Falcons Post Game Thread

dll2000

Thoughts and Observations Offense

-It looked like old Mitch. Unable to throw deep, not processing, bad in the redzone. Whatever glimpses of structured progress we had seen disappeared and we were left uncompetitive at QB. The miss to Miller at the end of the half was brutal, even more so because he routinely misses that throw. The interception was rookie level garbage. It is telling how bad the Falcons defense is when Foles comes off the bench cold and throws 5 TDs [3 that counted] in a half. The Trubisky era should be over. They tried, he doesn't have it, they had to work hard and scheme to just get him to competent and that was not sustainable when a team decided to take away the run. Feel however you want to about it. I feel relief that we have a clear answer about Mitch and Ryan Pace. We move on with Foles and we look to the future again, hopefully a future with a new GM picking a new QB.

-Foles was good. He had one really bad decision that he got lucky on to Graham, but other than that he was aggressive, generated big plays, and hit WRs in stride. He had 4 of the Bears 9 big pass plays this season and the WRs gain more in terms of YAC yards than anytime during Mitch's tenure. I know he is not going to always look like he did on Sunday, but he will look like a professional QB who can make checks, reads, and throws down field. Cheers to the start of the Foles era.

-David Montgomery is good at football. His ability to break tackles is pretty special. The Falcons sold out to stop him in the 1st half and they did, but in the 2nd half when they had to defend the pass he got going again. His pass protection has been very solid.

-Losing Cohen sucks because I think Foles would have been able to use him better and get him in spots where he can use his skill set. Good for him getting his money.

-The Bears need to add a veteran RB with some speed, if there is one available.

-Jimmy Graham does something well and that something is valuable so I am going to forgive the things that he does not do well for now.

-Nice to see Demetrius Harris catch a pass. He has earned some targets in the pass game with his exceptional blocking in the run and pass game. If he can add a little in the pass game teams are going to struggle to get a read off his personnel use.

-I know Robinson had a big game and I expect he will continue to have big games moving forward, but come on man with another interception being pulled out of his hands. I know it was a terrible over turn, but it should not have been ruled a TD to start. It did feel amazing to see him generate some YAC for the first time in forever.

-Miller is in the same boat for me. I know he made the big game winning catch and wow was it a route, but the drop in the endzone on a 4th and 17 dime ball, come on man. We need to see some consistency from Miller at some point. I know he will be better with Foles, no one was missed more than Miller by 10, but he needs to take a step.

-Mooney came back to earth a little and the ball getting punched out of the goal line was a nice read and throw by the QB. I am hopeful we now have a QB who will take the shots that Mooney's 4.3 speed should open up. We finally have speed and we do not target it on bomb plays.

-Ted Ginn's 29 yard catch was the play of the game.

-Cole Kmet had a very strong day blocking, but Harris being so good I think has cut into what would have been his targets.

-Leno was about what he always is... replaceable. His inability to make the backside cut off consistently on zone runs is becoming an issue.

-James Daniels is playing dominant football. The physicality, the hustle, the run blocking are all impressive. On the Graham fumble, Miller pick it up and fumble, who is down field 20 yards rooting around like a truffle pig in the pile? James Daniels.

-Not Cody Whitehair's best game. Missed a bunch of blocks.

-Ifedi continues to impress. His physicality is night and day compared to the RG clown show last season.

-I worry about Massie holding up with more shotgun and less help now that the Mitch offense is going to reduce.
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

He's been let go by 2 other teams in 2 years. I would have been just as concerned if JJ had lost out to Artie Burns in camp.

Demetrius Harris is playing at a super high level right now. I could care less if he wasn't good with the Browns. He is a dominant blocker for us.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

He's blocking better than Leno.  Play him at LT.

Barely kidding.

He's been a pleasant surprise, and I totally agree that him getting some catching reps will make it harder to figure out our playcall by personnel.  If Graham continues to be a solid possession red zone target, and Harris can keep to OL clean, I am totally fine with anything extra we get from Kmet-especially early in the season-being bonus cookies

I have been really high on Miller and disappointed a lot, but I feel like the Foles change could be good for him.  Much has been made of Miller's lack of prep and maturity, but it also seems like he and Mitch were just tragically out of sync.  Millers got skill and I feel like this change will show it.  

