QB 2022 and beyond

RandyMossIsBoss

14 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

Could be. If he’s refusing to be here it’s sort of a moot point though.

Carson has fundamental issues that have plagued him, going further back than just this year. This masks all he can be, and he doesn’t seem ready to acknowledge any of it and work to get better.

Yup, and time is ticking. He went from WAY ahead of the curve as a 24 year old MVP candidate to now being WAY behind, as most QBs entering year 6 worth building around have firmly established themselves as franchise QBs. Wentz at this point feels like a rookie again, nice talent but whether he succeeds or fails feels like a weighted coin toss (w/ the coaches influencing probability of success).

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Yup, and time is ticking. He went from WAY ahead of the curve as a 24 year old MVP candidate to now being WAY behind, as most QBs entering year 6 worth building around have firmly established themselves as franchise QBs. Wentz at this point feels like a rookie again, nice talent but whether he succeeds or fails feels like a weighted coin toss (w/ the coaches influencing probability of success).

Yup, and I'd much rather take that coin toss with the 22(?) year old who doesn't think he is God's gift to the QB position and actually willing to take coaching. Let the Hurts era begin....

20 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

I think it would have been fair to claim he is that kind of talent after 2017: just year 2 and he was stringing together top level performances, pulling off plays weekly that only a handful of QBs could make. No QB had his combination of size, arm talent and mobility... but then the injuries happened, he didn't seem to progress mentally as expected, and more importantly talents like Mahomes and now Josh Allen emerged who both surpass Carson in that "arm + size + mobility" combo, so he looks less and less special or unique as a talent.

I don't think eagles18 is being delusional as much as he's just stuck in 2017...

If you wanna say that in 2017 he was top tier talent, that's fine and it's not wrong. If you want to say in 2021 that he is a top tier talent that's being delusional. 

1 hour ago, Scalamania said:

He has taken zero ownership thus far. Everything you see is "Carson Wentz is not happy with the Eagles", "Carson Wentz relationship with Eagles strained", "Carson Wentz unsure of future", "Carson Wentz trust with Eagles damaged". 

Not once this off-season has he come out and said I need to be better. All that is being said is that he's unhappy with the Eagles. Unhappy why? Because they didn't promote Press Taylor? Because they drafted another quarterback? Because he got benched for said quarterback? 

Thiiiiiissssssssss

Wentz, playing like utter dog ish, says “just going to keep doing what I’m doing and being me.” Nah man, you gotta own up to it. You can blame Doug and your weapons and the blocking and maybe there is a lot of blame there, admittedly. But to act like it’s everyone else’s’ fault is just an awful reaction. I’d be all for Wentz if he just came out and said, “hey it was a terrible year for me, for us.  I didn’t play any where near what is capable of me. I watched some tape and got together with the offense and we’re going to get it right and improve. But firstly, I have to be better. I have to fix the issues and get it back on track. The offense starts with me.” Boom. Over. 

Dude played like crap, got benched and was silent. Which means he obviously didn’t agree with the situation and didn’t take full blame for it. Im sure he was a good teammate but he clearly wants to move on and take no accountability for any of the issues last year. Doesn’t sit well with me. That screams of a guy that doesn’t think he’s got any issues when he clearly does. If the FO blamed Doug solely then Carson should have been told he’s got a ringing endorsement from them and he’s the starter going forward no matter what. But I really think he’s butthurt now. He got pulled and no one had his back and now he wants to fold it up and go. I honestly would take a worse QB with better resolve for my guy. I think he’s gone but he’s as much to blame for any of this than anyone else.  Maybe more so. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

Thiiiiiissssssssss

Wentz, playing like utter dog ish, says “just going to keep doing what I’m doing and being me.” Nah man, you gotta own up to it. You can blame Doug and your weapons and the blocking and maybe there is a lot of blame there, admittedly. But to act like it’s everyone else’s’ fault is just an awful reaction. I’d be all for Wentz if he just came out and said, “hey it was a terrible year for me, for us.  I didn’t play any where near what is capable of me. I watched some tape and got together with the offense and we’re going to get it right and improve. But firstly, I have to be better. I have to fix the issues and get it back on track. The offense starts with me.” Boom. Over. 

Dude played like crap, got benched and was silent. Which means he obviously didn’t agree with the situation and didn’t take full blame for it. Im sure he was a good teammate but he clearly wants to move on and take no accountability for any of the issues last year. Doesn’t sit well with me. That screams of a guy that doesn’t think he’s got any issues when he clearly does. If the FO blamed Doug solely then Carson should have been told he’s got a ringing endorsement from them and he’s the starter going forward no matter what. But I really think he’s butthurt now. He got pulled and no one had his back and now he wants to fold it up and go. I honestly would take a worse QB with better resolve for my guy. I think he’s gone but he’s as much to blame for any of this than anyone else.  Maybe more so. 

This.

All of this.

2017 is dead.

It's Hurts time.

Let's go baby 

• Like 2

Just posted a reply in the NFL General thread... 

What if???

We trade Wentz for picks n a ham sandwich. 

