Week Three Recap: Pack Dat

mikebpackfan

4 minutes ago, Beast said:

This offensive system is great.

So this is why Pettine gets all blame and no credit, because he's not doing things your way and taking your advice... got it.

Do you ever use actual football in your arguments or just these lame comebacks about me?

Tell me, using football words, why Pettine is doing well.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Brit Pack said:

I really like the plug and play version of this offence. No more discussion about WRs creating separation, the scheme is doing the work. As is the O line. This is another game where Rodgers is pretty much untouched. I love not seeing those coverage sacks anymore. This is a really cool offence. It has got ball control, deep shots, misdirection and easy throws to open guys. Long may it continue!!!

Also if Turner was intended to be our RT why we go out and get Wagner. Seems like an expensive back up. If Turner is our RT for the next few years he is at a very affordable rate of about $8m per season. Cutting Wagner after the season would save $4.25m. Anyone got any insight in how Turner played, didn't hear his name much which is a good thing.

I hope this game deinflates the value of Aaron Jones a little. He is very good but not in the same league as Kamara. If we could get Jones at about $8m to $9m a season that would be ideal. 

Kevin King I don't think is worth a big contract. I hope he is not looking for one.

You answered your own question.

Depth is a good thing to have on the o-line.

2 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

This is what happens when you put an elite QB in this system. Don't need amazing weapons because the scheme opens them up. Just took our QB to loosen his grip on creative control. This will prolong his career for sure. He looks like the 2nd best QB in the NFL, and that's only because Russ is playing out of his mind. 

Defensively, bleh. Just too conservative for my taste. I loved the exotic nature of Pettine's blitz and coverage schemes when he got here, those are pretty much out the door. We had three plays in the red zone where the Saints had no TOs and a sack would end the half and give up 0. We chose to rush 3 on each of those plays and yielded a TD. Pettine is bland, vanilla and boring and his run fills suck. Our DBs are plenty good enough to trust with some riskier calls. I have no interest in keeping him around if he doesn't start playing "all gas, no brake" style of defense. LaFleur needs to find his Saleh, Pettine just doesn't fit the energy of this team right now.

First off, great post.

Defense lacks fire.  Saints were more jacked on defense than we were, for sure.  They ran a lot more "looks" and "schemes".  We looked pretty vanilla.

We have a couple good pass rushers, they have one.

They have good corners, we have good corners.  They have good safeties, we have good safeties.  We both kind of piece together the inside DL.

Yet their defense looked light years more energized and focused than ours.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Do you ever use actual football in your arguments or just these lame comebacks about me?

Tell me, using football words, why Pettine is doing well.

For the most part it's not about you... but but the lame comebacks seem to work for some (including your excuses) so I've just matched the energy...

People have already told you and you have completely dismissed it, 

Between last year and this year, have the Packers been not been winning? Was the offense great last year too? Or did the defense do something? Who's the last team to limit Wilson and Brees?

But nope, the Packers absolutely suck these pass two years because they're losing style points by not playing as aggressive on defense as you'd like... 

They really should be more aggressive like the 2011 so we can ***** about them, oh wait, we're already doing that...

2 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

Does it seem like Preston is in coverage more this year?

Yes, Preston is in the role that Fackrell was used as in coverage last year, as I guess we have no one better for that role... though I kinda wonder how Martin when healthy and experienced might fit in it, as Martin is physical but has some coverage instincts.

2 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

This is what happens when you put an elite QB in this system. Don't need amazing weapons because the scheme opens them up. Just took our QB to loosen his grip on creative control. This will prolong his career for sure. He looks like the 2nd best QB in the NFL, and that's only because Russ is playing out of his mind. 

Defensively, bleh. Just too conservative for my taste. I loved the exotic nature of Pettine's blitz and coverage schemes when he got here, those are pretty much out the door. We had three plays in the red zone where the Saints had no TOs and a sack would end the half and give up 0. We chose to rush 3 on each of those plays and yielded a TD. Pettine is bland, vanilla and boring and his run fills suck. Our DBs are plenty good enough to trust with some riskier calls. I have no interest in keeping him around if he doesn't start playing "all gas, no brake" style of defense. LaFleur needs to find his Saleh, Pettine just doesn't fit the energy of this team right now.

I'm not sure I agree. I think it's more of Rodgers #2 year in this offense. 

In fact, I'll go further (this has nothing to do with Ray). The people saying Rodgers was washed up ( throwing etc), stubborn control freak, won't change his game, big ego etc look like idiots after about a year and a quarter with a new coach and offensive mind. Him and Mac were just done.

Edited by Arthur Penske
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

First off, great post.

Defense lacks fire.  Saints were more jacked on defense than we were, for sure.  They ran a lot more "looks" and "schemes".  We looked pretty vanilla.

We have a couple good pass rushers, they have one.

They have good corners, we have good corners.  They have good safeties, we have good safeties.  We both kind of piece together the inside DL.

Yet their defense looked light years more energized and focused than ours.

Lot of good that energy did them as they got ripped apart all night. I'll take the defense that made the plays when they needed to and is 3-0 with room for improvements. Hopefully the energized defense can use that energy to overcome a 1-2 start. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Couldn't be happier with LaFleur.  Credit Mark Murphy for pulling the trigger on that guy. 

LaFluer wasn't my first choice, but was high on my list. As soon as I considered Murphy's track record, NFL experience, and education I had faith he'd make a good call. I'm sure Gutey and Ball were good advisors on it as well.

7 minutes ago, Pack2020 said:

Lot of good that energy did them as they got ripped apart all night. I'll take the defense that made the plays when they needed to and is 3-0 with room for improvements. Hopefully the energized defense can use that energy to overcome a 1-2 start. 

To that point, I feel like one could argue the Saints should be 3-0 and are only 1-2 because of penalties and shooting themselves in the foot... so their high energy might not all be good.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

LaFluer wasn't my first choice, but was high on my list. As soon as I considered Murphy's track record, NFL experience, and education I had faith he'd make a good call. I'm sure Gutey and Ball were good advisors on it as well.

I didn't know LaFleur well enough to have an opinion on him, but I've been a huge fan of this system for years and thought Kyle Shanahan would be a great head coach since his time with the Redskins and Browns.