Week Three Recap: Pack Dat

mikebpackfan

1 hour ago, Beast said:

For the most part it's not about you... but but the lame comebacks seem to work for some (including your excuses) so I've just matched the energy...

People have already told you and you have completely dismissed it, 

Between last year and this year, have the Packers been not been winning? Was the offense great last year too? Or did the defense do something? Who's the last team to limit Wilson and Brees?

But nope, the Packers absolutely suck these pass two years because they're losing style points by not playing as aggressive on defense as you'd like... 

They really should be more aggressive like the 2011 so we can ***** about them, oh wait, we're already doing that...

That's not much of an answer … the D right now is non aggressive, period.  Rush 3 and drop 8 has gotten the Packers nowhere.  They won last year   but this offense is night and day better than last years.  The D has not shown that same improvement but hoping it does with Clark's return.  Sitting back in prevent works in certain situations but not as much as it's been played.  Would really like to see the D crank it up when the situation arises.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Just some bits from the box score:

-Jamaal Williams had the same number of carries as Alvin Kamara - 6.  Kamara seemed to be everywhere, but most of his touches were actually receptions, he had 13.

-Krys Barnes and Ty Summers both quietly had 9 tackles.  I really didn't notice Barnes was playing.  Oren Burks had 4 tackles, I wonder if most of that was on STs?

-Kamara and Murray had the same number of rushing yards - 58.  And if you take out Kamara's huge run (I know, you can't do that) he was pretty bottled up for the rest of the game, despite our apparent lack of ability to stop the run.

-While MVS was invisible, this week we got 104 yards and 2 TDs from our TEs, who had been mostly a non-factor in the first two weeks.  

We were getting killed on those bubble screens and quick-hits most of the game. We wised up to it later in the game which made a difference.

1 minute ago, vegas492 said:

1. Ty Summers was all over the field.  Very active.  

2. I too didn't notice Barnes as much.

I very much noticed Burks towards the end of the game playing the coverage linebacker.  He was flying out there.  

Kamara and Murray each could have had career days rushing. 3. I was happy inside when they kept throwing.

4. MLF had a GREAT gameplan for how to run the offense with Adams out against all those good corners.  Tight ends came through for us and Lazard did just enough to keep the back end honest.

1. This is the one time where I was ok with a guy whiffing on a few tackles or at least making contact. We have lacked the lateral range at ILB for quite sometime. 

2. Barnes did not play as much as he did last week but made a positive impact nonetheless.

3. It's because Kamara was killing us on those bubble screens and hot routes.

4. I've said this with McCarthy and I'm saying it with Rodgers. Rodgers and the offense is spectacular when running out of bunch formations. We've quietly been more efficient ever since we moved away from finesse receivers like Jennings to more physical receivers like Adams. It may not look gaudy in the box score, but it gets the job done.

4 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

Patrick is being paid like a back up and is starting. Wagner is paid like a starter and is backing up. 

If the intent was Wagner to be the back up you sign someone like Seattle did Cedric Ogbhuehi for  $2.4m. That's what you pay for a back up RT.

Patrick will get his money this offseason, just you watch. I'm wondering if Wagner's still hurt...

1 minute ago, coachbuns said:

That's not much of an answer … the D right now is non aggressive, period.  Rush 3 and drop 8 has gotten the Packers nowhere.  They won last year   but this offense is night and day better than last years.  The D has not shown that same improvement but hoping it does with Clark's return.  Sitting back in prevent works in certain situations but not as much as it's been played.  Would really like to see the D crank it up when the situation arises.  

Playing prevent in the red zone last night was the dumbest thing I've seen out of Pettine this year. Yeah, some guys need to be in zone, but you bring at least 5 guys in that situation and your film study should tell you who is going to release and when...

Here's my qualms with our defense last night versus theirs. On paper yes our D gave up 30, while theirs 37, so there really isn't any reason to laud their group, but it's the way each team scored that got to me.

The Saints came out on defense with a specific game plan for our team, sans Davante. They watched the tape, they saw without Tae that Aaron Jones was the most dynamic player on the field. When he went wide Marcus Lattimore (their best DB) followed. Jones was completely quiet in the pass game, and their dedication to stop him on the ground was apparent by the effectiveness of play action. The other thing you noticed watching us was MVS and his ability to take the top off of a defense and change a game. New Orleans shadowed him all game long with a safety over the top. New Orleans said, let Lazard and their TE group beat us, and we did just that. That happens sometimes, the other guys get paid too. You tip your cap and try and get better. (This is great news for our offense though, we were schemed for specifically and still kicked their ***.)

