The Ugly, Uglier, and Ugliest against New England

NYRaider

1 minute ago, Dessie said:

That’s not what I asked.

I'm not basing it on what he has done here with our DL, I'm basing it off of what he did in Dallas over the last 6 seasons. Our DL definitely hasn't looked good this season but Rod had like what? 14 practices with them in training camp, no OTA's, and probably like 9 more practices with them this season? How much better is he going to make our guys in such limited practice time? 

Just now, NYRaider said:

I'm not basing it on what he has done here with our DL, I'm basing it off of what he did in Dallas over the last 6 seasons. Our DL definitely hasn't looked good this season but Rod had like what? 14 practices with them in training camp, no OTA's, and probably like 9 more practices with them this season? How much better is he going to make our guys in such limited practice time? 

So he hasn’t improved the DL. You can apply those excuses to Guenther as well but you are happy for him to be replaced. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Guenther hasn't been anything special. But if you're gonna make those excuses for Rod, you gotta use them for Guenther too. 

11 minutes ago, Dessie said:

So he hasn’t improved the DL. You can apply those excuses to Guenther as well but you are happy for him to be replaced. 

Gunther has been the DC here for 3 years and we've had one of the worst defenses in the league every year and look worse this year despite spending big in free agency. Rod M has actually been one of the best defensive coordinators in the league over the past decade in multiple places, lol. 

Gunther as a DC

2014 (Cincy) - 22nd in yards, 12th in points 

2015  (Cincy) - 11th in yards, 2nd in points

2016 (Cincy) - 17th in yards, 8th in points

2017 (Cincy) - 18th in yards, 16th in points

2018 (Oak) - 26th in yards, 32nd in points

2019 (Oak) - 19th in yards, 24th in points

2020 (LV) - 27th in yards, 19th in points (both will go down after today)

Rod M as a DC

2010 (Chi) - 9th in yards, 4th in points

2011 (Chi) - 17th in yards, 14th in points

2012 (Chi) - 5th in yards, 3rd in points

2014 (Dal) - 19th in yards, 15th in points

2015 (Dal) - 17th in yards, 16th in points

2016 (Dal) - 14th in yards, 5th in points

2017 (Dal) - 8th in yards, 13th in points

2018 (Dal) - 7th in yards, 6th in points

2019 (Dal) - 9th in yards, 11th in points 

Edited by NYRaider

4 minutes ago, Blazer026 said:

Guenther hasn't been anything special. But if you're gonna make those excuses for Rod, you gotta use them for Guenther too. 

Then what's Gunther's excuse for the past two seasons? Rod literally just got here and has had almost no practice team with our guys. Gunther has been here for years and has a defense that returns a bunch of pieces from last year plus 4 high end FA signings and a 1st round pick. 

Edited by NYRaider

10 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Then what's Gunther's excuse for the past two seasons? Rod literally just got here and has had almost no practice team with our guys. Gunther has been here for years and has a defense that returns a bunch of pieces from last year plus 4 high end FA signings and a 1st round pick. 

All I mean is Guenther hasn't had much time with this defense either. Abram, Arnette, Collins, Heath, Kwiatkoski, Littleton, McMillan, and Nassib are new to the team too. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Blazer026 said:

All I mean is Guenther hasn't had much time with this defense either. Abram, Arnette, Collins, Heath, Kwiatkoski, Littleton, McMillan, and Nassib are new to the team too. 

Abram was here last year though and got the whole season to watch film and learn the system. Only 3 of the guys you mentioned are currently starting with Kwiat out, 7 guys on our defense were starters here last season, and then you have Abram who was here but was hurt. So you have 60-70% of last years unit still intact depending on what you think of Abram with the new starters being guys that were supposed to be massive upgrades at positions of need. 

2019 - 355 ypg allowed, 26.1 ppg allowed

2020 - 406 ypg allowed, 30 ppg allowed

Gunther literally has had over 2 years with the team, has a huge chunk of starters from last season back, and we spent on proven free agent talent. Despite all of that we look significantly worse this year defensively. You're really trying to compare that to Rod having like two weeks of training camp to work with guys? lol. 

4 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Uglier

• We paid Littleton, Collins, and Nassib a combined $25M this offseason and they've all been terrible this year. 

• Our run D is atrocious after being respectable last season. 

Wait wasn’t it you who gave me major grief for wanting another DT and saying Maliek Collins isn’t that good and Nassib was way over paid and the 2nd year guaranteed at 9.5M was a bad idea.

i also said Littleton needs DTs to eat up blockers or he’ll be average.  Donald and Co. made him look better than he is.  I still have hope for him though.

Collins is trash.... that’s why I Was so firm in signing another DT.... the tape don’t lie and he’s bad vs the run, lacks length, and very very inactive in the run game while being undisciplined in pass rushing.

the run d is dripping off because Pj Hall was actually a rather decent run defender and Collins is horrible.  That’s another one I was criticized for saying.  I was high on Hall.

• Like 2

Just want to say.... this game was bound to go down the way it did.

we always get ourselves hyped up after a big win or 2 and start thinking playoffs and then some.... and then lose a game And “we suck”.  

The reality is we played very well and beat a Saints team that struggled without their star WR.  We played better than we consistently are.  We’re good but not good enough to beat a team coached by Billicheck or a top team like KC.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jimkelly02 said:

Wait wasn’t it you who gave me major grief for wanting another DT and saying Maliek Collins isn’t that good and Nassib was way over paid and the 2nd year guaranteed at 9.5M was a bad idea.

i also said Littleton needs DTs to eat up blockers or he’ll be average.  Donald and Co. made him look better than he is.  I still have hope for him though.

I have no issue eating crow if I'm wrong. Collins and Nassib have both been extremely disappointing to start the year. 

Littleton has been very poor this year and as you said it probably has a lot to do with playing behind a poor DL vs an elite one. And also making the transition from being a 3-4 ILB to a 4-3 OLB. 

2 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

Just want to say.... this game was bound to go down the way it did.

we always get ourselves hyped up after a big win or 2 and start thinking playoffs and then some.... and then lose a game And “we suck”.  

I'm not too worried about today's game. We came into the game on a short week and had to travel to the east coast for an early game, which we have historically struggled in. Not to mention we were missing our top 2 WR's and 2 elite OL against the most talented secondary in the league. And the score doesn't even really reflect the whole picture, IMO. We were in the game until it got away late and could've easily won with a few better decisions in the red zone.  

• Like 1