Where do we go from here?

JMG5

The Bad:

-Brees has a noodle arm.

-Our corners are awful, including Lattimore.

-Peat is injured again. 

-We call bubble screens on 3rd and 6. 

-We still can't stop bootleg plays.

-We are the most penalized team in the league.

The Good:

-Alvin is amazing.

-Michael Thomas should be back next week.

We've been outplayed in every game this season. How do you think the team should adjust moving forward? Defensive adjustments? Bench Brees? I'm not sure what the answer is, but the team needs to tighten up because right now we don't look anything like a playoff team.

Edited by JMG5

Brees wasn’t that bad last night.  That’s the type of game where if we’d have won, nobody would have cared.  He was inaccurate first two weeks, not so much last night.  

Defense has been atrocious, apart from week 1, and even then had more to do with Brady and Bucs screw ups.  Secondary can’t cover and they’re still committing penalties.

We need to get the refs on our side that should be priority #1. I'm not sure what to make of Brees really, he consistently throws short of the sticks but 1) he may well just be 'executing the offense' and 2) he's been throwing short of the sticks since forever and the Saints have had success doing it. Difference between then and now is I used to believe he was capable of uncorking a decent 20 yard throw (or longer) and now my confidence in him is a little shaken. One things for sure we're missing Thomas bad and need him back to full strength asap.

For this season? Saints are done. They'll be able to be somewhat competitive, but they're not a Super Bowl team. Teams will continue to play the Saints like the Rams and Vikings did in playoff games in years past. Knowing Brees can't push the ball downfield, they'll just continue to shorten the field and pack 8 or 9 close to the line. 

Last night's game was lost after the Taysom fumble though. The 4th down stop and momentum shift was huge, only to give it right back and basically bury a dagger in themselves. 

I don't think season is quite over, but we're on a clock. I don't think we should overreact but at the same time, there should be red sirens blazing. This defense is rubbish. Can anyone name me one starter that isn't Demario Davis who has consistently played well the past 3 games?

Cam Jordan has been invisible. Lattimore/Jenkins have been inconsistent and now at a snap to snap basis. Our secondary is a penalty machine as long as the throw is over 20 yards. Unless we blitz we can't seem to get pressure on the QB.

I think what's more scary is our game plan is lacking SO much. We made Waller look like an All-pro. We've been fooled in two consecutive weeks by bootleg throws. What the hell are these guys actually doing in practice?

Right now Dennis Allen's seat should be getting incredibly warm. For years we've been a crap defensive penalty team (on reddit someone mentioned we were the worst defensive penalty team in the past 3-4 seasons), and it's the same. I said in the offseason we needed to replace our secondary coch and I stand by it. We have broken coverages, crap communication. Like this is amatuer hour. I'll ask again, what did these guys work on in training camp.

Atleast on offense you can see improvement. O-line played better, run game was far better, and our WRs even got open. However playcalling is still questionable. Brees looks mighty hesitant for the first time as a Saint.

Also for the love of god, stop with the Taysom Hill draw play, it hasn't worked in over a year FFS.

57 minutes ago, Canadian Saint said:

I don't think season is quite over, but we're on a clock. I don't think we should overreact but at the same time, there should be red sirens blazing. This defense is rubbish. Can anyone name me one starter that isn't Demario Davis who has consistently played well the past 3 games?

Cam Jordan has been invisible. Lattimore/Jenkins have been inconsistent and now at a snap to snap basis. Our secondary is a penalty machine as long as the throw is over 20 yards. Unless we blitz we can't seem to get pressure on the QB.

I think what's more scary is our game plan is lacking SO much. We made Waller look like an All-pro. We've been fooled in two consecutive weeks by bootleg throws. What the hell are these guys actually doing in practice?

Right now Dennis Allen's seat should be getting incredibly warm. For years we've been a crap defensive penalty team (on reddit someone mentioned we were the worst defensive penalty team in the past 3-4 seasons), and it's the same. I said in the offseason we needed to replace our secondary coch and I stand by it. We have broken coverages, crap communication. Like this is amatuer hour. I'll ask again, what did these guys work on in training camp.

Atleast on offense you can see improvement. O-line played better, run game was far better, and our WRs even got open. However playcalling is still questionable. Brees looks mighty hesitant for the first time as a Saint.

Also for the love of god, stop with the Taysom Hill draw play, it hasn't worked in over a year FFS.

Cam Jordan is consistently getting pressure, they just isn't anyone else consistently back there to take advantage of the QBs having to move.  We are really missing Rankins and Davenport right now.

Jenkins and Lattimore always seem to be with the WR but I don't know if it's scheme or what it is allowing the WR to have a specific spot that QBs can throw to that beats the cover.

Really we need to just get rid of Dennis Allen.  We have a lot of talent he just isn't using it well, though as I said it might be because our DL isn't getting the pressure needed, outside of Jordan, and they are constantly need to send an extra blitzer or hope our CBs can cover for 8 seconds.

