What Happened to Carson Wentz!?

RandyMossIsBoss

We all know about the magical 2017, the ensuing major knee injury, and how that could have altered his career trajectory, but let's look past that here. I'm not asking "What happened to Wentz" in regards to him not looking like the MVP candidate he was in 2017, I think the major knee injury early in career is an easy enough explanation for that. I'm asking now in regards to why he is looking like a backup QB. Here is what has unfolded since 2018.

2018- 102.2 passer rating, 62.6 QBR, 79.4 PFF grade, 279 YPG, 70% completions, 21 TDs to 7 INTs, 8.4 Rush YPG, 2.7 Y/C, 0 TDs, 9 fumbles in 11 games

• Missed offseason and beginning of season due to 2017 injury. Looked sloppy early and towards the end but had strong midseason before season ended due to back injury. Didn't look as dynamic, clearly not confident in leg.

2019- 93.1 passer rating, 64.8 QBR, 76.5 PFF grade, 252 YPG, 64% completions, 27 TDs to 7 INTs, 15.2 Rush YPG, 3.9 Y/C, TD, 16 fumbles in 16 games

• Back injury kept him sidelined until regular season. 
  • Efficiency dipped from 2018, but skill players were plagued by injuries. 
  • Ended year winning 4 straight, playing good football w/ group of practice squad WRs, albeit against worst teams in league outside of Dallas.
  • Still didn't look quite as dynamic as he did in 2017, at this point maybe that is never coming back, but seemed to be maturing a bit as passer. Despite worse efficiency, I think most would say he looked better in 2019 than 2018. Fumbling a concern.

2020-  63.9 passer rating, 23.2 QBR*, 44.0 PFF grade*, 243 YPG, 60% completions, 3 TDs to 6 INTs, 23.3 Rush YPG, 7.0 Y/C, 2 TDs, 3 fumbles in 3 games

• First fully healthy offseason in 3 years.
  • Weird offseason due to Covid, but every QB found themselves in same situation, and not 1 has looked as bad as Carson. 
  • Injuries to skill players again hit, but no worse than they were in 2019.
  • OL not as good as 2019 but still probably average unit.
  • Accuracy uncharacteristically off.
  • Making awful decisions we just didn't see him make since rookie year.
  • All 6 INTs completely earned (not batted balls or flukey bounces), as well as a handful of dropped INTs.

*through 2 games

What would be your best guess as to what has happened to Carson between the end of 2019, where the consensus among fans and experts was that of a top 10 QB, and now? How long would you let this level of play continue before you'd consider benching him (a move that would likely mark the end of his Eagles career)? He's 27 years old, theoretically in his prime. No major injury in 2 years. What is going on? Is there any precedence for this at the QB position, a mental breakdown of sorts?

Now, if you were never high on Wentz, certainly you at least considered him an average starter in this league? So this should still come as a bizarre situation. 1 awful game? Even elite QBs are liable. 2? Won't see it from the greats, but can happen to any QBs in the middle tiers, but 3? To start the year (against unimpressive competition, mind you)? I can't recall a QB who had solidly earned himself the "franchise QB" label have a stretch of play this poor and unexplained. 

He’s hot trash. Let’s keep it one hundrid. 

He’s going the Sam Bradford route. He’ll mesmerize you with good plays! And he’ll have you saying man only if he wasn’t injured. The sky’s the limit. But deep down you know he sucks, but he’s your QB and ILL RIDE WITH MY QB AND ILL DIE WITH MY QB.

Just imagine if they don’t call that taunting penalty on Tru (eagles punt) he never tears his ACL. 

• Like 1

He had a great line, top ten running game, elite tight end, good receiving back, significant receiver depth, several notable head coaches on his offensive staff, and was healthy until the injury.

Now he doesn’t have the supporting cast and the coaching he previously did, and he has dealt with quite a few injuries.

He's just not what he was hyped up to be. 

He had a hot hand for a minute, but that happens to plenty of guys. 

I think the Eagles O was really anchored by Frank Reich. The guy brought Andrew Luck's best out and even pulled more out of Jacoby Brissett than he should have been able to.

The Eagles O often functioned more smoothly with Foles too. 

