sacked on average 1 in 33 plays.    The sack rate is something like 1 in 14-15 plays since last year when Lock wasn't under center.   Lock's ability to feel pressure and move out of the pocket, or get rid of the ball before pressure got there, was a huge plus.     

Driskel, Rypien, etc. - are all JAG's.   Our play vs. a good pass rush shouldn't surprise anyone, given #1 to #3.    Our OL play isn't good, it's awful right now - and that's shouldn't be a surprise.   Except for Wilkinson, there's every reason to expect they'll improve as their unit cohesion improves.   The problem though is that Wilkinson is at a stage where he's not going to be any better, given what he's shown so far - so even that's a big issue, as good D"s only need 1 extreme weak link to dominate a game.  Right now, there are 2-3.   But, everyone else who's struggling but Wilkinson has either played better for extended stretches (Glasgow elsewhere, Risner last year) or are rookies (Cushenberry).    

QB's can mask bad OL play - Lock's strengths actually did this before, ppl didn't appreciate this until he left.   Much like how ppl didn't appreciate how much Von takes up attention-wise as a pass rusher until he's not playing.    All of that said, Lock's still got a lot of work to do if his shoulder is OK, but at least it's clear how much a mobile QB who also has pocket presence matters.   Driskel is a mobile QB but with zero feel for pressure, or pocket presence.  

Anyways, not much reason to break down this game - short week, on to NYC.    As bad as we are - the Gase-run Jets are an abomination.    If Lock isn't coming back, though, this definitely becomes a Trevor-Bowl Game 1 edition (going to be about 6-7 games that determine who gets top pick - no chance we're in that convo with Lock healthy, but without Lock we got a glimpse of how bad things could get).

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

I know its early, and thus far I've been a supporter of Shurmer given his offenses have succeeded enough for him to get two HC gigs and I'm hoping for long term stability, BUT aren't screens to backs, bubble screens, and draw plays good ways to throw defenses off balance when they get blitz happy? I don't think I saw a single one of those yesterday... 

6 hours ago, broncos67 said:

Trevor Lawrence is the best QB prospect in a long time. Drew Lock has two more controllable years. QB is the most important position in any sport. I am not denying the OL is a significant issue. What I'm saying is because this team is playing poorly, they may have a chance to fall backwards into Lawrence, and they should take him if that's the case.

Im not sure its just the line....the offensive line looks bad because we have nobody at QB. The Steelers/TB both blitzed the crap out of the Broncos because they knew who was under center. Its hard for a OL to look good where the defense is loading the box and sending the house every other play.

Honestly, the Coordinators besides Special teams, I would give a pass too this year. Except Fangio. Dude is terrible being the head guy. And It seems like Everytime Lock gets hit, he gets hurt. Part of him getting drilled into the turf was his own fault. I'll be the first to call out the OL and say they're trash too. But they're all new players who haven't played together in a new scheme. Cush is the only one with an excuse and Wilkinson shouldn't even have played D1 ball