Where do we go from here?

JMG5

Did anyone notice when they showed the intro for the defense the other night it had Anzalone ranked 10th out of like ~90 linebackers by PFF ? 😄 Have I seen Anzalone do anything? We're missing a lot from our defensive front too. Haven't seen Cam Jordan do anything, and then Granderson and Hendrickson are more like role players that are getting thrust into the starting lineup. Rankins, much as I love the guy, is an afterthought at this point and doesn't offer much anymore. I never believed the hype about "best roster top to bottom in the NFL" that I heard so many times because I know better but this is lower than even my muted expectations. Limiting the flags should help this defense get off the field at least? We'll see against Detroit.

And if not for a top 5 run of Kamara's career, does this game slip away sooner than the 4th quarter? This whole "give Kamara the ball and hope he makes everyone miss" offense ain't it.

• Like 1

This may sound weird, but I don't think Brees has a noodle arm. That said, his brain is done. Rewatch the film and you'll see him pull pass after pass of guys who were open, but he either can't see it, can't process it, or doesn't trust himself. It was bad Sunday night, it was horrible Monday night, and it was evident in game 1.
We won't see it, but he needs to be on the bench. Something Tribisky/Foles style. I'll pray I'm wrong, but being wrong for 2 of 16 games won't cut it.

There are 53 men in the game at any point. We can't hold on to 1 man's legacy while so many others struggle. ...and by the way, let's throw Jenkins into the mix. Late, grabby, and shoulder tackling. Sure, he plays all the snaps, but at a slightly higher than mediocre pace.

Payton should be on the hot seat. The "offensive genius" dials up plays Brees can't decipher, and the only outlet is Kamara as a check-down guy. Of all the other talent, we can't muster any offense to compete with the "good teams". Sure, we've thrown up yards, and the D has stopped stud running backs,  but the yards aren't as much as the opposition, and the D can't handle TE's or anything under 12 yards. It's getting messy out their. The offense is useless after 13 yards, and I can tell you what's coming - but I've never coached. That's bad.

We have had bad penalties, and quite a few have been garbage. That said, enough have been legit, and it's telling. The guys are getting beat, so they're breaking the rules due to being pressured.

This is a .500ish team. We'll beat a few good teams, and we'll dump some crap against the "lose a 24 point lead" Falcons. It's not looking good.

Oh, and over reacting happens after week 1 & 2, so that argument is out the window. There are some 3-0 teams with lesser talent, so where are our genius's? We're 1/5 of the way through the season and haven't changed, which means we won't change. We've seen this before with 3 consecutive 7-9 seasons.

I don’t think his brain is done, he’s just been too hesitant for whatever reason.  Perhaps he doesn’t trust his arm or the receivers or both, or perhaps something else.  I have seen him go through reads and make good throws though.

If he doesn’t trust his arm though, then he’s done.  Receiver trust can get better.

We’ve been a top 3 ranked offense for years, any decline will look bad, even though it’s technically still a better offense than half the league.  Combined with sub par defense, it’s no surprise we’re sitting at 1-2.

In any case, its looked better each week so far.  We’ll see how it goes from here on out.  We thought the sky was falling after the 0-2 start in 2017 where we looked even worse than now.  Maybe we have one more decent run left.

1 hour ago, Jlowe22 said:

I don’t think his brain is done, he’s just been too hesitant for whatever reason.  Perhaps he doesn’t trust his arm or the receivers or both, or perhaps something else.  I have seen him go through reads and make good throws though.

If he doesn’t trust his arm though, then he’s done.  Receiver trust can get better.

We’ve been a top 3 ranked offense for years, any decline will look bad, even though it’s technically still a better offense than half the league.  Combined with sub par defense, it’s no surprise we’re sitting at 1-2.

In any case, its looked better each week so far.  We’ll see how it goes from here on out.  We thought the sky was falling after the 0-2 start in 2017 where we looked even worse than now.  Maybe we have one more decent run left.

Yeah that 2017 0-2 start our defense couldn't cover a peewee flag football team that were playing in wheel chairs in a muddy field.

• Like 1

Just looking at the stats a moment, even though it’s only been 3 games, our defense is ranked 27th in points against.  That’s getting back to god-awful territory.

Last 3 years we’ve been:

2017: 10th

2018: 14th

2019: 13th

Points per drive given up is even worse. We’re ranked 30th this year, last three years it’s been 13th, 20th, 16th.

The only surprise here is that we’re not 0-3, and somehow manages to be competitive.

Edited by Jlowe22

1 hour ago, Jlowe22 said:

Just looking at the stats a moment, even though it’s only been 3 games, our defense is ranked 27th in points against.  That’s getting back to god-awful territory.

