Week Three Recap: Pack Dat

mikebpackfan

This is what happens when you put an elite QB in this system. Don't need amazing weapons because the scheme opens them up. Just took our QB to loosen his grip on creative control. This will prolong his career for sure. He looks like the 2nd best QB in the NFL, and that's only because Russ is playing out of his mind. 

Defensively, bleh. Just too conservative for my taste. I loved the exotic nature of Pettine's blitz and coverage schemes when he got here, those are pretty much out the door. We had three plays in the red zone where the Saints had no TOs and a sack would end the half and give up 0. We chose to rush 3 on each of those plays and yielded a TD. Pettine is bland, vanilla and boring and his run fills suck. Our DBs are plenty good enough to trust with some riskier calls. I have no interest in keeping him around if he doesn't start playing "all gas, no brake" style of defense. LaFleur needs to find his Saleh, Pettine just doesn't fit the energy of this team right now.

• Like 8

12 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Am I the only one who thought Summers actually played OK at ILB last night? Had the one huge missed tackle on the long Kamara TD, but otherwise I thought he was around the ball a lot and made some key stops. 

Hey if you think so we'll take it. Who needs a Queen amirite

3 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

This is what happens when you put an elite QB in this system. Don't need amazing weapons because the scheme opens them up. Just took our QB to loosen his grip on creative control. This will prolong his career for sure. He looks like the 2nd best QB in the NFL, and that's only because Russ is playing out of his mind. 

Defensively, bleh. Just too conservative for my taste. I loved the exotic nature of Pettine's blitz and coverage schemes when he got here, those are pretty much out the door. We had three plays in the red zone where the Saints had no TOs and a sack would end the half and give up 0. We chose to rush 3 on each of those plays and yielded a TD. Pettine is bland, vanilla and boring and his run fills suck. Our DBs are plenty good enough to trust with some riskier calls. I have no interest in keeping him around if he doesn't start playing "all gas, no brake" style of defense. LaFleur needs to find his Saleh, Pettine just doesn't fit the energy of this team right now.

Because Pettine is a cured head coach with no ambition to get back to being a head coach.  

I have no idea who thought it was a great idea to hire that type of person.  Have you ever seen any kind of emotion whatsoever from Pettine?  I bet he watched that Kamara play and didn’t even say one thing to Redmond, Summers, Savage or Alexander.  He’s the retired nurse who gets a “get me out of the house” part time job who doesn’t take any initiative and isn’t much of a help to a company.

"Houston......we have found the TEs"

Targets: 10 (Tonyan 5 / Sternberger 3 / Lewis 2)
Receptions: 9 (Tonyan 5 / Sternberger 3 / Lewis 1)
Yards: 104 + 1 TD (Tonyan)

No seambusters....but nice, simple misdirection short completions.
Be nice if this game jump starts Sternberger's career.

25 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Am I the only one who thought Summers actually played OK at ILB last night? Had the one huge missed tackle on the long Kamara TD, but otherwise I thought he was around the ball a lot and made some key stops. 

Yea i thought Summers was solid. Hope Kirksey isn't out for too long but I feel good about the guys that have stepped up. Kamara is going to make everyone look foolish. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, persiandud said:

Per Next Gen Stats, the Packers used play-action on 52 percent of their dropbacks in this game, which is the highest rate for Rodgers in at least the past five seasons. On those dropbacks, he was 13-of-17 for 160 yards and three touchdowns.

As LaFleur said, his job is taking pressure off the QB... and that's partly by getting a running game going that they have to take seriously, and that also takes pressure off the pass blocking OL, something MM completely failed at his last year with GB

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Kirksey has been trash.  Every ILB would be trash in Pettine's system. 

Pettine's like, "See all this 20 yards of field?  You cover that.  Got it?  Good job, sport." 

Still think Kamal Martin has the chance to be our best ILB come December. I just hope we don't bury him on the depth chart after being injured. 

3 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Turner got his **** pushed in on running plays. Run game was piss poor overall last night but the Saints have a good front. If he looks bad vs Atlanta, we better pull the trigger of either putting him back at guard with Wagner at right tackle or simply putting Wagner back in.

I was a bit surprised Patrick was in over Wagner.

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

I felt like some of the young ILBers looked like the game was mentally going too fast for them...

And then Summers got in, and seemed mentally prepared and ready... while I didn't love him, that's his first NFL defensive snaps... I'm shocking myself this season in that the future of ILB might not be horrible with Barnes, Summers and I'm assuming Martin whom was allegedly penciled in as a starter with Kirksey before injuries.

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

This offensive system is great.

So this is why Pettine gets all blame and no credit, because he's not doing things your way and taking your advice... got it.