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

-It looked like old Mitch. Unable to throw deep, not processing, bad in the redzone. Whatever glimpses of structured progress we had seen disappeared and we were left uncompetitive at QB. The miss to Miller at the end of the half was brutal, even more so because he routinely misses that throw. The interception was rookie level garbage. It is telling how bad the Falcons defense is when Foles comes off the bench cold and throws 5 TDs [3 that counted] in a half. The Trubisky era should be over. They tried, he doesn't have it, they had to work hard and scheme to just get him to competent and that was not sustainable when a team decided to take away the run. Feel however you want to about it. I feel relief that we have a clear answer about Mitch and Ryan Pace. We move on with Foles and we look to the future again, hopefully a future with a new GM picking a new QB.

-Foles was good. He had one really bad decision that he got lucky on to Graham, but other than that he was aggressive, generated big plays, and hit WRs in stride. He had 4 of the Bears 9 big pass plays this season and the WRs gain more in terms of YAC yards than anytime during Mitch's tenure. I know he is not going to always look like he did on Sunday, but he will look like a professional QB who can make checks, reads, and throws down field. Cheers to the start of the Foles era.

This is why I was so angry during in game thread.  Mediocre QB play from start puts 50+ on that depleted team.  Fact that we were getting killed was insane.  

-David Montgomery is good at football. His ability to break tackles is pretty special. The Falcons sold out to stop him in the 1st half and they did, but in the 2nd half when they had to defend the pass he got going again. His pass protection has been very solid.

Agreed.  

-Losing Cohen sucks because I think Foles would have been able to use him better and get him in spots where he can use his skill set. Good for him getting his money.

Agreed.  Some people are saying its a good thing because now we see more Monty.  But I think under Foles this is a bad thing.  

I think that needs to be Patterson.   He needs to get better fast.  

-Jimmy Graham does something well and that something is valuable so I am going to forgive the things that he does not do well for now.

Graham makes you respect the position at all times.  You cannot ignore him.  We haven't had that in 4 years except briefly with Burton and not to same extent.  

-Nice to see Demetrius Harris catch a pass. He has earned some targets in the pass game with his exceptional blocking in the run and pass game. If he can add a little in the pass game teams are going to struggle to get a read off his personnel use.

Play Harris at LT.   Only half kidding.   Bears running game is improved in no small part because TEs aren't constantly whiffing on their blocks.  They don't make every block, but we nearly used to miss every one.  

-I know Robinson had a big game and I expect he will continue to have big games moving forward, but come on man with another interception being pulled out of his hands. I know it was a terrible over turn, but it should not have been ruled a TD to start. It did feel amazing to see him generate some YAC for the first time in forever.

Robinson came back and had a heck of a game.  You have to give him that.  

-Miller is in the same boat for me. I know he made the big game winning catch and wow was it a route, but the drop in the endzone on a 4th and 17 dime ball, come on man. We need to see some consistency from Miller at some point. I know he will be better with Foles, no one was missed more than Miller by 10, but he needs to take a step.

Also kudos to Miller to coming back from a bad play(s).

-Mooney came back to earth a little and the ball getting punched out of the goal line was a nice read and throw by the QB. I am hopeful we now have a QB who will take the shots that Mooney's 4.3 speed should open up. We finally have speed and we do not target it on bomb plays.

You have to love what you are getting from Mooney to date.  

-Cole Kmet had a very strong day blocking, but Harris being so good I think has cut into what would have been his targets.

-Leno was about what he always is... replaceable. His inability to make the backside cut off consistently on zone runs is becoming an issue.

-James Daniels is playing dominant football. The physicality, the hustle, the run blocking are all impressive. On the Graham fumble, Miller pick it up and fumble, who is down field 20 yards rooting around like a truffle pig in the pile? James Daniels.

I will have to watch Kmet and Daniels.  I have always said Daniels is an uber talent that was under performing last year.  

Hmm, have to take a look at Whitehair too.  He didn't play great last week either.  

-Ifedi continues to impress. His physicality is night and day compared to the RG clown show last season.

To me he should have been a priority resigning in camp.  Now he will cost and you will likely lose him.  

