So 49ers what will asking price on Mullens be?

Vladimir L

He’s going to have some NICE numbers since 49ers might play it safe and let Jimmy G sit vs Eagles and Dolphins, 2 lackluster Ds. 

His contract is up after the year so I don’t think a trade happens but he’s an RFA and you could probably slap a 2nd round tender on him. Would be a good return. Only 25/26? 3-4 games of good production would get him a chance starting I think.

Moving on from Jimmy wouldn’t make sense in this scenario, because only a team willing to pay him decent contract would give up a pick for him, and if 49ers end up paying him it defeats purpose of dropping Jimmy. Plus I don’t think he’s done anything to suggest he’s as good as Jimmy.

59 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

He’s going to have some NICE numbers since 49ers might play it safe and let Jimmy G sit vs Eagles and Dolphins, 2 lackluster Ds. 

His contract is up after the year so I don’t think a trade happens but he’s an RFA and you could probably slap a 2nd round tender on him. Would be a good return. Only 25/26? 3-4 games of good production would get him a chance starting I think.

Moving on from Jimmy wouldn’t make sense in this scenario, because only a team willing to pay him decent contract would give up a pick for him, and if 49ers end up paying him it defeats purpose of dropping Jimmy. Plus I don’t think he’s done anything to suggest he’s as good as Jimmy.

Jimmy G is cheap by today qb standard but it seems like 49ers fan hate him

Just now, Vladimir L said:

Jimmy G is cheap by today qb standard but it seems like 49ers fan hate him

some do, yes. Hes been inconsistent and everyone blames him for the superbowl loss even though chris jones is really the one they should blame

More than that though, it doesnt seem the front office/coaching staff trusts him long term at this point. We have for some reason refused to restructure him despite needing cap space. Right now the way it stands, we can cut him this offseason and pay him nothing (essentially).

I love mullens. Hes very consistent and he seems like he has great field awareness. He is a very good point guard/distributor. Hes not going to make a ton of off script, elite qb type plays, but hes going to operate the offense and get the ball in the hands of the playmakers ontime and accurately. He shows up every week and grinds like you want your QB to gind. When you have an elite coach and elite weapons (kittle, aiyuk, deebo, mostert are E L I T E with the ball in their hands) you can put up a lot of points.  

I think @RandyMossIsBoss is right, 2nd round tender on him this offseason. I dont think we expect to keep him, but I am honestly game to pay him less than average starter money and milk it for a few years while we develop another young QB with some more tools, even though I still believe in Jimmy to be an above average QB. 

35 minutes ago, N4L said:

some do, yes. Hes been inconsistent and everyone blames him for the superbowl loss even though chris jones is really the one they should blame

More than that though, it doesnt seem the front office/coaching staff trusts him long term at this point. We have for some reason refused to restructure him despite needing cap space. Right now the way it stands, we can cut him this offseason and pay him nothing (essentially).

I love mullens. Hes very consistent and he seems like he has great field awareness. He is a very good point guard/distributor. Hes not going to make a ton of off script, elite qb type plays, but hes going to operate the offense and get the ball in the hands of the playmakers ontime and accurately. He shows up every week and grinds like you want your QB to gind. When you have an elite coach and elite weapons (kittle, aiyuk, deebo, mostert are E L I T E with the ball in their hands) you can put up a lot of points.  

I think @RandyMossIsBoss is right, 2nd round tender on him this offseason. I dont think we expect to keep him, but I am honestly game to pay him less than average starter money and milk it for a few years while we develop another young QB with some more tools, even though I still believe in Jimmy to be an above average QB. 

I think Bridgewater type deal is pretty much the floor. NFL seems to be pretty "boom or bust" with QB deals in that if there are teams that want you starting, they will pay you a fat contract. If there aren't? You'll wind up like Jameis, and sign to be a backup somewhere for cheap. Don't really see reasonable 2 year, maybe $30M contracts thrown around at QBs.

and if Bridgewater deal is the floor, you wouldn't be saving all that much on Mullens than you are on Jimmy G, unless of course you manage to get picks for Jimmy in a trade.

edit: Of course maybe there wouldn't be teams vying for Mullens services as a starter, in which you could sign him for backup money.

