Is Alvin Kamara the best Running Back in the NFL? (Part 2)

sammymvpknight

5 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Henry's been the best since last year, people (me included) just didn't wanna crown him.

I agree with this - when you can win a playoff game and your QB doesn't even eclipse 100 yards passing, you know you have a very rare RB who might not have any peers.

7 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I agree with this - when you can win a playoff game and your QB doesn't even eclipse 100 yards passing, you know you have a very rare RB who might not have any peers.

And said playoff game was against a very stout run defense, too, who all knew you were getting the rock all game long and they still couldn't stop you.

Edited by AFlaccoSeagulls
  • Like 1

I’ll say this. I don’t know if Henry’s the best but the thing that truly separates him from the other RBs in the best in the league discussion is his durability and conditioning. He hasn’t had any major injury that has knocked him out multiple games or affected his play(*knock on wood*) and he seems to never get tired. Hence why he’s such a beast in the second half of games and the later part of the season.

13 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

Said about all of the HB's I just listed lol. Henry has an argument, so does Barkley, so does CMC, so does Kamara. People are reactive, its human nature.

But... Henry led the league in rushing yards and TDs last season. Had one of the greatest postseason performances last year too. This isn't based on JUST the Indy performance yesterday, he's been doing this for a better part of three years.

Why is calling Henry the #1 RB in the league reactive? If anything, every other name is a reaction - Henry has been consistent over the course of this particular discussion, it's just everyone else has a peak to join the discussion (and a subsequent valley to fall out of this discussion). 

If you're really paying attention, Henry isn't really falling from this conversation (and I say this as a division rival). @AFlaccoSeagulls and I aren't Titans fans (I'd wager we're the opposite of Titans fans) but we're pretty sure this guy is the truth.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

Said about all of the HB's I just listed lol. Henry has an argument, so does Barkley, so does CMC, so does Kamara. People are reactive, its human nature.

I don't know what the argument is for any of those backs you mentioned, tbh.

Barkley specifically has no argument.

CMC is the closest you're going to get, but the Panthers' offense hasn't dropped a beat with Mike Davis back there who is the very definition of a JAG.

Kamara is a great pass catcher but the Saints' offense is loaded with weapons so defenses can't key on Kamara and the guy hasn't rushed for over 83 yards this year. Probably the best receiving back in the NFL, but that's about it.

Henry is by far the best RB of all of them. The offense centers around him and even when teams know he's coming, they can't stop him. That same thing cannot be said about any of those other guys.

As a Saints fan, I think I'd have my team face Henry than a guy like McCaffrey. For me the versatility is just such a game changer. Henry is a one trick pony, but does that trick exceptionally well. That said, I think teams such as the Saints have an easier time shutting that down over a guy like McCaffrey that can hurt you in many different ways. We had no problem shutting down McCaffrey in the run game last year as he posted some of his worst games rushing against us in what was probably the top season by any RB last year, but he still found a way to hurt us in the pass game both times we played against him.

This is where it really just comes down to preference for me. You got 2 guys with exceptional versatility that can make impacts lined up all over the field in Kamara and McCaffrey. You have a one trick pony freak of nature in Henry that can wear a team down over 4 quarters, and Cook who isn't quite as versatile as guys like Kamara and McCaffrey, but is about as explosive as they come running the ball. Statistically these guys (minus McCaffrey due to injury) have gone back and forth throughout the season as the top RB. 

1 minute ago, tyler735 said:

As a Saints fan, I think I'd have my team face Henry than a guy like McCaffrey. For me the versatility is just such a game changer. Henry is a one trick pony, but does that trick exceptionally well. That said, I think teams such as the Saints have an easier time shutting that down over a guy like McCaffrey that can hurt you in many different ways. We had no problem shutting down McCaffrey in the run game last year as he posted some of his worst games rushing against us in what was probably the top season by any RB last year, but he still found a way to hurt us in the pass game both times we played against him.

This is where it really just comes down to preference for me. You got 2 guys with exceptional versatility that can make impacts lined up all over the field in Kamara and McCaffrey. You have a one trick pony freak of nature in Henry that can wear a team down over 4 quarters, and Cook who isn't quite as versatile as guys like Kamara and McCaffrey, but is about as explosive as they come running the ball. Statistically these guys (minus McCaffrey due to injury) have gone back and forth throughout the season as the top RB. 

