So it begins, do the Bears draft a 1st round QB in 2021?

dafreak

7 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

What's the Canadian word for dramamine then?

If Nagy and Pace are both still in charge next year, I think it's a lot more likely than not that they make a big QB move. I'd be a lot happier taking a roll of the dice on a 1-2rd QB than I would trading for next years Nick Foles. Even if Foles does well this year, they are still staring at the strength of the team being an aging defense, so they better take another swing at getting a QB who can hold his own and be around for years. 

We do not need Pace to pick the next QB.

Keep Nagy and let him do it.

If Nagy is going to take the lead on the most important decision in the franchise then empower him and find a personnel guy to work with him, or promote from within, I do not care. 

Edited by WindyCity

Pace had Fox with him to scout MT.  He didn't tell Fox he was drafting him, but I believe he got his seal of approval on him as a prospect.   I think Fox was onboard with Glennon too and had input into that choice.   

I don't think Pace would select any QB without Nagy's blessing and agreement.   Nagy and Pace are tied at the hip at this point.  Their fates are intertwined.  At least with Bears.    They are NagyPace.   

I believe Nagy had a ton of input on bringing in Foles as well.

I don't think Pace clears all his draft choices with Nagy, but I do think Nagy gets a lot of say and I think any QB would require Nagy's agreement.  

Educated speculation, but I think Kmet was a lot of Nagy.  Mostly Nagy if I was a betting man.

They were pretty open that Mooney was a coaching staff choice.  Or at least they pounded table for him.   Pace said the O Line coach, forgetting his name, was big on pushing to bring in Ifedi.  

I think Pace works closely with the staff on what guys get brought in.  

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

If Nagy is going to take the lead on the most important decision in the franchise then empower him and find a personnel guy to work with him, or promote from within, I do not care. 

Are you proposing some sort of "Matt O'Nagy" GM/Coach position?  If so, we can get the QB right, and then trade Allen Robinson away for Jordan Howard or something.

Kidding aside, Pace picked Trubisky. I'd be stunned if Nagy didn't get a significant choice in Trey Lance. 

58 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Or how about they just keep Pace and let Nagy have more influence on who the next drafted QB is?  Makes the most sense, especially if this team is a playoff team this season.

Pace just led the Bears through a rebuild and total restructuring of Halas Hall, and you think they will fire him but keep Nagy? lol

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Or how about they just keep Pace and let Nagy have more influence on who the next drafted QB is?  Makes the most sense, especially if this team is a playoff team this season.

Pace just led the Bears through a rebuild and total restructuring of Halas Hall, and you think they will fire him but keep Nagy? lol

I do not think they will fire him.

He is a mediocre GM. I do not see why we should keep him.

45 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

Are you proposing some sort of "Matt O'Nagy" GM/Coach position?  If so, we can get the QB right, and then trade Allen Robinson away for Jordan Howard or something.

Kidding aside, Pace picked Trubisky. I'd be stunned if Nagy didn't get a significant choice in Trey Lance. 

Bill O'Brien is one bad scenario.

There are plenty of coaches in the NFL that are more powerful in the organization than there GMs that are successful.

In my world Nagy is better at his job than Pace is at his.

6 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Bill O'Brien is one bad scenario.

There are plenty of coaches in the NFL that are more powerful in the organization than there GMs that are successful.

In my world Nagy is better at his job than Pace is at his.

I guess I'm on your page. I expect Nagy to be around, and yes I very much think he should have as much if not more say into the next QB than Pace. Ideally they'd have a plan for guys worth trading up for, guys that can't be passed on, and guys to keep an eye on in case they fall.  Nagy makes the list, Pace executes it on draft day. 

Pace is one Mitchell away from being viewed as an outstanding GM.  I understand he has his Ray McDonald and that awful DB that stopped before the end zone, but there isn't a GM out there that doesn't have that baggage. 

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

I do not think they will fire him.

He is a mediocre GM. I do not see why we should keep him.

Because of one glaring error?  If Pace take Mahomes over Mitch you are saying he is a great GM...let's be real.

I'm not saying Pace won't deserve to be fired at the end of this season, but I just don't think you can make a case for keeping Nagy if that happens.  To me they are a package.

If Pace is fired it would likely be either the team missing the playoffs or completely blowing up by the end of this season. Nagy will deserve a heck of a lot of fault too if that happens.

32 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Because of one glaring error?  If Pace take Mahomes over Mitch you are saying he is a great GM...let's be real.