Now for the Packers, pretty simple, you knew they were going to feed Kamara and keep things quick in the passing game. Except on our end, their was nothing opponent specific, we play Pettine's defense like we will next week and we did the week before. Kamara split out wide, we wasted Jaire and King covering their corpse of a receiving group sans Thomas and trotted Barnes, Summers or Redmond, probably 3 of our weakest regulars out there to stop him. We played off coverage against a WR group that was at best bottom 10 in the league and a QB that threw 1 ball downfield this far this season. The Saints beat us on O by doing exactly what they wanted to do, what it was obvious to everyone they wanted to do, and that's more problematic to me than getting beat by a team who made some great adjustments.

• Like 4

I have one qualm. You take Dillon in the 2nd round, in his limited snaps he has shown the ability to break tackles effectively and is just a load to bring down, and you don't use him at all. There has got to be situations where Dillon can come in and pick up a 3rd and 1 or goal line situation. It makes me a little worried that his pass blocking has been bad or hes not picking up the playbook to not get any playtime. 

I understand Williams and Jones are both playing great ball but this guy has a great situational use that is just not being used. 

28 minutes ago, Joe said:

Playing prevent in the red zone last night was the dumbest thing I've seen out of Pettine this year. Yeah, some guys need to be in zone, but you bring at least 5 guys in that situation and your film study should tell you who is going to release and when...

The vast majority of teams rush 3 and drop 8 in a Cover-4 set in the redzone. That's the standard.

36 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

Patrick is being paid like a back up and is starting. Wagner is paid like a starter and is backing up. 

If the intent was Wagner to be the back up you sign someone like Seattle did Cedric Ogbhuehi for  $2.4m. That's what you pay for a back up RT.

Again.  After Bulaga left, there was no sure fire RT on the roster.

Turner was a "maybe".  No one figured Jenkins over there.

Wagner is on a fine deal to compete for a starting job.

Never complain about investing in offensive lineman.  Especially when you want to run often and have an old quarterback.

Whose jersey is very clean after 3 weeks.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

I have one qualm. You take Dillon in the 2nd round, in his limited snaps he has shown the ability to break tackles effectively and is just a load to bring down, and you don't use him at all. There has got to be situations where Dillon can come in and pick up a 3rd and 1 or goal line situation. It makes me a little worried that his pass blocking has been bad or hes not picking up the playbook to not get any playtime. 

I understand Williams and Jones are both playing great ball but this guy has a great situational use that is just not being used. 

We really haven't seen any reason to believe that Dillon is going to be a great short yardage back, and as much as we might look to see him, last night was a grown man's game. That was best on best football on just about every snap.

• Like 1

Just now, vegas492 said:

Again.  After Bulaga left, there was no sure fire RT on the roster.

Turner was a "maybe".  No one figured Jenkins over there.

Wagner is on a fine deal to compete for a starting job.

Never complain about investing in offensive lineman.  Especially when you want to run often and have an old quarterback.

Whose jersey is very clean after 3 weeks.

Amen to that. We don't score 40 points without good pass protection with injuries to Turner, Taylor, and Linsley. 

40 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

Well who said the D was going to improve? I'm pretty sure I said it'd get worse as the offenses and QBs we're facing in 2020 are better than the ones in 2019.

Pettine really should get super aggressive to make the fans happy and watch as the defense gets absolutely burned so we can watch football be even more like basketball and we can get some 100+ point games...

6 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

We really haven't seen any reason to believe that Dillon is going to be a great short yardage back, and as much as we might look to see him, last night was a grown man's game. That was best on best football on just about every snap.

And when Payton overthinks it and takes his best QB out for Hill there’s a 20% change in win probability for us.

7 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Short yardage is important and a lot of little things can go wrong with miscommunication, and I feel like they don't fully trust Dillon yet, but that's also partly due because they don't need to test him yet as well.

I’m fine with Dillon being fresh in the postseason, thanks.

Fresh and with a handful of reps here and there to get him ready and work out the kinks.

Jones and Williams can get the regular season work done. Let Dillon get late game reps in the playoffs when defenses are tired and Dillon isn’t.

• Like 1