QB 2022 and beyond

RandyMossIsBoss

6 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Sure they are pretend otherwise all you want. 

Play hardball with Watson, conduct detrimental to the team dock his pay accordingly because he refuses to suit up as a Texans. 

That accomplishes what to make the 2021 Texans better? Does it enhance his trade value for 2022? Or make him look like petulant child for sitting out?

Watson has ALL of the leverage,  Texans have None!

The only leverage Watson has is he can just retire and stop playing football and lose out on millions of dollars. He is under contract for five more years and is a top 5 player at the most important position in all sports. You don’t let players like that go, end of story. If the Texans trade him it will be looked at as the biggest failure in the history of the nfl. 

The ONLY way the Texans should trade Watson is if they get such a massive return that it makes sense. Ie 3-4 first round picks. 

1 minute ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

You'll feel stuck that we got better?

I feel the fear that we are panicking and settling for being in the middle. Both with QB prospects that all have some big questions and by losing good picks that could help refill this roster.

Particularly it would be the feeling of the Howie crack back where he rushes to fix something and ends up not dealing with things properly. My fear is it could be even worse as the heat from the fanbase is at an all time high.

If we do it and that guy turns into a stud, it's obviously great.
But my fear and worry is that feeling in the gif for sure. Howie has over time turned has turned my view on any possibility to the highest level of pessimism.

5 minutes ago, Kiltman said:
14 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

You'll feel stuck that we got better?

I feel the fear that we are panicking and settling for being in the middle. Both with QB prospects that all have some big questions and by losing good picks that could help refill this roster.

Yeah... I don't know.

This is a great QB class on paper unlike what is probably gonna come out in 2022.

2 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Yeah... I don't know.

This is a great QB class on paper unlike what is probably gonna come out in 2022.

Feel like we say that every year though.

Guys rise every year. This year is one of the few drafts where you have a guy like Lawrence that has been a known quantity for years. Fields was on the list too.

Was anyone really hyping up Wilson last year? Lance has gone up and down in just this draft season multiple times.

I'm not saying they won't be great or that next year is for sure comparable. Only that it's a lot of eggs to put in one basket, especially when a lot of other positions need to get at least one egg for once. We need to build through the draft for once.

Just now, Kiltman said:

Feel like we say that every year though.

Guys rise every year. This year is one of the few drafts where you have a guy like Lawrence that has been a known quantity for years. Fields was on the list too.

Was anyone really hyping up Wilson last year? Lance has gone up and down in just this draft season multiple times.

I'm not saying they won't be great or that next year is for sure comparable. Only that it's a lot of eggs to put in one basket, especially when a lot of other positions need to get at least one egg for once. We need to build through the draft for once.

2018 and this year have been up years for QB Prospects. 2019 sucked. Last year was solid.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

It depends on what we have to give up to move up to 2 or 3.... but if you think about how high we will likely be picking next year.... what do we give up to get there? It just doesn’t make sense. 

I think we would be moving up to 3 and it does make sense if you think that highly of the prospect.

Not sure how much we would have to give up to move up those 3 spots. If another team is in the bidding too and it gets too high, then don't do it, but if its not a lot and you like the guy I think you have to go get him. We could be picking 1st overall next year and maybe Sam Howell is the definite clear cut #1 guy in that class, but that isn't a guarantee.

The main thing I worry about drafting a QB this year: Do we really trust Howie to get it right?

It's not like Howie just picks it without consulting his HC first. Howie will ask Sirianni what he thinks of Hurts, then ask what he thinks of the high end QBs in this draft. If Sirianni thinks of any of them (that we can realistically get) as notably better than Hurts, Howie probably goes and gets them.

Y'all are actually fools if you think Howie just does whatever the heck he wants without asking others their opinions. Especially when it comes to drafting a QB.

I'm ready to move on from Howie at this point, but now that Doug's gone y'all just conveniently forget that Doug was just as bad at his job as Howie is as a GM if not worse. If Howie just threw darts a board, a competent coach would've made something out of at least a few of them, right? Literally no players we drafted worked out, which tells me it's more a problem of their cultivation, rather than the players themselves. There are absolutely some inexcusable picks made, like JJAW, Miller, and Thorson for example. But then you have players like Reagor, Sidney Jones, Agholor, that just completely flop because of pathetic coaching. Hopefully Sirianni can actually do something with Reagor unlike Doug.

1 minute ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

I think we would be moving up to 3 and it does make sense if you think that highly of the prospect.

Not sure how much we would have to give up to move up those 3 spots. If another team is in the bidding too and it gets too high, then don't do it, but if its not a lot and you like the guy I think you have to go get him. We could be picking 1st overall next year and maybe Sam Howell is the definite clear cut #1 guy in that class, but that isn't a guarantee.

So you think Fields is the guy going forward? If it’s Wilson I get it but I think he is gone at 2 for sure. And if you do you think this team is set up in a way where he will have a chance to look decent next year? And we really trust Howie to make that choice that is so incredibly important?

I just don’t like it. We are going to be trash this year regardless and the only special prospect is going first overall. See what we have in Hurts and get a QB next year.

Just now, Danger said:

It's not like Howie just picks it without consulting his HC first. Howie will ask Sirianni what he thinks of Hurts, then ask what he thinks of the high end QBs in this draft. If Sirianni thinks of any of them (that we can realistically get) as notably better than Hurts, Howie probably goes and gets them.

Y'all are actually fools if you think Howie just does whatever the heck he wants without asking others their opinions. Especially when it comes to drafting a QB.

I'm ready to move on from Howie at this point, but now that Doug's gone y'all just conveniently forget that Doug was just as bad at his job as Howie is as a GM if not worse. If Howie just threw darts a board, a competent coach would've made something out of at least a few of them, right? Literally no players we drafted worked out, which tells me it's more a problem of their cultivation, rather than the players themselves. There are absolutely some inexcusable picks made, like JJAW, Miller, and Thorson for example. But then you have players like Reagor, Sidney Jones, Agholor, that just completely flop because of pathetic coaching. Hopefully Sirianni can actually do something with Reagor unlike Doug.

Howie has the final say on every pick. Of course the coach has input, but Howie is the one who is responsible for the draft and the roster. No one is saying Howie is solely responsible for every single thing that has ever gone wrong, but when you are in charge of the draft and our drafts are as bad as they have been the past 4 years, you might not be good at your job. 

Yes, our last coaching staff didn’t develop players properly, but they also didn’t have a ton of talent in general. Reagor got hurt and I don’t think he looked all that bad last season, he just wasn’t Jefferson so it looks worse. Agholor was a Chip pick. Sidney Jones had a three game stretch where he looked good in Jacksonville and ended the season on IR again.... If you look at the players we drafted under Howie they have almost all underperformed relative to there draft spots. Regardless of what you say about coaching, our drafts have been awful and yes that is Howie’s fault. 

So you think Fields is the guy going forward? If it’s Wilson I get it but I think he is gone at 2 for sure. And if you do you think this team is set up in a way where he will have a chance to look decent next year? And we really trust Howie to make that choice that is so incredibly important?

No we won't be decent and I never said we should trust him. We should figure out if we think one of the QBs is worth taking at 3. If you don't feel Fields can be like top 10 or half of the league, then I get it. I think he definitely can. It would be weird having Hurts and Fields battling it out in training camp for the starting job.