Wentz is probably a short term starter, longtime backup caliber QB, but he's not a franchise guy. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ronjon1990 said:

He's just not what he was hyped up to be. 

He had a hot hand for a minute, but that happens to plenty of guys. 

I think the Eagles O was really anchored by Frank Reich. The guy brought Andrew Luck's best out and even pulled more out of Jacoby Brissett than he should have been able to.

The Eagles O often functioned more smoothly with Foles too. 

Wentz is probably a short term starter, longtime backup caliber QB, but he's not a franchise guy. 

2 minutes ago, patriotsheatyan said:

He had a great line, top ten running game, elite tight end, good receiving back, significant receiver depth, several notable head coaches on his offensive staff, and was healthy until the injury.

Now he doesn’t have the supporting cast and the coaching he previously did, and he has dealt with quite a few injuries.

These replies are not addressing the 2019 to 2020 change though, which I made clear is the question being asked. Not what has changed since 2017. We know why he doesn't look like 2017 self. Look at his play in 2019, who he played with, what injuries he had overcome, and then answer what changed between then and now? That's what I'm asking about. His cast has not gotten worse, his health has not gotten worse.

"He was trash all along," well ok, even if that is your take, then why did he not look like trash in 2019 when he was playing with practice squad WRs? He still managed a top 10 QBR last year and came away being considered top 10 by analysts and fans (just look up top 10 lists if you don't believe me), which would be quite a feat for a QB who was never good, and raise perhaps an even bigger mystery (why did he play so well in 2019?).

• Like 1

I’ve followed Wentz closely since he came to the league.

Wentz was a very good QB. He is one of the most talented QBs in the game. His problems are all mental. 

He does have plenty of red flags as a starting QB. All of which start from ego.  He has an Aaron Rodgers esque attitude about him without Aaron Rodgers talent. 

He really didn’t go through much adversity other than his injuries. 

His major problems is not taking in the coaching and thinking he’s better than he is. Nick Foles success destroyed him so he began to force things to get back to his 2017 self. But in 2017 he had a no nonsense approach by DeFillipo as his QB coach and Frank Reich. Especially DeFilipo, he would tell Wentz how it is 

now with Frank Reich and DeFillipo gone, he has Press Taylor, Bengals coach Zacs brother as his QB coach. They are more like friends than coach/player. He’s not being properly held accountable. 

It seems like Wentz doesn’t respect his coaching staff and that’s a recipe for disaster. He’s not coachable and he doesn’t have all world talent to overcome it. Simple as that 

Edited by rocky_rams
  • Like 5

8 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

These replies are not addressing the 2019 to 2020 change though, which I made clear is the question being asked. Not what has changed since 2017. We know why he doesn't look like 2017 self. Look at his play in 2019, who he played with, what injuries he had overcome, and then answer what changed between then and now? That's what I'm asking about. His cast has not gotten worse, his health has not gotten worse.

"He was trash all along," well ok, even if that is your take, then why did he not look like trash in 2019 when he was playing with practice squad WRs? He still managed a top 10 QBR last year and came away being considered top 10 by analysts and fans (just look up top 10 lists if you don't believe me), which would be quite a feat for a QB who was never good, and raise perhaps an even bigger mystery (why did he play so well in 2019?).

Brother. Who were your last 4 games against? Only reason why y’all got in. 

Maybe he isn't studying tape enough with the baby he has now? Maybe he's constantly really tired and can't concentrate. Honestly it's on him and if he has a problem with the coaching he needs to come out and say it. If he keeps silence it's 100% on him and he needs to be traded (if possible if not bench him and see what Hurts can do)

1 minute ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Before the last 4 games, he’s still playing nowhere close to this. Or go to 2018.

Last 4 games had to do with that though..

2 Tds against the Gmen 0 picks 

3 TDS vs the Washington football team 0 picks 

1 TD vs the Cowboys no Ints. 

1 TD in a blowout win vs the Gmen no INT. 

heck even if you go back 5 games in which they lost to the dolphins wtf right. 

He has 3 TDS and one int. 

So in 5 games vs some aweful competition he had. 

10 TDS.. Had 17 prior. Dude feasted on hot garbage. Say what you want mang. NO WRs sure but he also had some sorry teams to go against. 17 TDS in 11 games is Bad bad.