It's an interesting situation, and if any team was in position to brave the "don't pay a QB" waters, it'd be the 49ers. Like you said, great offensive mind and a ton of playmakers for offense, and then a defense that is even more invested in. Put that $30M you'd spend on a "franchise QB" to get an even stronger roster and ride with QBs on their rookie deal until you stumble upon a truly elite QB, if you ever do. I'd love to see a team try it out. It's a tough sell all around though, not just from marketing perspective (any time a new QB is in town, media and fans just have 1 question: is he the guy or nah?) but even within a locker room where QBs naturally take on leadership role. Would a revolving door, and a regime that openly does not value the QB position like the rest of the NFL, work?

Edited by RandyMossIsBoss

Mullens is good for what he is. He hasn't a franchise savior though. And he's not an upgrade over Jimmy G, let alone as good as he is IMO. I feel like Shanahan makes a lot of guys, including Jimmy, better than they might be in other places. That being said, Mullens deserves credit since Shanahan couldn't turn C.J. Beathard into anything worth playing. 

I know the chirping will start heating up in regarding to Mullens getting the starting job over Jimmy G, but that's just dopey talk right now. 

I watched Mullens for years at Southern MIss, he definitely checks the boxes for those stupid announcer traits like, "moxie," and "is a gamer." He always seemed to outperform his physical limitations. I like him a lot, ton of fun to watch.

I don't see teams knocking down the door to trade for him and try him out as the guy though. At best I can see a team wanting to trade for him to start for a little while until their highly drafted QB feels ready, and there are plenty of other QBs who can fill that role.

Edited by Coffee & Contemplation

5 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

I have a hard time deciding on whether it's Mullens or is it the system, hell under this same system Brian Hoyer was a super serviceable starter with the Browns, had Matt Ryan as an MVP QB, and had Garoppolo in the SB. Not sure...

That only goes so far. Hoyer and Beathard both looked awful when they got their shot with Shanahan as the 49ers starter. Shanahan's system also couldn't fix Manzel either. 

Shanahan/Kubiak/Shanahan Jr. will give any quarterback a boost as we've seen. At the end of the day though they still have to have a decent amount of quality decision making on their part combined with "talent". I just think their offenses help maximize it. 

I don't know what Mullens would look like if he was on another team, but he's in maybe the best situation in the NFL if he wants to be in a coaching atmosphere that really helps him develop. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 1

Mullens is one of the best backup QBs in the league. The Niners got some calls for him in the offseason but didn't like what was offered for him. I even said that I wouldn't trade this guy without at least a 3rd rounder. Mullens will get the Eagles/Dolphins next and should be able to put up really good numbers. His flaw is he thinks his arm strength is better than what it really is so he will throw quite a few picks, but no question he is a gamer and very capable. I DO think he can be a starter in this league. Won't ever be a top level starter but solid enough. His teammates love him and his preparation is second to none.

Who knows, if he keeps this up, the Niners may be able to get a 2nd rounder for him. 

As long as Mullens is cheap and SF thinks they can contend, he's not going to be traded.   They need his skill set to run the Shanny O.   Besides the risk to JimmyG getting hurt (sky high), Covid-19 is placing a premium on having a plan B ready for any game, at any time.

Having said that, he's a classic fail-elsewhere guy IMO.  His skill set is perfect for the Shanny O.   Smart, mobile - but limited arm talent.   He reminds me of the classic 12+ year backup guys who are guys teams feel fine with playing for 2-3 games if needed - but not the long-term answer.    Still, those guys are valuable - but don't see them as the 16-game answer.   As such, I doubt the 49ers look to deal, as they wouldn't get the price that a good backup that can save a season, and win 2+ key games, offers at rookie level prices.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1