Week Three Recap: Pack Dat

mikebpackfan

12 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Rodgers mentioned something like this in his post game too. I'm curious why they chose to cover him like that over lazard?

My guess is they thought they could contain Lazard easier, while they wanted to stop the speed from killing them.

Also both Lazard and MVS have had a number of long passes stop at the last 5 yard line... Packers have done a good job making sure to finish them with TDs, but I wish we didn't have to show much of the short yardage plays for coaches to try to figure it out, like Lazard sneaking out the back

But I'm sure they have a lot more plays as well, and counters etc.

11 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

also, i'll eat some crow on McCarthy. His scheme was STALE here. He needed that time off and we needed La Fleur.

I think Dungy nailed it, in that offensive scheme you need to make sure you have dominant WRs are your asking them to run iso routes and someone to win with the QB extending the play until he find the guy that won...

But if you're WRs aren't clearly winning one on ones (and man they sure did in 2011, that was beautiful), then that system is in trouble...

We didn't have the pieces for that system at the end... and MM stupidly doubled down and passed the ball 67+% of the time, 3rd highest ratio of any team since I believe they started tracking it in 2003... which put maximum pressure on the OL pass blocking and QB instead.of spreading it out...

And that's the beauty of LaFleur scheme, he stated his job is to take the pressure off the QB (and therefore OL pass blocking, which spreads it into the RB and the run blocking, which OL reportedly prefer to do), and spreads the pressure out more evenly between the players.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Defense lacks fire.  Saints were more jacked on defense than we were, for sure.  They ran a lot more "looks" and "schemes".  We looked pretty vanilla.

We have a couple good pass rushers, they have one.

They have good corners, we have good corners.  They have good safeties, we have good safeties.  We both kind of piece together the inside DL.

Yet their defense looked light years more energized and focused than ours.

It's a two-pronged problem.

1. Pettine's scheme isn't exactly designed to stop the run as it uses its IDL to pressure the QB, which is why the scheme works for Kenny and KeKe only where as Lancaster and Lowry are there as traditional 3-4 DL to draw double teams plugging running gaps and freeing up the EDGE guys; those guys obviously don't work in this scheme. 

2. The 4-3 look works better for their personnel not because they have better IDL than we do at this point, but because you have grizzled veterans like Cam Jordan, Demario Davis, Malcolm Jenkins, and Carl Granderson who know the scheme well. Many of our guys are still new or newer pieces, especially with the incredible fluidity at ILB and IDL to a lesser extent. We're in year 3 under Mike Pettine whereas New Orleans is in year 6 under Dennis Allen.  

I think the discussion should be moving from our stale defense, which is obvious, to how their offense sputtered in the passing game without Michael Thomas. Dare I say we got a bit better in the run game between the tackles as the game moved on(moving Z inside really helped), but our lateral defense stopping Kamara et. al on the outside was very spotty. This is where the 49ers have exploited us in recent times and we should expect that to continue in Week 10. Pettine will need to shore that up...

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

also, i'll eat some crow on McCarthy. His scheme was STALE here. He needed that time off and we needed La Fleur.

Energy level is a big thing.  LaFleur is young and hungry .. McCarthy got old and complacent.  LaFleur is grinding like McCarthy used to grind when he was a young man.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

You answered your own question.

Depth is a good thing to have on the o-line.

To pay Wagner as the 14th highest paid RT in the game is a bit rich for a back up. 

MLF keeps on going on about the best five suit up. That means Lucas Patrick at $1.15m is the better option than having Billy at RG and Wagner at RT. 

It goes back to my original point if the intention and that was discussed when he was signed last year, was to have Billy as a RT eventually, why go out and spend so much for a back up RT?

Just some bits from the box score:

-Jamaal Williams had the same number of carries as Alvin Kamara - 6.  Kamara seemed to be everywhere, but most of his touches were actually receptions, he had 13.

-Krys Barnes and Ty Summers both quietly had 9 tackles.  I really didn't notice Barnes was playing.  Oren Burks had 4 tackles, I wonder if most of that was on STs?

-Kamara and Murray had the same number of rushing yards - 58.  And if you take out Kamara's huge run (I know, you can't do that) he was pretty bottled up for the rest of the game, despite our apparent lack of ability to stop the run.

-While MVS was invisible, this week we got 104 yards and 2 TDs from our TEs, who had been mostly a non-factor in the first two weeks.  

3 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

To pay Wagner as the 14th highest paid RT in the game is a bit rich for a back up. 

MLF keeps on going on about the best five suit up. That means Lucas Patrick at $1.15m is the better option than having Billy at RG and Wagner at RT. 

It goes back to my original point if the intention and that was discussed when he was signed last year, was to have Billy as a RT eventually, why go out and spend so much for a back up RT?

Because of a clean jersey after three weeks.

Patrick is a great contract to have a depth guy inside.

Turner, probably was overpaid, and we have no real idea if he was the long term plan for RT.  And given how he looked at RG last year, it was less of a sure thing this offseason.

So when a quality vet like Wagner is free and you can ink him to a decent deal, you do it. 

And you play him when you have to. 

And your QB doesn't get touched, let alone killed. 

And you end up starting 3-0 despite having injured guys along your offensive line.

Just now, ThatJerkDave said:

Just some bits from the box score:

-Jamaal Williams had the same number of carries as Alvin Kamara - 6.  Kamara seemed to be everywhere, but most of his touches were actually receptions, he had 13.

-Krys Barnes and Ty Summers both quietly had 9 tackles.  I really didn't notice Barnes was playing.  Oren Burks had 4 tackles, I wonder if most of that was on STs?

-Kamara and Murray had the same number of rushing yards - 58.  And if you take out Kamara's huge run (I know, you can't do that) he was pretty bottled up for the rest of the game, despite our apparent lack of ability to stop the run.

-While MVS was invisible, this week we got 104 yards and 2 TDs from our TEs, who had been mostly a non-factor in the first two weeks.  

Ty Summers was all over the field.  Very active.  

I too didn't notice Barnes as much.

I very much noticed Burks towards the end of the game playing the coverage linebacker.  He was flying out there.  

Kamara and Murray each could have had career days rushing.  I was happy inside when they kept throwing.

MLF had a GREAT gameplan for how to run the offense with Adams out against all those good corners.  Tight ends came through for us and Lazard did just enough to keep the back end honest.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Because of a clean jersey after three weeks.

Patrick is a great contract to have a depth guy inside.

Turner, probably was overpaid, and we have no real idea if he was the long term plan for RT.  And given how he looked at RG last year, it was less of a sure thing this offseason.

So when a quality vet like Wagner is free and you can ink him to a decent deal, you do it. 

And you play him when you have to. 

And your QB doesn't get touched, let alone killed. 

And you end up starting 3-0 despite having injured guys along your offensive line.

Patrick is being paid like a back up and is starting. Wagner is paid like a starter and is backing up. 

If the intent was Wagner to be the back up you sign someone like Seattle did Cedric Ogbhuehi for  $2.4m. That's what you pay for a back up RT.