So it begins, do the Bears draft a 1st round QB in 2021?

dafreak

18 hours ago, WindyCity said:

You are better off taking a 1st round OG than you are a RB if you want a good run game 

OL makes RBs and QBs make WRs.   Get good players in former and latter will look good.  

Not to say that there aren’t great RBs and WRs.  

• Like 2

OL over running backs all day. I also think Dak can easily hit FA, if he was worth that much to the Cowboys he would have had a signed contract. 5,000 yard passers have been let go (see Cutler from Denver). The problem is he is in the Matt Ryan level of QB play. Good, but not good enough to elevate everyone around them.

He would easily be our best option for QB and with our defense we would have a shot, however, we would need luck and everything to come together perfectly. He will never give us a consistent advantage year in and year out. The reality is those players are impossible to find. 

1) Russell Wilson

2) Aaron Rogers 

3) Pat Mahomes

Anyone else? Odds of us finding a player of this caliber?

37 minutes ago, Nads786 said:

OL over running backs all day. I also think Dak can easily hit FA, if he was worth that much to the Cowboys he would have had a signed contract. 5,000 yard passers have been let go (see Cutler from Denver). The problem is he is in the Matt Ryan level of QB play. Good, but not good enough to elevate everyone around them.

He would easily be our best option for QB and with our defense we would have a shot, however, we would need luck and everything to come together perfectly. He will never give us a consistent advantage year in and year out. The reality is those players are impossible to find. 

1) Russell Wilson

2) Aaron Rogers 

3) Pat Mahomes

Right now just those 3, but Brees, Brady and even Roethlisberger were quite good years back.   Josh Allen gets a lot of hate for some reason since before draft, but I have said all along he is a uber talented dude.   Maybe people don't want to ever say they were wrong.  Be interesting to see if he keeps improving.  

It is hard to find those guys, why you can be trapped in middle Earth for a decade over paying a 2nd tier guy.   Better to keep swinging at potential and hope you hit than to over pay a guy who is just a guy.

Bears paying Dak 38 Million+  a year for many guaranteed years would be mistake of epic proportions.

I may have to start looking for another team to root for as it will be Jay Cutler part II and another decade of winning division once and losing early in playoffs and winning just enough to be outside top 5 of every draft.

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

Right now just those 3, but Brees, Brady and even Roethlisberger were quite good years back.   Josh Allen gets a lot of hate for some reason since before draft, but I have said all along he is a uber talented dude.   Maybe people don't want to ever say they were wrong.  Be interesting to see if he keeps improving.  

It is hard to find those guys, why you can be trapped in middle Earth for a decade over paying a 2nd tier guy.   Better to keep swinging at potential and hope you hit than to over pay a guy who is just a guy.

I thought Josh Allen was going to suck because he has zero touch on his passes and not very intelligent.  I was so wrong on him, but happy for Bills fans. Hopefully they can run that division for a while. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Nads786 said:

1) Russell Wilson

2) Aaron Rogers 

3) Pat Mahomes

I'm kind of of the thought that if you fail to have a top 10 QB then you don't bother giving them a monster contract. You can stack the talent around them while they are on rookie deals, and should be drafting a QB at least every other year (not in the first exclusively of course). Maybe give the 5th year option but either find a QB that warrants a big deal or move on. You can't be scared to advance without a player because they produce at an "acceptable" level at the QB position. 

My issue is that over his time with Nagy, Tru has gotten worse. Confidence dropped, deep accuracy became worse, mechanics never became more consistent, and ball placement got worse. Can Nagy develop a QB? Or did he ride Reid's coattails on Mahomes and Smith? I don't believe he can do that or properly install an offense. Right now we are the 26th scoring offense in the league (a step up from 29th I guess). IDC if we go 12-4 and make a postseason run, if that trend doesn't make a stark improvement over the last 3/4 of the season then I would be happy to see him fired. He has lived off the defense of Fangio and Pagano for too long, and if he can't make an offense then he is a limiting factor of the team. 

Right now I'm on the train for Greg Roman as the HC and James Urban for the OC job. They've done a wonderful job with Jackson. I'd get them and trade the farm to get Fields or make sure to snag Lance or Newman if they want to continue using athletic QBs that can alter the launch point against defenders. Doubling down on this with Ehlinger in the 5th or D'Eriq King in the 6th or 7th wouldn't upset me either.  Trask is a more polished passer mechanically than either of them so if they want a pocket passer he would be a decent option too. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sugashane said:

I'm kind of of the thought that if you fail to have a top 10 QB then you don't bother giving them a monster contract. You can stack the talent around them while they are on rookie deals, and should be drafting a QB at least every other year (not in the first exclusively of course). Maybe give the 5th year option but either find a QB that warrants a big deal or move on. You can't be scared to advance without a player because they produce at an "acceptable" level at the QB position. 

My issue is that over his time with Nagy, Tru has gotten worse. Confidence dropped, deep accuracy became worse, mechanics never became more consistent, and ball placement got worse. Can Nagy develop a QB? Or did he ride Reid's coattails on Mahomes and Smith? I don't believe he can do that or properly install an offense. Right now we are the 26th scoring offense in the league (a step up from 29th I guess). IDC if we go 12-4 and make a postseason run, if that trend doesn't make a stark improvement over the last 3/4 of the season then I would be happy to see him fired. He has lived off the defense of Fangio and Pagano for too long, and if he can't make an offense then he is a limiting factor of the team. 

Right now I'm on the train for Greg Roman as the HC and James Urban for the OC job. They've done a wonderful job with Jackson. I'd get them and trade the farm to get Fields or make sure to snag Lance or Newman if they want to continue using athletic QBs that can alter the launch point against defenders. Doubling down on this with Ehlinger in the 5th or D'Eriq King in the 6th or 7th wouldn't upset me either.  Trask is a more polished passer mechanically than either of them so if they want a pocket passer he would be a decent option too. 

D'Eriq King is awful. I like the Ehlinger idea. The rest of your post is good

• Like 1

4 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

D'Eriq King is awful. I like the Ehlinger idea. The rest of your post is good

To clarify - For a 6th or 7th he is a scout team player to help the defense prepare for Wilson, Jackson, Newton, etc. I agree he sucks and do not want him playing.  I just don't know of any equally athletic QBs that will be 7th or undrafted.  

I might be overpaying in draft capital for that,  looking back at that post. 

23 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Bears paying Dak 38 Million+  a year for many guaranteed years would be mistake of epic proportions.

I may have to start looking for another team to root for as it will be Jay Cutler part II and another decade of winning division once and losing early in playoffs and winning just enough to be outside top 5 of every draft.

I like Dak as a person and think he's a solid football player (not elite tho) but I agree that he will cost way too much of what the Bears can afford to pay and it probably wouldn't be a prudent move under this regime.  

Judging by Jerry and Stephen Jones' comments, it also doesn't appear as if Dak will be going anywhere and will remain a Cowboy.  At minimum I see him being tagged again.

We gotta get used to the idea that Foles will be here for at least another year unless he opts out of his contract after this season and demands a hefty raise.

Edited by topwop1

9 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

Lance could be available?   Hopefully enough GMs see his experience as a Trubisky-level caution flag. 

Trask is cool but when I was starting to identify his traits I came up with.... Nick Foles

Zach Wilson and Mac Jones I'm going to check out, thanks!

Trask is Foles with better mobility and arm.

They both win the same way with intelligence and timing.