10 minutes ago, Raves said:

Cam Jordan is consistently getting pressure, they just isn't anyone else consistently back there to take advantage of the QBs having to move.  We are really missing Rankins and Davenport right now.

Jenkins and Lattimore always seem to be with the WR but I don't know if it's scheme or what it is allowing the WR to have a specific spot that QBs can throw to that beats the cover.

Really we need to just get rid of Dennis Allen.  We have a lot of talent he just isn't using it well, though as I said it might be because our DL isn't getting the pressure needed, outside of Jordan, and they are constantly need to send an extra blitzer or hope our CBs can cover for 8 seconds.

I haven't seen as much pressure from Jordan. Maybe I'm missing it. Agreed that he is alone on an island...especially without Onyemata who is probably our 2nd best guy on the DL. If I wasn't reminded about Davenport every now and then I honest would forget that he was even on the team. I don't think that the secondary is as bad as it seems...they just have no help from our defensive front. 

6 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

I haven't seen as much pressure from Jordan. Maybe I'm missing it. Agreed that he is alone on an island...especially without Onyemata who is probably our 2nd best guy on the DL. If I wasn't reminded about Davenport every now and then I honest would forget that he was even on the team. I don't think that the secondary is as bad as it seems...they just have no help from our defensive front. 

Well I'm constantly seeing him in the backfield around the QB with the OL on him, but the DTs and other DE are almost always stuck at the LOS or getting pushed back.  Like I said before, if we were going to trade up for a player that is always on IR like Davenport is, we could've at least gotten Derwin James who looked like a future HOFer before getting hurt.  Not getting Clowney is really starting to look like a huge loss for our defense.

8 hours ago, Jlowe22 said:

Brees wasn’t that bad last night.  That’s the type of game where if we’d have won, nobody would have cared.  He was inaccurate first two weeks, not so much last night.  

Defense has been atrocious, apart from week 1, and even then had more to do with Brady and Bucs screw ups.  Secondary can’t cover and they’re still committing penalties.

Brees' accuracy did look better last night. Still didn't drive the ball on any throw and was short on a lot of them, but he did look better on some throws.

9 minutes ago, Raves said:

Well I'm constantly seeing him in the backfield around the QB with the OL on him, but the DTs and other DE are almost always stuck at the LOS or getting pushed back.  Like I said before, if we were going to trade up for a player that is always on IR like Davenport is, we could've at least gotten Derwin James who looked like a future HOFer before getting hurt.  Not getting Clowney is really starting to look like a huge loss for our defense.

I haven't seen anyone on the DLine do much of anything.

Maybe Cam is still recovering from the off season surgery. He should've been dominate in the Raiders game and he was a nonfactor.

I came back after who knows how long just to say I am so over Brees. I've been over Brees. His price tag is not worth the production on the field. His limited arm strength limits the play calling and offensive production. His end game stats completely hide how inefficient he actually is. Yes the defense played poor, but Kamara and Thomas will not be enough to sustain the offense. We need a QB who will stretch the field and make plays further then just 5-7 yards at a time. I HATE to say this but I am pretty much on board for Jameis from Week 4 onward. Yes its much riskier, but he can at least allow us to make plays down field. No, last night is not just on Brees. But I put a huge chunk of it on him. Anyone who knows me around here knows I have been ready to move on from Brees for some time now. His price tag has been hampering this team. Needs to be sooner than later.

BTW Alvin Kamara is a straight up animal.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, navysaintsfan said:

I came back after who knows how long just to say I am so over Brees. I've been over Brees. His price tag is not worth the production on the field. His limited arm strength limits the play calling and offensive production. His end game stats completely hide how inefficient he actually is. Yes the defense played poor, but Kamara and Thomas will not be enough to sustain the offense. We need a QB who will stretch the field and make plays further then just 5-7 yards at a time. I HATE to say this but I am pretty much on board for Jameis from Week 4 onward. Yes its much riskier, but he can at least allow us to make plays down field. No, last night is not just on Brees. But I put a huge chunk of it on him. Anyone who knows me around here knows I have been ready to move on from Brees for some time now. His price tag has been hampering this team. Needs to be sooner than later.

BTW Alvin Kamara is a straight up animal.

I'm 99.9% sure this is his last season and as much as I would like to just say screw it and put another QB in, I think Drew has earned the right to go out on his shield. 

Honestly, the team probably isn't as good as we thought it was.  If we choose to blame the offensive troubles on Brees, that's fine, but our defense isn't the top ten unit some people claim.  They're an above average unit that looked spectacular because we're used to the garbage fires that got trotted out every year.

Not that they don't have good moments, but they have way too many bad moments

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JMG5 said:

I'm 99.9% sure this is his last season and as much as I would like to just say screw it and put another QB in, I think Drew has earned the right to go out on his shield. 

Yea he's not been bad enough to bench, by a stretch.  A veteran HoFer needs an epic collapse to get benched. 

Ignoring the emotions from wins and losses, Brees and the offense have looked better each week so far.  It's unfortunate the defense is trending the opposite way.

• Like 1