What Happened to Carson Wentz!?

RandyMossIsBoss

3 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

I cant even. We are crazy soft. We have like 5 dogs on our team and some of them are injured.

We might limp to a division win, but bragging would be stupid.

I'm more talking about the never ending debates between you and Eagles fans that Dak > Wentz.

You'll feel better next week when Dak and the boys hang 40+ on us.

15 minutes ago, pacman5252 said:

He’s always played a little Yolo ball. Now he doesn’t have an elite ol

I just don't agree with the idea that he had elite pass protection in 2019, and I don't think any fan who watched each game would agree with that idea. No OL is fundamentally hard to judge since to even use terms like "bad" or "great" you need reference, and most fans are only watching every game of 1, maybe 2, teams. I see PFF graded them as #1, but that includes the run game, not to mention I believe that #1 rank was just taking the average of the individual players? OL needs to be judged as a whole, because you could have 4 99.9 graded players on your line, but 1 25 and you likely have one of the worst pass pro units, know what I mean?

In 2019 ESPN had them 19th in pass block win rate. According to PFF, the OL was not even top 10 in protecting on long developing plays (which is what I think people most often think anyway when it comes to judging pass protection. The pass rush can only get to you so fast). I definitely would not say the OL was a problem last year, but I think people are taking it a bit too far when they call it elite just based off the PFF #1 ranking and act like Wentz routinely had all day to throw. 

The pass protection in 2020 has really not been that much worse than it was in 2019, if we assume week 1 was an anomaly (which I think it was, missing Lane, and first action for another starter). Nothing Carson hasn't seen before, unless he was long term rattled from the 8 sack game.

2 minutes ago, rocky_rams said:

Honestly, Dak isn’t much better. Especially considering the weapons he has around him. 

He couldn’t beat a Seahawks team who doesn’t have a strong defense and didn’t have Jamal Adams on D 

expecting your QB to go 40 burger plus in multiple games is so stupid. 

You did see how crap our d, OL, Zeke, Cooper all played............ Right?

Just now, Matts4313 said:

expecting your QB to go 40 burger plus in multiple games is so stupid. 

You did see how crap our d, OL, Zeke, Cooper all played............ Right?

Well he’s expecting 40 burger money so he should put his money where his mouth is and carry the team to match the 40 million he wants to get paid. 

And he’s the one throwing interceptions which lead to points and to close out the game. He’s wildly inconsistent in his accuracy. How does that fall on Zeke, OL, and Cooper?

• Like 1

His mechanics look terrible, jumpy in the pocket and throwing off his back foot constantly.

The dude stinks right now but feels like Doug Pedersen and Howie Roseman need to be taking more heat too. Everyone in the world knew they needed to upgrade at WR and all they did was bank on an ancient DeSean Jackson being the key and then took Reagor over Jefferson which looked dumb at the time and looks worse now, even if that's not fully Reagor's fault. Not to mention, with how mentally shot Wentz looks you got to wonder what good the Hurts pick did for them. Meanwhile the entire team and system looks busted and Wentz's bad habits are also clearly attributable to bad coaching. You just have to wonder what exactly is going on there at the moment. They don't even have a real OC FFS - don't model yourself after San Fran if you can't lean on your HC to carry the offense. They never replaced Reich and it shows. 

Whole organization seems like a mess right now tbh.

• Like 1

You need to remember that the sum total of Wentz's performance in both 2017 and 2019 were outstanding.

In 2017 he was the MVP favorite until the injury. He was a huge part of the homefield that was so important.

In 2019 he did a great job with a team full of backups and practice squad guys.

• This includes 2 or 3 perfect TD passes that were horrible drops last year.
  • Guys like Wentz 2019 are not MVP candidates but their performance should be recognized

He was good stats bad QB in 2018. He missed seeing some wide open guys leading to a couple losses and a 5-6 record (Foles went 4-1)

He's dealing with lots of injuries this year but his bad play is why they are 0-2-1 instead of 2-1.

The Eagles are -7 in turnovers. Stop giving the other team the football!

Just punting all day up 17-0 probably beats The DC Football Corporation Incorporated

They could easily win this division at 8-7-1 or even 7-8-1 if they sweep Dallas.

I'm not expecting this but this division is awful.

There have been similar breakdowns. Mark Bulger, Matt Schaub, Jake Delhomme, Daunte Culpepper. Most of those guys weren't playing at Carson's peak, but they were fringe Pro Bowl starters that suddenly just hit a wall. Probably just a combination of injuries, low confidence, and the team not being super talented. Carson is younger though, so that's the enigma. He can crawl out maybe. I think Doug sticks with him a while longer. 

6 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

I just don't agree with the idea that he had elite pass protection in 2019, and I don't think any fan who watched each game would agree with that idea. No OL is fundamentally hard to judge since to even use terms like "bad" or "great" you need reference, and most fans are only watching every game of 1, maybe 2, teams. I see PFF graded them as #1, but that includes the run game, not to mention I believe that #1 rank was just taking the average of the individual players? OL needs to be judged as a whole, because you could have 4 99.9 graded players on your line, but 1 25 and you likely have one of the worst pass pro units, know what I mean?

In 2019 ESPN had them 19th in pass block win rate. According to PFF, the OL was not even top 10 in protecting on long developing plays (which is what I think people most often think anyway when it comes to judging pass protection. The pass rush can only get to you so fast). I definitely would not say the OL was a problem last year, but I think people are taking it a bit too far when they call it elite just based off the PFF #1 ranking and act like Wentz routinely had all day to throw. 

The pass protection in 2020 has really not been that much worse than it was in 2019, if we assume week 1 was an anomaly (which I think it was, missing Lane, and first action for another starter). Nothing Carson hasn't seen before, unless he was long term rattled from the 8 sack game.

2018 the line was legit

I'll be the first to admit I'm also perplexed.

When he first came into the league, I didn't know much about him, as I had sort of fallen out of following every last move every team made like I did in college. So I didn't even see Wentz play until halfway through that season he was on his way to the MVP before being injured.

I don't even remember what game it was, but the first pass I saw him throw I remember distinctly thinking, "Oh wow, this kid's got something." It was a perfect looking pass. His footwork, release, velocity, arc, distance, everything. I watched the rest of that game and remember thinking the Eagles had themselves a real QB, and that he'd be the next star. Then he got hurt.