-I worry about Massie holding up with more shotgun and less help now that the Mitch offense is going to reduce.

That is a concern, but Massie has been playing his best football in years.  He just isn't very talented.  Kudos to his effort this season.   

32 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

He has consistently been playing poorly all year. We focus on this three TD quarter this year but outside of that brief burst he's been horrible. Foles should have started the whole time, which makes me wonder why Nagy named Mitch the starter. 

Foles had a strong game, and you can tell he is able to throw it deep and give WRs a chance. I expect our passing game to improve to at least average. 

Monty was not great last year, but this year he looks really good, exactly the player I expected from ISU. 

Miller is uber talented but so inconsistent. I do expect his numbers to improve quite a bit with Foles deep ball. 

12 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

You were not making that point. Stop it. You were claiming that drafting Kmet was terrible decision. 

https://forums.footballsfuture.com/topic/30192-bears-at-falcons-1200-fox/?do=findComment&comment=3103827

Yes, I was making that point. Stop trying to act like forum psychiatrist. I was quite literally pissed that they can't get a top 50 pick involved in the passing game, so whether that's Kmet not showing enough in practice or Nagy refusing to do so, I'd like to see it

On 9/28/2020 at 9:14 AM, dll2000 said:

Look - playing QB has a lot of variables to it.  You need everyone else to play well too and every QB misses throws.  Matt Ryan missed open throws in that game.   Aaron Rodgers missed open throws in his game.    But they make big throws too.  They make enough to make up for the misses.  MT doesn't make enough plays to make up for his misses.

You need time to develop in this league and QBs almost never get that time in Chicago which is a large reason we never have a good QB.  MT had that time.  It was fair.  He didn't do it. 

Go Foles.  

... here is thing too.  Foles isn't likely to survive the season.  He stands tall in pocket and takes big shots.  That is an injury waiting to happen.  MT will likely get another shot to demonstrate he deserves a career in this league.   I think he is done with the Bears though after this year unless he is willing to come in as a back up to Foles or a young player.

Want to comment on this.

1) Spot on IMHO.  Mitch had a shot at connecting on a badly needed TD before half time.  Once again......he misfired and over threw an open man.  That and the pick he threw solely because he failed to correctly read the defense again pre-snap was his death sentence.  Nagy and his guys had had enough of Mitch's mistakes.

2) A year of regression followed by a camp where he could not clearly outplay Foles and the same old inconsistencies and misfires with only modest signs of improvement despite what had to have been maximum offseason effort is what's gonna be written in his book.  Too little, too late.

3) I do as well.  He's simply not the right QB for Matt Nagy's offense. I thought that even if Foles got the nod initially as long as Mitch could show the mental progress needed and start hitting more of his deep throws he'd be worth re-signing as a #2 with upside but I don't see that any longer.  He's not a fit here.

Edited by soulman

2 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Kerrith Whyte is on the Lions PS.

6 hours ago, dll2000 said:
To me he should have been a priority resigning in camp.  Now he will cost and you will likely lose him.  

They can cut Leno or Massie, or both, after this season with little cap penalty, if I'm remembering things right. Get a young guy to replace one of the tackles, boom, you can re-sign Ifedi.

Don't forget they also won't be paying Mitch anymore.

4 hours ago, soulman said:

Kerrith Whyte is on the Lions PS.

Good option. They HAVE to do SOMETHING, for sure. Counting on Patterson to suddenly become a running back, after that experiment has already clearly failed, would be horrific. 

• Like 1

Video Demonstrates we have a massive problem on interior of DL and therefore our smallish ILBs.  Nichols and RRH and company get pushed back on double teams easily and do not take up two blockers allowing guards to easily get onto our ILBS which is not what they are designed for.   They are WLBs.  

Goldman opt out looms large for this team. 

5 hours ago, RunningVaccs said:

Brett Kollman did a great film session on Roquan Smith before the draft, essentially said he would excel so long as he had someone ahead of him to eat blocks, but would struggle if people got hands on him.    I think we're seeing that every week now. 

Its no mystery or secret that Roquan and DT are not equipped to take on O linemen.

They are supposed to be protected.   Design break down when you have 1 gapping DL.