Week 3; football team addition, 5 up and 5 down

Kiwibrown

Just now, NateDawg said:

Nick Chubb needs to be talked about more on a national level. I don’t see a better back in the league than him. Sure, Alvin Kamara, McCaffrey, and a couple other guys as all purpose backs, but when it comes to being the total package runner, I put him right there with guys like Zeke Elliott. He’s an obvious up. 

Stefanski obviously with a good game plan. I still think the defense sucks and will get exploited it going forward but give them credit for making some place today and getting the most out of the talent that was out on the field.

Mayfield is playing well enough to win and isn’t forcing a bunch of dumb passes. That is what we need out of him.

OL doing what they need to do. 

I really feel like we have gotten the most out of the tower out there the past two weeks. It’s hard to forget week 1 so I am eager to see how we look next week on the road against Dallas.

It's criminal how little respect Chubb gets nationally. He's the best pure running RB in the league, and he's no slouch in the passing game either.

I can understand why people would take CMC over Chubb, but Barkley? Dude is still living off of college hype, although he certainly has the raw talent to be great.

22 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

Mayfield is playing well enough to win and isn’t forcing a bunch of dumb passes. That is what we need out of him.

"Mayfield didn’t throw an interception for the first time in nine games, dating back to last season. He played mostly under control, the kind of game that fits the Stefanski offense."

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2020/09/theres-chubb-theres-hunt-theresget-thissome-defense-browns-win-terry-pluto.html

Just now, bruceb said:

"Mayfield didn’t throw an interception for the first time in nine games, dating back to last season. He played mostly under control, the kind of game that fits the Stefanski offense."

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2020/09/theres-chubb-theres-hunt-theresget-thissome-defense-browns-win-terry-pluto.html

Yeah, I am certainly far from crowning him but if we can somehow manage average play on defense this season (unrealistic) and relatively turnover free football by Baker I think we can be competitive. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

Yeah, I am certainly far from crowning him but if we can somehow manage average play on defense this season (unrealistic) and relatively turnover free football by Baker I think we can be competitive. 

The defense can be ok. 

We have two studs.

Myles and ward. We have two solid dts, if our other ends play they are average. 

If our defensive backs make it back to the field and Mack as well we will be good in coverage. If we are good in coverage it will help our best player.

A back 7 of mack, smith, ward, greedy, johnson, Joseph, and sendejo can cover a little.

Edited by Kiwibrown

2 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

The defense can be ok. 

We have two studs.

Myles and ward. We have two solid dts, if our other ends play they are average. 

If our defensive backs make it back to the field and Mack as well we will be good in coverage. If we are good in coverage it will help our best player.

A back 7 of mack, smith, ward, greedy, johnson, Joseph, and sendejo can cover a little.

I think they can cover a little possibly but I also don’t like the middle of our defense and still think we will get bulldozed a lot against physical teams. Larry Ogunjobi is definitely bringing it this season. I think the linebacker position will prove to be a detriment as the season goes though. We just need to stay healthy on defense because we don’t have room to lose a couple of our better players on that side.

8 hours ago, NateDawg said:

Agreed.

I’d really like to see him continue to develop and allow us to pick up the 5th year and hopefully be set there for the next decade + and to start focusing some draft picks on the defense.

9 hours ago, NateDawg said:

I think 2020 is a year he needs to get into the flow of the offensive system, we as a team need to beat the teams we should (Washington, Cincinnati), get to about 9-7, and then revamp the defense next year and hope that Baker takes the step from "solid game manager" to "good young QB with a breakout year".

I love the formula of Stefanski's offense. Run the ball, grind it out in the 2nd half, and have a lot of checkdown options for Baker, while getting him moving on rollouts.

5 up:

1. OL - Our OL needs top 5 consideration, the reason I say top 5 is that we were the only team that fought back and exerted our will against their fantastic front line, ill even go out on a limb and say, our OL has been the MVP of the first 3 games. Teller is playing like a complete monster in the run game, Conklin had Chase Young on lock, Tretter has been steady every since he got here, Bitonio had his hands full with Daron Payne (who I love) but ended up on the right side of things, Jed Wills had dome jitters going against a lot of his former mates but still faired well in the game as a whole, he got beat a couple of times by Sweat but all in all from a guy who wanted Trent Williams, he has my approval because he is going to be a stud. That whole battle inside was so fun to watch

2. RBs - I just enjoy seeing both guys feeding off of each other, please enjoy this while it lasts 

3. LBs - I thought our LBs covered their ***** off, aside from Taki, they played really well yesterday and deserve some credit.

4. Myles Garrett - Made the game changing play we all needed to see given his talent level

5. Stefanski - We fought through adversity, we didn't abandon the gameplan, we made adjustments, we looked comfortable throughout the whole situation. We were disciplined, made smart plays and exerted our will against Washington. He had control of the whole game (and for those overly concerned with who calls the plays how does he look?)

HM: Karl Joseph - Was a total enforcer in the back end, made bone crushing hits and big ints 

HM: Money Mitchell - wasn't as high as others were the first 2 games but really won me over after this game, dude is really balling 

5 down:

1. Taki Taki - doesn't look comfortable in space, or in coverage

2. Joe Woods - Trying to be too cute trying to bait QBs into throws and we are getting picked apart doing so, opposing OC's are just laughing at his coverages

3. DL - Given all of the injuries they had on their OL, I was expecting more impact from them

4. SS - Our Strong Safety position is a clear liability and this should be the last game we come out like this, this situation needs to be addressed going into Dallas

5. Tavier Thomas - God bless the little guy, he did well but he is a 5th DB at best, we need to upgrade ASAP

Overall, if we continue to progress like we are, this looks like it could be a playoff team. As far as Baker, he played pretty well and played within himself, he played under control made good throws and clutch throws that kept drives moving. Solid B game from him

Also throughout all of the whining and complaining from us about the offense, we scored 30+ consecutively without Baker being lights out, the fact that he still has room to improve and we are doing this regardless of the opponent is a win

Edited by MSURacerDT55
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, MWil23 said:

I love the formula of Stefanski's offense. Run the ball, grind it out in the 2nd half, and have a lot of checkdown options for Baker, while getting him moving on rollouts.

I would add to this less trying to make Mayfield a pocket passer and more quick-hitting passes.

We need him to get the ball out more quickly, just like everyone seems to do against us.

1 hour ago, bruceb said:

I would add to this less trying to make Mayfield a pocket passer and more quick-hitting passes.

We need him to get the ball out more quickly, just like everyone seems to do against us.

I'm sure baker prefers it over the 7 step drops without effective offensive tackles