QB 2022 and beyond

RandyMossIsBoss

1 hour ago, Jroc04 said:

The quandary would be how the hell Wilson fell. I really like Wilson but I’m just as ok taking a position of need and riding Hurts out this year. Either he does well enough to invest into a 3rd year or we’re utter crap and getting a new QB anyhow. I can wait a year. My question would be can we flip Hurts for a second? Then I’m aggressively trying to land Wilson if that’s the case. 

Also a distinct possibility that Hurts looks okay but not great nor awful. That's the part I'm afraid of. If we take a QB high, that's the guy. Then it's a necessity to flip Hurts for something. His value would be highest the closer we get to the season if a team totally struck out on finding their QB. Which makes it an even more complicated and tough choice. I'm really torn on what to do here. It's fun though.

Edited by EagleBlueDon

4 hours ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

You would obviously take Wilson here. The problem is he has 0 chance of making it past pick 2 or 3. Fields also has almost no chance of falling out of the top 3. If either falls you take them. The question is do you use the capital to move up and get them.

Big part of the question is seeing how much confidence we have in Hurts. If we would all grab  Wilson ASAP then perhaps we should try to make that happen?

Go Birds

MC

New coaching staff you have to go BPA to try and help round out this aging roster. 

Definitely not interested in Z Wilson. Doesn't give me elite QB vibes. 

Someone mentioned Howie passing on small school QBs 

I'd put Zach Wilson in that category with Trey Lance. Wary of 1 year boosting his stock into the top 10, c'mon they played two teams with at least 7 wins.     

If Deshaun Watson and Mahomes were drafted in the teens, within that same draft class this kid shouldn't be drafted until after the first round. 

3 hours ago, Mastercheddaar said:

Big part of the question is seeing how much confidence we have in Hurts. If we would all grab  Wilson ASAP then perhaps we should try to make that happen?

Go Birds

MC

No... its not that simple. If a potential franchise QB is on the board who we love at 6 we take them. That said this team is going to be terrible next year so its just not a good idea to use up a lot of resources for a QB right now that would be surrounded by bad talent. If we have to use future draft picks in 2022 to get a QB this year... we should probably not do it cause we will likely be picking top 5 again next year. Take BPA across the board this draft, get young talent into the team and next season look at QB if Hurts isn't the answer. 

BUT, if the guy we love drops to 6 you obviously take him. That said, that almost certainly won't happen. Teams are going to take these QBs early.

55 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

No... its not that simple. If a potential franchise QB is on the board who we love at 6 we take them. That said this team is going to be terrible next year so its just not a good idea to use up a lot of resources for a QB right now that would be surrounded by bad talent. If we have to use future draft picks in 2022 to get a QB this year... we should probably not do it cause we will likely be picking top 5 again next year. Take BPA across the board this draft, get young talent into the team and next season look at QB if Hurts isn't the answer. 

BUT, if the guy we love drops to 6 you obviously take him. That said, that almost certainly won't happen. Teams are going to take these QBs early.

Howie might know he's on the hot seat so maybe he does trade future assets to buy himself a couple extra seasons with a rookie QB? Just a thought. Usually when gms/coaches take a rookie QB that usually buys them extra time

5 hours ago, EagleBlueDon said:

Also a distinct possibility that Hurts looks okay but not great nor awful. That's the part I'm afraid of. If we take a QB high, that's the guy. Then it's a necessity to flip Hurts for something. His value would be highest the closer we get to the season if a team totally struck out on finding their QB. Which makes it an even more complicated and tough choice. I'm really torn on what to do here. It's fun though.

I disagree. I think you’ll know if you have something or not. Love his poise, mobility. Questions about his arm and accuracy. Those are big questions. He’s either going to prove he can make NFL throws or not. But I don’t think you avoid a QB you love for him.  If there’s an opportunity you have to take it. 

20 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

I disagree. I think you’ll know if you have something or not. Love his poise, mobility. Questions about his arm and accuracy. Those are big questions. He’s either going to prove he can make NFL throws or not. But I don’t think you avoid a QB you love for him.  If there’s an opportunity you have to take it. 

Yes I think if they love one of these guys you take them. I don't think he was drafted to be a starter in the first place. But that doesn't mean he can't become one though.

5 hours ago, nlesthought said:

New coaching staff you have to go BPA to try and help round out this aging roster. 

Definitely not interested in Z Wilson. Doesn't give me elite QB vibes. 

Someone mentioned Howie passing on small school QBs 

I'd put Zach Wilson in that category with Trey Lance. Wary of 1 year boosting his stock into the top 10, c'mon they played two teams with at least 7 wins.     

If Deshaun Watson and Mahomes were drafted in the teens, within that same draft class this kid shouldn't be drafted until after the first round. 

You're going to use Watson and Mahomes as examples of players that teams overlooked to suggest that teams should now overlook Wilson and Lance? 

16 hours ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

I'm going to have to take a good long look at these QBs. I know what a bum looks like. I'm a die hard Buckeye but Fields seems like the biggest bust potential. (Don't get me wrong, he can run and throw the ball great) I didn't like how he disappeared in big games last season (Indy and Bama.) 

The others I really have not looked into much. 

Go Birds

MC