Is Alvin Kamara the best Running Back in the NFL? (Part 2)

1 hour ago, Breesus mode said:

If only somebody had invented a way for the football to go forward through the air, if only a running back was an important part of that

Yeah... when you're getting close to 3,000 yards on the ground, it doesn't really matter if you catch passes or not.

Henry is a much better runner than Kamara. Kamara is a much better receiver than Henry. I'd say the gap between Henry > Kamara as a runner is equal to Kamara > Henry as a receiver.

55 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Yeah... when you're getting close to 3,000 yards on the ground, it doesn't really matter if you catch passes or not.

Henry is a much better runner than Kamara. Kamara is a much better receiver than Henry. I'd say the gap between Henry > Kamara as a runner is equal to Kamara > Henry as a receiver.

The best running back isn't judge purely by running ability, which was my point.

7 minutes ago, Breesus mode said:

The best running back isn't judge purely by running ability, which was my point.

And I'm OK with that - but ignoring Henry because he doesn't catch the ball much isn't exactly the best judgment either.

9 hours ago, ET80 said:

I see what your saying...but the gap between Kamara and Henry as receivers is pretty much the Grand Canyon. Kamara is one of the best receiving backs in NFL history, whereas Henry is a below average receiving RB. Kamara is also a very good runner...one of the best in the NFL. He’s not Henry, but surely he is much closer to Henry as a runner than Henry is as a receiver. 

1 hour ago, sammymvpknight said:

He’s not Henry, but surely he is much closer to Henry as a runner than Henry is as a receiver. 

I don't know if I believe this - Henry is on an Eric Dickerson/Adrian Peterson level, he's making 90+ yard runs look easy. 

I think you're underselling Henry as a runner - he's going between the Ts and is in the secondary within two steps and then pulling away like a Lamborghini. Perhaps it's recency bias (given how he's decimated the Texans for 400+ yards in the last two games) but I think the fact he's got three of the six 200+ yard rushing games since 2018 illustrated my point.

Kamara is good, very good. Henry is another level.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, ET80 said:

I don't know if I believe this - Henry is on an Eric Dickerson/Adrian Peterson level, he's making 90+ yard runs look easy. 

I think you're underselling Henry as a runner - he's going between the Ts and is in the secondary within two steps and then pulling away like a Lamborghini. Perhaps it's recency bias (given how he's decimated the Texans for 400+ yards in the last two games) but I think the fact he's got three of the six 200+ yard rushing games since 2018 illustrated my point.

Kamara is good, very good. Henry is another level.

I acknowledge that Henry is an elite runner...but Kamara is a very good runner. Kamara is an elite receiver...Henry is not a very good receiver or anywhere close to it

20 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

I acknowledge that Henry is an elite runner...but Kamara is a very good runner. Kamara is an elite receiver...Henry is not a very good receiver or anywhere close to it

And I'd say the gap between Henry as a runner and Kamara as a runner is about as big as Kamara and Henry as a receiver. I'll stand by that, Henry is running the ball like nobody else since Dickerson or Prime Peterson. 

Kamara isn't ragdolling LBs and S like Henry is, he's not pulling away from defendera like Henry is in the open field, he's not piling up chunk yardage between the Ts like Henry, he's not breaking tackles like Henry is. It's not a knock on Kamara, it's just admitting that a 6' 4" 250 LB who plays with excellent vision, 4.3 speed and the most disrespectful stiff arm since Ladanian Tomlinson isn't exactly something we'll get to see that often, and isn't something you can replicate.

Henry is making grown men look like children on a weekly basis...

29 minutes ago, ET80 said:

And I'd say the gap between Henry as a runner and Kamara as a runner is about as big as Kamara and Henry as a receiver. I'll stand by that, Henry is running the ball like nobody else since Dickerson or Prime Peterson. 

Kamara isn't ragdolling LBs and S like Henry is, he's not pulling away from defendera like Henry is in the open field, he's not piling up chunk yardage between the Ts like Henry, he's not breaking tackles like Henry is. It's not a knock on Kamara, it's just admitting that a 6' 4" 250 LB who plays with excellent vision and 4.3 speed isn't exactly something we'll get to see that often, and isn't something you can replicate.

So Kamara is a below average runner? Because that is what he would have to be for Henry to make up the difference as receivers. Kamara regularly is among the league leaders in broken tackles. He doesn’t rag doll people, but neither did Barry Sanders. Henry has two 20+ rushed this season...and that’s with a league leading 140+ carries. You’re being a little bit dramatic pretending that he’s routinely break 90 yard TDs. He’s rushing for 4.6 yards per carry behind a good OL. Henry is a phenomenal runner, but there is no question that his bulk helps considerably. And he’s pretty much a zero at receiving. He not THAT much better than everyone at running the bell that he can lap the field while being a zero in the receiving department. 

Edited by sammymvpknight

Just a quick side note. I think Derrick Henry may have a legit chance to get 2000 yards this season. He’s already on pace +1700 yards and he gets stronger as the season goes.

Then you look at who he goes against in December(a Jags team he has historically owned, a bad Lions D, GB in cold Lambeau and a woeful Texans run defense) and I think he may have a chance, barring health of course.

7 games into the season and Kamara is averaging 141 yards from scrimmage per game and 1 touchdown per game. If he maintains this he would be on pace for 

2,256 yards from scrimmage and 16 touchdowns. Definitely in the conversation for best RB in the NFL right now