Perspective

BossierWhoDat

I was having some silent me time and got to thinking about our Saints.

I was thinking about how mentally difficult it must be to have an NFL career. We all have tough lives but the best football players in the world must have a stringent schedule. A few things: Training like you're insane, playbook study, Injuries, family problems, being away from family, charity, sometimes huge political moves. Just to name a few.

So with that said, there are a ton of variables within the lives of all 32 teams. And if you want to have a good team... your management, coaches, and players all have to make sure these responsibilities are taken care of whilst having a spotline shone on their lives.

So what i'm getting to, is it really that terrible that we've had to endure a few bad (terrible) years? The more I look back on the last decade I realize that we are pretty spoiled and 7-9 years are not THAT bad. 0-16 Lions anyone? So anyway, i'm trying to put the football politics to the side and just root for this team. I think they have what it takes to make us proud, lets get it!

Who Dat!

9 hours ago, BossierWhoDat said:

I was thinking about how mentally difficult it must be to have an NFL career. We all have tough lives but the best football players in the world must have a stringent schedule. A few things: Training like you're insane, playbook study, Injuries, family problems, being away from family, charity, sometimes huge political moves. Just to name a few.

So with that said, there are a ton of variables within the lives of all 32 teams. And if you want to have a good team... your management, coaches, and players all have to make sure these responsibilities are taken care of whilst having a spotline shone on their lives.

So what i'm getting to, is it really that terrible that we've had to endure a few bad (terrible) years? The more I look back on the last decade I realize that we are pretty spoiled and 7-9 years are not THAT bad. 0-16 Lions anyone? So anyway, i'm trying to put the football politics to the side and just root for this team. I think they have what it takes to make us proud, lets get it!

Who Dat!

If they don't have it, they're close.

I'm going to remain cautiously optimistic, but I like the sentiment of your post.

We have NO IDEA what it's like for a pro ball player. To be among the best of the best after working your entire life to get there, only to not be as good as the next "best" guy. Or to not have the right fit with the right coach with the right scheme. The stress must be astounding at times. I know how far I want to climb into a bottle of scotch after a bad day at work - am I right, @domepatrol91? - and I rarely have the spotlight on me. 

Being the target of negative fan mail, social media outlets, forums like this (not that the players see it), and the boos and jeers from the crowd on game days. And we wonder why these guys get in trouble sometimes.

Speaking of trouble, with all that's gone on, our Saints generally keep out of the news, so good job there!

Great addition to this discussion @Mid Iowa

25 minutes ago, Mid Iowa said:

I know how far I want to climb into a bottle of scotch after a bad day at work - am I right, @domepatrol91? - and I rarely have the spotlight on me. 

I had a few last night when I created the post so thanks for adding the details that I couldn't quite manage xD

10 hours ago, BossierWhoDat said:

So anyway, i'm trying to put the football politics to the side and just root for this team.

I wanted to add to this a little bit... I guess what I mean here is that while there could be some benefits to us having an ugly season and everything getting blown up, I can't bring myself to want that. This is my team and I want to see them dominate no matter what lol

9 minutes ago, BossierWhoDat said:

Great addition to this discussion @Mid Iowa

I had a few last night when I created the post so thanks for adding the details that I couldn't quite manage xD

I wanted to add to this a little bit... I guess what I mean here is that while there could be some benefits to us having an ugly season and everything getting blown up, I can't bring myself to want that. This is my team and I want to see them dominate no matter what lol

Right on!!

55 minutes ago, Mid Iowa said:

I know how far I want to climb into a bottle of scotch after a bad day at work - am I right, @domepatrol91? - and I rarely have the spotlight on me. 

Pro Tip: Never climb out of the bottle and you don’t have to worry about climbing back in.

28 minutes ago, BossierWhoDat said:

I guess what I mean here is that while there could be some benefits to us having an ugly season and everything getting blown up, I can't bring myself to want that. This is my team and I want to see them dominate no matter what lol

If we’re bad I want us to be really bad, not just bad enough to miss the playoffs in Week 15 or 16. And if we’re good I want us to be really good, not just missed the playoffs by one game good.

Im tired of mediocrity, I’d rather be bad than mediocre at this point. Obviously I’d prefer we’re better, but if I can’t have better I’ll take worse without complaint.

10 hours ago, BossierWhoDat said:

Who Dat!

I agree that many NFL players have a lot to juggle but on the flip side they are paid handsomely to do so.

As far as that goes in building a football team, thats why Loomis and Payton are paid millions to figure out. This is why you have a scouting dept in the first place. Its not just always about athleticism, power and speed. This is where character, values, attitude and love of football come into the equation. 

Actually yes! It is that bad that we have had 3 straight 7-9 seasons and 4 losing seasons in the last 5. 7-9 is NFL purgatory and is worse than going 0-16. You reference the 0-16 Lions but while that was a terrible season those fans at least had hope that they would be in position to draft a franchise cornerstone and that season delivered them Matt Stafford, a franchise QB who is now the NFL's highest paid player and the reason they are in the position they are in now.

7-9 leaves a team out of thr playoffs just like all the other teams picking ahead of them but unlike those teams, a 7-9 team has to sit back and watch all the elite talent come off the board before they pick or are forced to trade away valuabe draft picks in order to get up there and take a shot on a prospect. Also it isn't just getting one of the elite prospects in the draft... A top pick also positions you in a great position in each and every round to land a potential impact player to help restock your roster. 

At 7-9 (basically for 5 years running) the Saints have been in a stagnet operating position and when you add that fact to this front offices ineptitude over the last 5 years you begin to see why we fell as hard as we have. This is why this front office felt the need to risk on big money FA time and time again because they werent getting any impacf players from the draft.

Have this team turned things around? Maybe, maybe not. Time will tell but to answer your question...

No I dont think were spoiled in expecting competence from this front office which is what all this boils down to. Trust me, I remember the days before Mora. Start going down that road where fans dont demand a compentant winning football team and fall back into blind loyalty then you will be rewarded with incompetence at all levels of this orginazation when they are aware that there is zero accountability to the fan base.

4 hours ago, whodatworm23 said:

I agree that many NFL players have a lot to juggle but on the flip side they are paid handsomely to do so.

As far as that goes in building a football team, thats why Loomis and Payton are paid millions to figure out.

Most of them are definitely paid very well, but I'm mostly referring to the fact that it is difficult no matter how they are paid. To get all of these humans together and on the same page has got to be really really hard. That makes me respect the Bilichicks of the world even more.

Actually yes! It is that bad that we have had 3 straight 7-9 seasons and 4 losing seasons in the last 5. 7-9 is NFL purgatory and is worse than going 0-16. You reference the 0-16 Lions but while that was a terrible season those fans at least had hope that they would be in position to draft a franchise cornerstone and that season delivered them Matt Stafford, a franchise QB who is now the NFL's highest paid player and the reason they are in the position they are in now.

I get where you are coming from here, and although we put ourselves in purgatory by being so consistently mediocre, at least we were competitive in many of our games. It was extremely aggravating to be so up and down, but it was also very exciting to see our team play at the top of their game. In comparison, there are many teams that have been at the bottom with no hope year in and year out.

Start going down that road where fans dont demand a compentant winning football team and fall back into blind loyalty then you will be rewarded with incompetence at all levels of this orginazation when they are aware that there is zero accountability to the fan base.

This is where I completely agree! And I hope they are feeling the pressure from the fan base. As you said, we will see very soon

Archived