Week 4 GDT: Bills (3-0) @ Raiders (2-1)

NYRaider

6 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I'm calm.
But this "not a defensive team" is bs. Brees and the Saints "weren't a defensive team" and missed the playoffs for several years in a row despite an amazing offense. We are ranked average in defensive spending.

Look for yourself: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/positional/defense/

I get that it isn't a top 5 defense, but that's no excuse to be bottom 5. 

You can point to the fumbles but how many takeaways has the defense produced? How often have they given the offense good field position? Substantially less than the league average, that's for sure.

We are 4th worst in points per drive and yards per drive. We are on pace for 8 interceptions this year. We are on pace for 16 sacks this year. That's a joke. Forget not being a "defensive team". The results should be a lot better than this.

Now on to Carr:

How is Carr surrounded by the perfect team right now? Not even close. 2 rookie WR (who I like) but they aren't even healthy. The OL is very banged up and the RB's can't run right now because of it.

I refuse to agree that he's played bad the last 2 weeks. I even combed over the all 22 and was honestly fine with the majority of his decisions, accuracy, etc. He could have been more aggressive. But he also tried to use his legs, extend plays, look downfield, etc. 

The reason we are losing games is the combination of not having a run game (not Jacob's fault either) and lacking the same threat at WR without Ruggs/Edwards/Tyrell. Can Carr play better? Of course. But I wouldn't cite him as the reason we are losing games. Or even top 3 reasons (defense, lack of run game, injuries).

Carr has lost games before. Miami comes to mind 2 years ago. Or the Dallas game 3 years ago. Or several others. But not these last 2.

Great post.  I stopped fighting this fight.  Everyone dug in a long time ago. The guys who wanted Carr gone the last two years are going to do this anytime we lose a game or Carr makes a bad play.  Even to the point of defending a horrendous defense to make their claims.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, doctordeath said:

You're right. I'm over this. As I'm sure the rest of the debaters are. @MrOaktown_56 @NYRaider @bitty @Darbsk @BackinBlack:

Y'all are right. I am right. Onto the Chiefs game.

Aha yup. Crappy loss, we’ve lost 2 in a row and most likely a 3rd coming. 
we’re all Raider fans and just want to see wins! 

let’s get the upset this week! Go raiders 

15 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

he highest paid player is Joyner that should tell you all you need to know about our commitment to the defense.

That number is kinda skewed because it would've been Littleton but he restructured his deal right before the season. 

Since Mayock got here we've spent $139M in free agency to sign Joyner, Littleton, Kwit, Nassib, Collins and Hankins. 

We've also spent 8 draft picks on defensive players (3 1sts, 1 2nd, 1 3rd, and 3 4ths): Ferrell (1st), Arnette (1st), Abram (1st), Mullen (2nd), Muse (3rd), Crosby (4th), Johnson (4th), Robertson (4th). 

38 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

That number is kinda skewed because it would've been Littleton but he restructured his deal right before the season. 

Since Mayock got here we've spent $139M in free agency to sign Joyner, Littleton, Kwit, Nassib, Collins and Hankins. 

We've also spent 8 draft picks on defensive players (3 1sts, 1 2nd, 1 3rd, and 3 4ths): Ferrell (1st), Arnette (1st), Abram (1st), Mullen (2nd), Muse (3rd), Crosby (4th), Johnson (4th), Robertson (4th). 

We have definitely committed to the DBs and we got lucky with Crosby.  With the exception of Crosby, Hurst, and Hankins nobody on the line is worth their contract or draft position.  We have had the opposite approach to building a defense than we did with building the offense.  I really wish we could get a mulligan on the defensive side of the ball.  With the DBs the only problems I have are Joyner and letting Joseph go for other signings.  We need someone on the line that commands attention and frees up the other players.  We are married to Ferrell and Crosby so it will have to be a DT.  Mayock needs to find the next Chris Jones or Kenny Clark.  Beyond that I do not see them committing major assets to the LBs and DBs in the next couple years.  Maybe a new DC can figure out how to put it together but I am not going to hold my breathe if Gruden is picking the DC.  Probably going to be a retread that allows the offense to be the hero.