2020 Week #7 GDT Steelers at Titans

Steeler Hitman

Anyone see Bens press conference?

Basically said to anyone complaining about “competitive disadvantage” for the Titans because of a lack of practice “tough [crap]” because the same courtesy wouldn’t be extended the other way. 

He dragged the Titans pretty good:

Edited by warfelg

I hate the decision to cancel the game versus the Titans, but I also understand it. They said that they expanded the rosters and practice squad for this. Does it pose a competitive advantage to one team. Yes. But the show essentially should still go on. Unfortunately, it seems that the Steelers get penalized with having to alter their schedule to accommodate the situation. Realistically, no one wants to get infected. Unfortunately the NFL is not played in a bubble like NBA. It would be extremely difficult to do this anyways. Some teams would have to leave the bubble to travel to other cities, etc. because most cities don't have 2 let alone 16 stadiums with NFL level accommodations. Not too mention, are the Steelers really getting a bye after going through half the week planning to play a game only to find out when you are preparing for work Thursday, never mind the game is called?

I believe the fear is the incubation period of this disease. While many players and staff can be tested and they test don't positive today, it does not necessarily mean that they are not infected. This is most likely what happened with the Titans vs. Minnesota. The players were tested during the week and prior to the game and showed no symptoms or signs of the virus. They played came in contact with one another and at some point, the virus rears its ugly head and someone else is contaminated and they don't know it. That is just the reality of these unfortunate times during a pandemic. I don't like it but understand.

Since the incubation period can be up to 14 days, I am sure the NFL is afraid of possibly infecting another team and then they infect another team and more and more players get infected and infect others without even knowing. What is crazy is nothing from Minnesota thus far. What about them?

Some things to consider moving forward:

Tough road stretch will hit the team with 4 of 5 games on the road mid-season.

If the team changes the Ravens-Steelers game to week 8

The Steelers and Titans would play the Titans bye week of week 7

@ Tennessee wk 7

@ Baltimore wk 8

@ Dallas wk 9

vs Cincinnati wk 10

@ Jacksonville wk 11 

The Steelers will need to play smart and try to win their next two games especially with a brutal schedule like that.

vs Philadelphia wk 5

vs Cleveland wk 6 

All this said, I hate consolation prizes,  but why not have Tennessee forfeit?  They either play or if it is not safe enough to play, then they take a L. You want to play, you want to compete, you want to earn your w or L, but this now puts Pittsburgh at a competitive disadvantage and altering of their schedule/windows, etc. What happens if this happens with another opponent? 

NFL should add a week 18 and have any postponed games played on that week. so right now it would just be steelers vs titans and maybe others(although this might not work since steelers or Titans could lose another game do to another outbreak). this is something they should of already planned out smh

1 minute ago, August4th said:

NFL should add a week 18 and have any postponed games played on that week. so right now it would just be steelers vs titans and maybe others(although this might not work since steelers or Titans could lose another game do to another outbreak). this is something they should of already planned out smh

It’s just a mess, it was always going to be a mess when they went with the traditional bye schedule. It’s not just Steelers/Titans, byes officially start next week. By Week 8, half the league is going to have no back up option if there’s another postponement. It was crazy to just schedule this like it was going to function as a standard, 17-week season with no contingencies in place.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

It’s just a mess, it was always going to be a mess when they went with the traditional bye schedule. It’s not just Steelers/Titans, byes officially start next week. By Week 8, half the league is going to have no back up option if there’s another postponement. It was crazy to just schedule this like it was going to function as a standard, 17-week season with no contingencies in place.

have no idea why they did not give themselves scheduling flexibility. they had months to plan this out. Games will end up being cancelled if a outbreak happens a month from now and those games could end up being really important for playoff seeding/division standings

2 minutes ago, August4th said:

have no idea why they did not give themselves scheduling flexibility. they had months to plan this out. Games will end up being cancelled if a outbreak happens a month from now and those games could end up being really important for playoff seeding/division standings

Or, as you said, they’ll add a Week 18. Which is fine, but also has the potential to give a team with a first-round bye three full weeks off, which is just a ton of time between games.

34 minutes ago, Steeler Hitman said:

but why not have Tennessee forfeit?  They either play or if it is not safe enough to play, then they take a L. You want to play, you want to compete, you want to earn your w or L, but this now puts Pittsburgh at a competitive disadvantage and altering of their schedule/windows, etc.

I really do not like the idea of forfeit, but there needs to be SOME form of punishment in my mind for the Titans. When you look around this league and the NBA - you really do not see wide spread cases. I understand the bubble, but it comes down to guys doing what they are supposed to be doing correctly and safely. Even the MLB -- they had small breakouts, but they all stem from guys NOT doing what they should be doing. 

So to me, this is most likely a case of the Titans NOT following the precautions and mandates that were set up for this season. Because of that, its going to cost another team a scheduling fiasco and potential loss of an advantageous scheduled bye. 

It can obviously just be a random occurrence, but based on all other leagues happening it seems like if you do what you should be doing -- we will be okay. Just seems like someone -- either players themselves or the Titans - dropped the ball and now here we are. 

• Like 1