Yeah, Ravens last year and this year said the same thing. I get where you're coming from though, and that's why CMC is the closest argument to Henry because of Barkley/Kamara, he's the most balanced.

But Henry is the Randy Moss (one trick pony but that trick is unstoppable) compared to the Jerry Rice (all-around great) of CMC. My main knock on CMC, like I alluded to earlier, is that his production was basically completely replaced by a JAG off the street, so it makes me wonder just how good CMC really is, or if some of that production is a product of the system he plays in.

19 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I don't know what the argument is for any of those backs you mentioned, tbh.

Barkley specifically has no argument.

CMC is the closest you're going to get, but the Panthers' offense hasn't dropped a beat with Mike Davis back there who is the very definition of a JAG.

Kamara is a great pass catcher but the Saints' offense is loaded with weapons so defenses can't key on Kamara and the guy hasn't rushed for over 83 yards this year. Probably the best receiving back in the NFL, but that's about it.

Henry is by far the best RB of all of them. The offense centers around him and even when teams know he's coming, they can't stop him. That same thing cannot be said about any of those other guys.

Michael Thomas has been out most of the season as he's been healthy for about 2 games this year, Sanders has missed multiple games, and Brees has missed multiple games this year. This is not really an accurate depiction of how this season has gone for the Saints on offense. Ask any Saints fan about our offense, and you will quickly find out Kamara has been the focal point of this team for most the season. Doubt we are the #1 seed currently in the NFC without him, and may not even be 1st in the NFC South. He has been essential for us in many of our wins this season. We had games where our WR's were Tre'Quan Smith, Marquez Callaway, Deonte Harris, Austin Carr, and Juwan Johnson. That is essentially an entire WR group of undrafted guys playing WR for us other than Tre'Quan Smith. He's been dinged up the past couple games, and his usage has taken a pretty big hit, but he still has 1,200+ scrimmage yards and 12 touchdowns. Have a feeling he bounces back to his usual numbers in the coming weeks.

Edited by tyler735

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

But... Henry led the league in rushing yards and TDs last season. Had one of the greatest postseason performances last year too. This isn't based on JUST the Indy performance yesterday, he's been doing this for a better part of three years.

Why is calling Henry the #1 RB in the league reactive? If anything, every other name is a reaction - Henry has been consistent over the course of this particular discussion, it's just everyone else has a peak to join the discussion (and a subsequent valley to fall out of this discussion). 

If you're really paying attention, Henry isn't really falling from this conversation (and I say this as a division rival). @AFlaccoSeagulls and I aren't Titans fans (I'd wager we're the opposite of Titans fans) but we're pretty sure this guy is the truth.

What I’m saying is two weeks ago people were saying Dalvin Cook. Sure, you might not be reactive but I’m not targeting you. I’m saying in general, this thread has just become the flavor of the month.

• Like 1

Just now, MookieMonstah said:

What I’m saying is two weeks ago people were saying Dalvin Cook. Sure, you might not be reactive but I’m not targeting you. I’m saying in general, this thread has just become the flavor of the month.

Oh well... Yeah, it was a bad thread when it was 90+ pages that we eventually locked. That hasn't changed.

9 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Yeah, Ravens last year and this year said the same thing. I get where you're coming from though, and that's why CMC is the closest argument to Henry because of Barkley/Kamara, he's the most balanced.

But Henry is the Randy Moss (one trick pony but that trick is unstoppable) compared to the Jerry Rice (all-around great) of CMC. My main knock on CMC, like I alluded to earlier, is that his production was basically completely replaced by a JAG off the street, so it makes me wonder just how good CMC really is, or if some of that production is a product of the system he plays in.

Davis had 2-3 really good games, but over the entirety of his starts, it doesnt really even come close to cmc. Its like 65-70% of what McCaffery does which is still very impressive.

But I get it, Henry is a totally different runner than cmc, the guy is just an animal and is the rare rb that gets stronger not only later in the game, but later in the season as well. Im not cooling off Cook either, hes not as physical as henry but hes a phenominal runner and a very capable pass catcher. Still think its CMC then Henry/Cook though.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

Bro we get it, you hate kamara. I ain’t here to argue about who the best HB is.

No I dont hate Kamara, i just dont think he has an argument to being the best. And now we have two people that says that he does but refuse to make it. Im open minded if someone could make a statistical, logic based argument for him being the best... I just dont think that exists... which may be why your hesitant to try and make one?