I'm not saying Pace won't deserve to be fired at the end of this season, but I just don't think you can make a case for keeping Nagy if that happens.  To me they are a package.

If Pace is fired it would likely be either the team missing the playoffs or completely blowing up by the end of this season. Nagy will deserve a heck of a lot of fault too if that happens.

It's the biggest mistake you can make. The Texans are run like pure garbage, but they have a franchise QB and a quick firing and minor retooling will bring them back into the playoffs. We need to basically hit on every single pick and still need to pray for the playoffs because we don't have a QB.

The guy that quoted the Ravens as an example of consistent success without elite QB play - have you seen the drafting of Ozzie? It's HOF level talent and HOF GMing. It's the rarest of exceptions and much harder than swinging at QBs consistently. 

Yup.  Looks like were headed back into the QB crap shoot pool again.

However, this time we have Nagy, Lazor, and "Flip" on board looking over the prospects and suspects and I'm thinking the pick will be far more about a "fit" for the scheme itself than just the best arm, most athletic, most accurate, etc.  Unless all of them can agree on a pick who can convert whatever skills he's shown in college to those skills he'll need in this offense as a pro cross his name off the list. No more Mitchell Trubisky type picks.

There is still a chance Mitch might be good someday but not in this offense.  I hate to admit it but I do believe that for us it's time to move on.

What would really help is for Nick Foles to have finally reached that point in his pro career where he can prove he's more than just a capable reliever.  There have been those QBs who have matured into consistent winners in their 30s and won there 1st SB.  He already has a ring and he stole it from Belichick and Brady so we know that game isn't too big for him.  There's a chance that with this team and coaching staff he can become more consistent than he's ever been before.

So while shopping for QBs I wouldn't rule out taking a top OT either should one fall in our laps.  The higher we finish the less likely it becomes for us to get the pick of the litter at any position but I have a better feeling now that Nagy and his staff know what they're looking for which makes me feel more positive that they'll find it.

3 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Pace had Fox with him to scout MT.  He didn't tell Fox he was drafting him, but I believe he got his seal of approval on him as a prospect.   I think Fox was onboard with Glennon too and had input into that choice.   

By then Fox was so far gone with his mind on simply getting paid and then moving on to a TV gig IMHO he'd have OK'd  Bowlegged Billy Bumphuc for a QB.  In Fox offense as long as a QB could take a snap and hand off to a RB he was good with him and even more so is the QB could run himself.  He loved Tebow.

Just now, soulman said:

By then Fox was so far gone with his mind on simply getting paid and then moving on to a TV gig IMHO he'd have OK'd  Bowlegged Billy Bumphuc for a QB.  In Fox offense as long as a QB could take a snap and hand off to a RB he was good with him and even more so is the QB could run himself.  He loved Tebow.

He hated Tebow.  So did Elway.  They didn't want to win with a 'college offense.'  

Funny thing is half the league adopted college plays about 4 years later when Andy Reid adapted Chip Kelly's offense to his own West Coast offense.  

Tebow might have made it had he entered league at a different time with a coach willing to coach to his style of play like Lamar Jackson got, but I doubt he would have ever been great or even good.  He lacked downfield accuracy, but its worth noting that he isn't any worse than Lamar Jackson at downfield accuracy.  But Jackson is a far more gifted runner.  And Jackson looks exposed if he has to play from behind.  

It was public that loved Tebow.

2 hours ago, topwop1 said:

One catastrophic mistake at the most important position added to the regular GM mistakes.

If he had picked Mahomes we would likely have a Super Bowl or at least be competing every year, so yeah, that is kind of a big issue.

If I'm not mistaken, Fox wanted Soloman Thomas but if it was a QB he and Ragone wanted Watson.

Pace wouldn't tell him anything because Fox is a notorious blabber-mouth.

Regardless, Trubisky failing is on Pace 110%. That being said, I would let him work with Nagy to identify a young signal caller because I think Pace has done a fine job with the rest of the roster.

11 minutes ago, G08 said:

If I'm not mistaken, Fox wanted Soloman Thomas but if it was a QB he and Ragone wanted Watson.

Pace wouldn't tell him anything because Fox is a notorious blabber-mouth.

Regardless, Trubisky failing is on Pace 110%. That being said, I would let him work with Nagy to identify a young signal caller because I think Pace has done a fine job with the rest of the roster.

If the offense shows up now that the QB is changed I can get behind that thinking.