Last 3 years we’ve been:

2017: 10th

2018: 14th

2019: 13th

Points per drive given up is even worse. We’re ranked 30th this year, last three years it’s been 13th, 20th, 16th.

The only surprise here is that we’re not 0-3, and somehow manages to be competitive.

That's end of year stats though.  What were we through 3 weeks in each of those?  Pretty sure we were dead last or close to it in the '17 season after 2 games before finally turning it up.

3 hours ago, Raves said:

That's end of year stats though.  What were we through 3 weeks in each of those?  Pretty sure we were dead last or close to it in the '17 season after 2 games before finally turning it up.

Yes it’s for the whole year.  We were bad at the start of the year in 2017 and 2018, not so much in 2019 though. If they follow the same trend, the defense will get better as the year goes on while having the occasional cluster**** game like 49ers last year.

I mean we've made the opposition punt twice in the last 7 periods of football. We can't cover a pass over 15 yards without taking a penalty. And our pass rush is lacking.

While we've improved on D every year, this is ridiculous. There are just so many holes. That has to start alarm bells in your head.

Edited by Canadian Saint

On 9/28/2020 at 8:12 PM, Mid Iowa said:

This may sound weird, but I don't think Brees has a noodle arm. That said, his brain is done. Rewatch the film and you'll see him pull pass after pass of guys who were open, but he either can't see it, can't process it, or doesn't trust himself. It was bad Sunday night, it was horrible Monday night, and it was evident in game 1.
We won't see it, but he needs to be on the bench. Something Tribisky/Foles style. I'll pray I'm wrong, but being wrong for 2 of 16 games won't cut it.

There are 53 men in the game at any point. We can't hold on to 1 man's legacy while so many others struggle. ...and by the way, let's throw Jenkins into the mix. Late, grabby, and shoulder tackling. Sure, he plays all the snaps, but at a slightly higher than mediocre pace.

Payton should be on the hot seat. The "offensive genius" dials up plays Brees can't decipher, and the only outlet is Kamara as a check-down guy. Of all the other talent, we can't muster any offense to compete with the "good teams". Sure, we've thrown up yards, and the D has stopped stud running backs,  but the yards aren't as much as the opposition, and the D can't handle TE's or anything under 12 yards. It's getting messy out their. The offense is useless after 13 yards, and I can tell you what's coming - but I've never coached. That's bad.

We have had bad penalties, and quite a few have been garbage. That said, enough have been legit, and it's telling. The guys are getting beat, so they're breaking the rules due to being pressured.

This is a .500ish team. We'll beat a few good teams, and we'll dump some crap against the "lose a 24 point lead" Falcons. It's not looking good.

I said something similar after the first game in regards to his mind. It doesn't look like he's processing the game fast enough. If he is processing but not trusting himself, that's just as big of a problem. He's left a lot of wide open throws on the field in 3 games. Very uncharacteristic. He's also currently under a 5.0 avg for air yards, which is brutal. Next closest is Carr, who is a tick over 6.0.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I really hope we don't pay Lattimore. He has all the talent in the world, but he plays mediocre most of the time. I hope we trade him instead of giving him the massive contract he's going to ask for.

I'm sure after we trade him he's going to become a stud with better coaching and a better scheme, but for some reason CBs just regress with us. 

5 hours ago, JMG5 said:

I really hope we don't pay Lattimore. He has all the talent in the world, but he plays mediocre most of the time. I hope we trade him instead of giving him the massive contract he's going to ask for.

I'm sure after we trade him he's going to become a stud with better coaching and a better scheme, but for some reason CBs just regress with us. 

Rather than ditch Lattimore only to bring in a new player who receives the continued mediocre coaching, how about we ditch our secondary coaching staff and hire some people with fire?

We've brought in talent year after year after year, and drafted talent. You know when these guys are playing great? It's when they first arrive and they're still playing with their former coaches in their heads. Then our coaches get ahold of them and they play mediocre. THEN they go somewhere else, perform high, come back to us and go back to medicre.

It's been this way for years, and even the #1 players aren't going to change it. This is on coaching/culture within that secondary.

2 hours ago, sammymvpknight said:

If you think that Lattimore is inconsistent and takes plays off now...wait until he gets paid. I agree...I wouldn't resign him. Good but not great player who is going to get paid like a great player based on his rookie year and name. No chance you pay him before a guy like Ramczyk

You think we pull an Ingram and let him shop? Jenkins is good, and we've got some other guys that are stepping up okay. So maybe just let him go.