We get his contract off the books, saving what 100+ over the next 4 seasons? 

We then talk to Watson and make a trade for him. Give them Hurts and the king's ransom. 

I skipped lunch and my coffee buzz is wearing off so please excuse the day dreaming. 

Go Birds

MC

2 hours ago, Scalamania said:

He has taken zero ownership thus far. Everything you see is "Carson Wentz is not happy with the Eagles", "Carson Wentz relationship with Eagles strained", "Carson Wentz unsure of future", "Carson Wentz trust with Eagles damaged". 

Not once this off-season has he come out and said I need to be better. All that is being said is that he's unhappy with the Eagles. Unhappy why? Because they didn't promote Press Taylor? Because they drafted another quarterback? Because he got benched for said quarterback? 

Everything you see, yeah, that someone is "reporting", or rather I should say speculating. We just don't know for a fact. And, to be honest, I trust Jason Kelce more, than what people are trying to say they know, when they don't. 

What are the facts? 

He was terrible this year, maybe even the worst starting qb. 

He got benched, and by all accounts, rightfully so.

He was not happy with his own performances, nor with the performance of the whole offense, he said that in each of his pressers. "... and that starts with me..." He got benched, obviously he was less happy with that move. Everyone confirmed he was a role model to Hurts and to the rest of the team after his benching.

We just don't have all the relevant info to judge whether his silence is justified, or not justified. 

I am definitely on his side, and I believe he can become the player he used to be. 

5 minutes ago, furti said:

We just don't have all the relevant info to judge whether his silence is justified, or not justified.

What does this even mean? When someone as reputable as Schefter comes out and reiterates word for word yesterday "This is real, none of this is made up" in regards to Carson wanting out...all he has to do is say "Not true".

Instead, he doesn't make himself available when the season was over and there were rumors he wanted out, then with big name and very reputable guys confirm he just lets it hang there. 

Why? Because he knows denying it is a lie, and he's not a liar. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mastercheddaar said:

Just posted a reply in the NFL General thread... 

What if???

We trade Wentz for picks n a ham sandwich. 

We get his contract off the books, saving what 100+ over the next 4 seasons? 

We then talk to Watson and make a trade for him. Give them Hurts and the king's ransom. 

I skipped lunch and my coffee buzz is wearing off so please excuse the day dreaming. 

Go Birds

MC

And what if Watson is garbage because of a new offense, patchwork oline, terrible receivers, and Sirianni sucks at game planning and play calling? I guess you would shout that he should be cut. 

And btw, from 2017-2019 this is how they compare. 

Wentz: 40 games, 81 TD 21 INT, 10409 yards, 98.3 rating

Watson: 38 games, 71 TD 29 INT, 9716 yards, 101.0 rating

41 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

I think it would have been fair to claim he is that kind of talent after 2017: just year 2 and he was stringing together top level performances, pulling off plays weekly that only a handful of QBs could make. No QB had his combination of size, arm talent and mobility... but then the injuries happened, he didn't seem to progress mentally as expected, and more importantly talents like Mahomes and now Josh Allen emerged who both surpass Carson in that "arm + size + mobility" combo, so he looks less and less special or unique as a talent.

I don't think eagles18 is being delusional as much as he's just stuck in 2017...

I don't think i'm stuck in 2017. I think 2019 proved he was elite with the supporting cast he had around him. The constant injuries, lack of talent at skill positions, and coaching (since Reich left) should be blamed for his struggles. He hasn't had anyone to throw too that is consistently on the field other than his TEs and his former coach was unintentionally sabotaging him with practically using the same playbook from 4 years ago. I would like to see Mahomes or Allen in his situation this past year with the coaching staff we had and the ridiculous amount of injuries on the offensive side of the ball 

28 minutes ago, furti said:

And what if Watson is garbage because of a new offense, patchwork oline, terrible receivers, and Sirianni sucks at game planning and play calling? I guess you would shout that he should be cut. 

Don't give them facts. The league is loving Watson right now. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, eagles18 said:

I don't think i'm stuck in 2017. I think 2019 proved he was elite with the supporting cast he had around him. The constant injuries, lack of talent at skill positions, and coaching (since Reich left) should be blamed for his struggles. He hasn't had anyone to throw too that is consistently on the field other than his TEs and his former coach was unintentionally sabotaging him with practically using the same playbook from 4 years ago. I would like to see Mahomes or Allen in his situation this past year with the coaching staff we had and the ridiculous amount of injuries on the offensive side of the ball 

So no blame for Wentz at all?

I repeat, absolutely delusional. 

35 minutes ago, furti said:

This is a what have you done for me lately league, and Wentz is coming off one of the worst seasons for a QB with the “franchise QB” label EVER. Watson is coming off an amazing year. Furthermore, Wentz’s trajectory since 2017 is downhill. Watson’s is uphill. Maybe a “4 1sts” vs “1 4th” difference in their price is over the top, as the media seems to think, but there’s certainly a significant gap in their values that is deserved. I don’t think Watson would in any circumstance have a year like Wentz just did, too good for that.