Should the Texans and Vikings panic?

patriotsheatyan

32 minutes ago, August4th said:

dolphins have the texans 1st rd pick, I would be so mad if I was a texans fan, they can't even think about the draft this season

Yup.

First AND second. Don't forget they have the 2nd round pick as well.

On 9/28/2020 at 6:07 PM, ET80 said:

I personally can't shake the feeling that BoB and the rest of the coaching staff is talking to a brick wall at this point. The message is lost right now... whatever that message is.

Regardless of opponent, the Texans aren't listening to BoB and company. The body language, the lack of urgency - they are not responding.

I mean, at this point if you're a potential GM candidate do you even take interviews with Houston?  Right now, it's Deshaun Watson and let me check...not much.  You're going into the draft with only ONE pick in the top 100 picks, and that's not coming until that 65-85 range at best.  In terms of young talent, the Texans have what exactly?

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I mean, at this point if you're a potential GM candidate do you even take interviews with Houston?  Right now, it's Deshaun Watson and let me check...not much.  You're going into the draft with only ONE pick in the top 100 picks, and that's not coming until that 65-85 range at best.  In terms of young talent, the Texans have what exactly?

...are they not having a 2022 draft or something?

If you're basing a career decision on a single draft class, you're probably not interviewing for many open positions. 

Any management position - not even Football, not even sports for that matter - you create a five year roadmap and you adhere through that. This should be no different, you're not basing it on one year with no premium picks.

Y1 is lean, sure - you have a QB and a LT (which are two cornerstones to any franchise) and you don't have much after that (Justin Reid is worth it at S). But you're not making or breaking your entire career off of one year, you're clearing up cap and personnel and building up the bigger pieces for every year afterwards.

Just now, ET80 said:

...are they not having a 2022 draft or something?

If you're basing a career decision on a single draft class, you're probably not interviewing for many open positions. 

Any management position - not even Football, not even sports for that matter - you create a five year roadmap and you adhere through that.

Y1 is lean, sure - you have a QB and a LT and you don't have much after that (Justin Reid is worth it at S). But you're not making or breaking your entire career off of one year, you're clearing up cap and personnel and building up the bigger pieces for every year afterwards.

I mean, you're essentially punting on the '21 season unless you think Watson can lead you to some victories.  You're essentially coming into your job without much ammunition to improve your roster, so you're starting off on the wrong foot.  I'm not very well versed on the Texans' cap situation next year, but OTC has them already in the red.

8 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I think its a good time to target an internal candidate that you are really high on, because if the cap goes way down, that won't do them any favors either (Texans are above a projected cap of 175M next season, would have to even it out through roll over). But there will always be guys who interview and want it just because they want to take their shot. I think you may not get a super stud gm candidate, but there will be plenty of guys who would clamor for their shot. 

10 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I mean, you're essentially punting on the '21 season unless you think Watson can lead you to some victories

That's EXACTLY the case. '21 was punted on a while ago.

10 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I'm not very well versed on the Texans' cap situation next year, but OTC has them already in the red.

Majority of that money can be managed by releasing guys such as David Johnson, Brandin Cooks, Eric Murray, Whitney Mercilius and restructuring guys such as Bernardrick McKinney. The money has always been fungable, it's Monopoly money out there.

All a GM needs to see is how long guys such as Rick Smith, Charlie Casserly and O'Brien were given to execute their vision - 5+ years for each, even with disasterous results. Save for Brian Gaine (who was fired by BoB, not the McNair family) pretty much everyone in a high position in the Texans organization is going to get a minimum of 5 years to get things going. And, you start off with two of the hardest positions - QB and LT - already handled.

Working for this team is immediate job security, you're not getting fired in three years like other teams operate. You'll have a QB, you have a LT, so go from there...

3 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

Does anyone think the Texans would have won today if BoB hadn't been BoB and traded away DeAndre Hopkins for a bag of chips in the offseason?  There is no doubt in my mind that they would have.

I could see 2-2 right now. The Steelers game and the Vikings games are completely different with Nuk in the lineup.

• Like 1