Week Three Recap: Pack Dat

mikebpackfan

40 minutes ago, dwaye50327 said:

Then why draft Dillon so high if the Packers aren't going to give him a chance on 3rd and 1? Now that I think about it, I don't think I've seen Dillon in on any short yardage situation. Or even put in Jamal on short yardage situations, hes much strong than AJ and he proved that when he carried Lattimore for about 4 yards to get a first down.

Dillon put up 23 bench press reps at the combine....idk about that one...

32 minutes ago, VonKarman said:

The problem you have with Dillon right now is that if you put him in the game the defense knows you are gonna run. He's yet not very good at pass pro, and it's really important in LaFleur's scheme for a RB to be able to do it properly. My guess is he'll earn some more snaps during the season but he'll still end the season as a RB3 unless some injuries happen.

So he can't chip and release on a bubble screen?

16 minutes ago, Pugger said:

I wonder if McCarthy will wear out his welcome in Dallas.  He has one of the top RBs in the league and is still flinging the ball instead.

Reminds me of when Aaron Jones had that one breakout game a couple years ago and then was sparingly used. This forum collectively lost their $#!^

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

Here's my qualms with our defense last night versus theirs. On paper yes our D gave up 30, while theirs 37, so there really isn't any reason to laud their group, but it's the way each team scored that got to me.

The Saints came out on defense with a specific game plan for our team, sans Davante. They watched the tape, they saw without Tae that Aaron Jones was the most dynamic player on the field. When he went wide Marcus Lattimore (their best DB) followed. Jones was completely quiet in the pass game, and their dedication to stop him on the ground was apparent by the effectiveness of play action. The other thing you noticed watching us was MVS and his ability to take the top off of a defense and change a game. New Orleans shadowed him all game long with a safety over the top. New Orleans said, let Lazard and their TE group beat us, and we did just that. That happens sometimes, the other guys get paid too. You tip your cap and try and get better. (This is great news for our offense though, we were schemed for specifically and still kicked their ***.)

Now for the Packers, pretty simple, you knew they were going to feed Kamara and keep things quick in the passing game. Except on our end, their was nothing opponent specific, we play Pettine's defense like we will next week and we did the week before. Kamara split out wide, we wasted Jaire and King covering their corpse of a receiving group sans Thomas and trotted Barnes, Summers or Redmond, probably 3 of our weakest regulars out there to stop him. We played off coverage against a WR group that was at best bottom 10 in the league and a QB that threw 1 ball downfield this far this season. The Saints beat us on O by doing exactly what they wanted to do, what it was obvious to everyone they wanted to do, and that's more problematic to me than getting beat by a team who made some great adjustments.

I really haven't gone back and watched each game from a strategic point of view, so I can't say that I have a lot specific to say in criticism of this defense, but this really resonates with my impressions from the TV copy.  There's something about this defense so far this year that feels like a splinter in the mind watching it.  

I feel like a nice canary in the coal mine is the number of snaps Lancaster keeps getting.  Man is playing 49% of the defensive snaps, and that physically hurts me.  I get that Kenny is out; it doesn't matter.  Kenny gets the kind of snaps he does because he's a monster in every phase of the game.  Lancaster offers nothing on any kind of lateral run or pass play of any kind, and if he's on the field for play action it's basically 10 men on defense; if it's an inside run play it's fifty/fifty he's either washed out of his gap or just doesn't feel the run anyway.  WHY IS HE PLAYING SO MANY SNAPS.

I'd much rather live and die with a 2-4-5 or even 2-5-4 if you need Z at the 3 and just give up what you give up in the run game.  Yeah if it's 13 personnel sure, bring Lancaster in and run base.  But for most anything else, I'll give up some weight in the box to just let this group of athletes get after it, especially since this ILB group can actually run, whatever their other issues.

1 hour ago, Beast said:

Well who said the D was going to improve? I'm pretty sure I said it'd get worse as the offenses and QBs we're facing in 2020 are better than the ones in 2019.

Pettine really should get super aggressive to make the fans happy and watch as the defense gets absolutely burned so we can watch football be even more like basketball and we can get some 100+ point games...

You're kind of like my wife ... going overboard on anything I say.  I want them to get more aggressive in certain situations ... the man line and 8 deep isn't getting it done as shown consistently.  They don't have to go balls to the walls all the time; pick and choose appropriately.  

30 minutes ago, Joe said:

Dillon put up 23 bench press reps at the combine....idk about that one...

So he can't chip and release on a bubble screen?

Reminds me of when Aaron Jones had that one breakout game a couple years ago and then was sparingly used. This forum collectively lost their $#!^

Maybe I'm missing the point, but who cares about bench press when your legs are tree trunks. The bench is such a stupid combine event, doesn't prove anything.

3 hours ago, Pack2020 said:

Lot of good that energy did them as they got ripped apart all night. I'll take the defense that made the plays when they needed to and is 3-0 with room for improvements. Hopefully the energized defense can use that energy to overcome a 1-2 start. 

Just imagine if our defense would consistently bring that energy and sense of urgency to the game.

3 hours ago, incognito_man said:

what does this mean? that MVS was mostly invisible because he drew safety over the top all game?

I think one7 coverage refers to #17 Davante adams?

Saying they covered him like they would cover Davante?  I'm not sure that's exactly what happened, might be a bit of MVS making excuses, but it could be they sold out to stop 17... who didn't play and then they rolled that to MVS.

2 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

I think one7 coverage refers to #17 Davante adams?

Saying they covered him like they would cover Davante?  I'm not sure that's exactly what happened, might be a bit of MVS making excuses, but it could be they sold out to stop 17... who didn't play and then they rolled that to MVS.

yes he was indicating that he got bracketed with a safety, as davante usually does. AR mentioned in the post game that they shaded coverage to MVS' side all game.

1 hour ago, Pugger said:

I wonder if McCarthy will wear out his welcome in Dallas.  He has one of the top RBs in the league and is still flinging the ball instead.

I'm not following it closely but I thought he was going to continue letting the offensive coordinator from the previous year keep calling the plays

31 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

You're kind of like my wife ... going overboard on anything I say.  I want them to get more aggressive in certain situations ... the man line and 8 deep isn't getting it done as shown consistently.  They don't have to go balls to the walls all the time; pick and choose appropriately.  

Lots of people want them to be more aggressive... and I wonder would that make better or worse results.

As I believe **** LeBeau said something like, if you aren't doing well as you hope, fans always scream to be more aggressive and blitz more... 

LeBeau basically says fans always want to be even more aggressive, no matter what the problem is.

1 hour ago, Norm said:

Just in general, or we got burnt by them? I felt we got a LOT of calls are way that if the roles were reversed we'd be very pissed right now.

Just in general.  For the Saints, the horsecollar and the one DPI were pretty bad. But, I don’t know that either of them were too critical. The Hill OPI I think was technically 1.1 yds, but I’d think they should that go. The spot on the field for that Jones 4th down was insane, but it was overturned. If I were a Saints fan, I’d be pointing out the hand jerking Rodgers is doing on his hard count should technically be a false start (unless they changed something I’m not aware of). 

For us, the running into the kicker was bad (because it was obvious, not critical, although they did have a good return on that punt).  The very critical holding on Z was insanely ticky-tack.

To give them credit, I think they non PI on Lewis was correct and the false start on the Saints 4th down was too. 

• Like 1