Where do we go from here?

JMG5

4 hours ago, Mid Iowa said:

Rather than ditch Lattimore only to bring in a new player who receives the continued mediocre coaching, how about we ditch our secondary coaching staff and hire some people with fire?

We've brought in talent year after year after year, and drafted talent. You know when these guys are playing great? It's when they first arrive and they're still playing with their former coaches in their heads. Then our coaches get ahold of them and they play mediocre. THEN they go somewhere else, perform high, come back to us and go back to medicre.

It's been this way for years, and even the #1 players aren't going to change it. This is on coaching/culture within that secondary.

I definitely agree. It's a coaching/scheme issue. I really think Sean pushes for us to be a blitz heavy/man to man team in an effort to force turnovers. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sammymvpknight said:

If you think that Lattimore is inconsistent and takes plays off now...wait until he gets paid. I agree...I wouldn't resign him. Good but not great player who is going to get paid like a great player based on his rookie year and name. No chance you pay him before a guy like Ramczyk

Someone out there has got to be willing to give a 2nd for him. Maybe even a late 1st.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Fray32 said:

What's the specifics with Jenkins? He always struck me as a luxury, short-term rental to help us win a championship. Letting Lattimore walk and retaining Jenkins feels wrong to me.

Walking and retaining really depends on the performance of the individual, no? Who cares if Jenkins was intended as a short-term, if he performs well, keep him. And if Lattimore can't play to the level his future contract will demand, then it's time to let him walk. I don't think anything "feel wrong" as much as it may seem disappointing. (in my opinion)

• Like 1

One guy that has gotten a lot of flak this year is Drew Brees. I've seen so many comments along the lines of him being "washed up", "arm is shot", "should have retired", etc. Here are the facts so far through 5 games this season (without reigning offensive player of the year for 4 of those games).

The offense currently ranks 5th in the NFL in points per game with 30.6

Drew Brees QB Rating is 102.7 (10th in NFL)

Drew Brees Completion Percentage is 71% (5th in NFL)

Drew Brees has 9 touchdown passes (9th in NFL...Plus a rushing TD)

Drew Brees has 3 inteceptions (7th best among QB's with+ 100 attempts)

If he continues like this he is projected to finish the year with:

4,259 passing yards, 32 touchdowns, and 10 interceptions

In other words, without his top target in Michael Thomas and very little chemistry to start the season with Emmanuel Sanders (unorthodox training camp/no preseason), he has still been top 10 in most of the bigger QB stats. He obviously doesn't look like "prime Drew Brees" anymore, but some of these comments I've seen on him are straight up ridiculous. He doesn't look much different than he has the past few seasons. He has been a dink and dunk QB with an elite mind for quite some time. He hasn't had a dangerous deep ball for some time, but he still has enough arm to get it done in the short/intermediate game. He continues to thrive at it even without the best WR in football to throw to. 

• Like 1

Arm strength wise, Brees isn’t any different than he’s been since 2017 at least.  People who don’t watch him play just assume it’s gotten weaker, but it really hasn’t.  No one paid attention to it when the Saints were blowing teams out and Brees would throw 4 TDs every week.  It was the same velocity it is now.  

Early in the year, Brees looked worse than normal accuracy wise.  Which was concerning, considering that accuracy and football IQ are the reasons Brees is able to play in the league with lower than average velocity.  

Brees noodle arm is often used as the scapegoat for our last 2 playoff losses, but that really isn’t the case either.  The Vikings and the Rams are capable of getting consistent interior pressure with superstar sdlinemen, which is the same way teams beat prime Brees, or any qb for that matter, almost everyone struggles against consoderable inside pressure.  We’re a combined 2-6(unless I’m forgetting a game) against the Vikings and Rams since 2017, and one of those wins our offense looked bad in.  Those two teams have our number, and they are the teams that beat us in the playoffs.

Now, we can possibly blame some of that on Brees and his age, but it has less to do with arm strength and more to do with not being mobile enough/losing some agility and elusiveness he used to have.  As well as occasionally, he’s simply going to have a bad game.  It doesn’t matter how hard you can throw the ball, you will have bad games.  

The league is trending towards athletic freak QBs, and this simply makes Brees look older and worse every year, but the fact remains he’s been an elite QB for years, and has been performing well after struggling early in the year.  He’s only gonna get older, slower, and weaker from here, but he certainly hasn’t fallen off a cliff yet.

Edited by Jlowe22
  • Like 1

I've seen some news that the Saints are trying to lobby for the use of LSU Stadium in order to get some fans to attend the game. This is interesting for a few reasons: 1) the obvious is that we'd have some fans in attendance which could help a little bit? But personally I'm thinking the impact would negligible, 2) it's outdoors in Louisiana. I've never been myself but I hear its very hot and very humid in those parts. We could host other teams in the rain, too. All of that would be an interesting change of pace for home games, not sure what the ramifications would be (advantageous or not), 3) in a way, LSU stadium was a prologue of sorts to Drew Brees' career with the New Orleans Saints. We of course recall that is where the Saints played home games in 2005 because of Hurricane Katrina. The team wasn't very good, they finished with the second overall pick, hired a new coach, took a big risk and signed a franchise quarterback with a big question mark around his health, and ultimately redefined the culture of the franchise for the next 15 years. If this proves to be the last dance for Brees, LSU stadium would act as a sort of bookend to his career with this organization which is pretty cool if you're into narratives. 

Edited by Fray32

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Jlowe22 said:

Our schedule doesn’t look all that friendly.  We almost certainly split with Bucs and Falcons(who will play us like it’s their super bowl as always).  Looking at the rest of the schedule, I can’t see us better than 10-6 or 11-5.

Man, Bears, Chiefs, another Buccs game now that Tom & crew have things clicking, last year's Super Bowl runner up... And you nailed it with the Falcons.
Normally I'm optimistic, but this defensive secondary has me thinking in lock-step with you.

• Like 1

So the Cowboys released Poe.  He's obviously been a bit of a disappointment lately, but would anyone else want the Saints to bring him in for a workout and kick the tires on him to see if he could help us out on an incentive based contract?  I know we did something similar in the past with Fairley when it seemed like he had been starting to fall off a little and he was pretty good for us before injury.

12 minutes ago, Raves said:

So the Cowboys released Poe.  He's obviously been a bit of a disappointment lately, but would anyone else want the Saints to bring him in for a workout and kick the tires on him to see if he could help us out on an incentive based contract?  I know we did something similar in the past with Fairley when it seemed like he had been starting to fall off a little and he was pretty good for us before injury.

I'm seeing mixed reviews on Poe. That said, the Dallas D has looked like hot garbage this year. So even if he's worth a look, it's been masked by the most pathetic play of the NFL this year. So, that may be coaching (like I've said about our secondary). Look at what our D line does with no name guys, and I'd say he's worth kicking the tires, like you said.

So we're down Calloway for this game against the Bears too 😅 Brees really coming full circle in his time here because this receiver room is 2006-2008 tier Saints. Next thing you know we'll be signing Terrence Copper (out of an assisted living care facility, presumably)

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Fray32 said:

So we're down Calloway for this game against the Bears too 😅 Brees really coming full circle in his time here because this receiver room is 2006-2008 tier Saints. Next thing you know we'll be signing Terrence Copper (out of an assisted living care facility, presumably)

We are literally out of receivers. All of the sudden, Dez Bryant is looking really good. Do you think we snag him from the Ravens practice squad?