Panthers sign S Jairus Byrd

TheKillerNacho

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20904396/carolina-panthers-sign-former-pro-bowl-safety-jairus-byrd

Remember when he was a promising young safety for the Bills only to fall into the defensive black void that is New Orleans? Probably nothing more than a depth signing but interesting nonetheless. Anyone have any hope that he can turn around his career?

The Panthers had a need at safety with Kurt Coleman's injury.

1 hour ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Usually players who haven't been good in almost half a decade aren't going to be good again.

Obviously. But being that the Saints tend to never get the most out of their players, there may be a chance that Byrd can be successful in a rotational, role, or backup role in Carolina.

22 minutes ago, footbull3196 said:

I remember thinking he was the piece that was going to send New Orleans to the Super Bowl when he first signed.  That feels like forever ago.  No idea why it turned out as badly as it did but to be fair he had very little help

Injury played a major role in it... the other is the lack of help in New Orleans including the defensive coaching.

4 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Injury played a major role in it... the other is the lack of help in New Orleans including the defensive coaching.

The *exact same* defensive staff coached a top 5 defense the year before. Byrd just sucks now. He got injured and was completely useless afterwards. I blame a lot of things on our staff (most recently, Stephone Anthony) but Byrd is not one of those thing. Byrd got screwed by injuries.

1 hour ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Obviously. But being that the Saints tend to never get the most out of their players, there may be a chance that Byrd can be successful in a rotational, role, or backup role in Carolina.

Not doubting the significance of injuries, but that doesn't make my statement any less true.

I don't understand how the person I initially responded to on here could say he its a very good signing cause Byrd is a very solid player when he hasn't proven that in some time. 

Archived