Matthew Stafford Deserves Our Appreciation

TL-TwoWinsAway

Tidbit from the Arizona game:

-- Matthew Stafford’s touchdown passes to Golladay and James puts him at 261 TDs for his career. That moves him into a tie with Dave Krieg for 18th on the all-time list. Next up on that list: The great Joe Montana, just two away. Stafford finished 22 of 31 passing for 270 yards, two touchdowns, no picks and a season-high passer rating of 119.0.

This guy has been a great player for a long time.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Tidbit from the Arizona game:

-- Matthew Stafford’s touchdown passes to Golladay and James puts him at 261 TDs for his career. That moves him into a tie with Dave Krieg for 18th on the all-time list. Next up on that list: The great Joe Montana, just two away. Stafford finished 22 of 31 passing for 270 yards, two touchdowns, no picks and a season-high passer rating of 119.0.

This guy has been a great player for a long time.

I agree. Stafford has been a steady, competitive QB his entire career. I wasn’t sold on him when he was drafted. His lack of touch early on was a great concern. But my oh my I’ve enjoyed watching him play. 

Probably a good chance this will be his last year in Detroit. Obviously that’s just my speculation but given the state of the team this season could result in a complete rebuild.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, diehardlionfan said:

I agree. Stafford has been a steady, competitive QB his entire career. I wasn’t sold on him when he was drafted. His lack of touch early on was a great concern. But my oh my I’ve enjoyed watching him play. 

Probably a good chance this will be his last year in Detroit. Obviously that’s just my speculation but given the state of the team this season could result in a complete rebuild.

I think that future is murky and that this weekend is going to clear up a lot of that. This Saints game is going to be a defining one for the franchise. If we go into the bye at 2-2 then Patricia's hot seat is going to get a lot cooler and there will be some positive momentum to take into the break. If we lose then there will have to be some thoughts about the rest of the season and what to do with someone like Stafford. He's at the age where he should be competing on a team that has pieces and is a QB away from really being able to push for a playoff spot.

If that team isn't the Lions then a trade elsewhere would make the most sense on both sides. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, MortexLion said:

The guy deserves better period.. It would be hard to watch him get traded though.

His cap hit next year looks pretty big if I am reading this correctly. But the following year it is quite reasonable. If they were to fall flat this season and get a high pick I can see them taking Justin Fields in prep for Stafford leaving in a couple years, or possibly Trey Lance if that guy proves worthy of a first round pick.

15 hours ago, Typical_Lions said:

His cap hit next year looks pretty big if I am reading this correctly. But the following year it is quite reasonable. If they were to fall flat this season and get a high pick I can see them taking Justin Fields in prep for Stafford leaving in a couple years, or possibly Trey Lance if that guy proves worthy of a first round pick.

If Stafford is traded this year, it breaks down as:

- 2020: $13M Dead Cap/ $8.3M New Cap Space

- 2021: $13 M Dead Cap/$20M New Cap Space

- 2022: $3M Dead Cap/$23M New Cap Space

- 2023: $3M Dead Cap/$0 New Cap Space

A great QB, or even very good, or even notably above average, never makes a throw as bad as Stafford made today on that end zone pick. Or if they did, it's a couple of times a season or less. Stafford seems to do it once a game at the bare minimum.

I've watched him as long as any of you. I used to think he'd be better with some other team but I don't believe that now.

2 minutes ago, Superduperman said:

A great QB, or even very good, or even notably above average, never makes a throw as bad as Stafford made today on that end zone pick. Or if they did, it's a couple of times a season or less. Stafford seems to do it once a game at the bare minimum.

A statement that justifies the existence of this thread.