So it begins, do the Bears draft a 1st round QB in 2021?

dafreak

2 hours ago, WindyCity said:

If we are taking a QB we are committing at a minimum Nagy being here for a couple of more years so we do not re-Trubisky him.

We should be aggressive if that is the case and try and land the QB that we want.

I agree but this is where optics come into play. Does Pace have the balls to trade up for "his QB" again? Spectacular fail with Trubisky, might be a tought pill to swallow for him. Then again #synergy if Nagy and Pace fall in love with a kid.

15 minutes ago, G08 said:

I agree but this is where optics come into play. Does Pace have the balls to trade up for "his QB" again? Spectacular fail with Trubisky, might be a tought pill to swallow for him. Then again #synergy if Nagy and Pace fall in love with a kid.

I've actually got the opposite concern. I fully expect him to make a move to get a QB this year, specifically because I think he's going to draft desperate/to try and save his job...

But, if he forces a pick and overdrafts a bum because he feels compelled to get a QB, that will be catastrophic to the team going forward...... and doubly so if we end up trading up significant resources to do so.

I'd add that predicting our final draft position right now is incredibly tough..... If Foles and the O-Line can scrape together even passable efforts, we could easily be in the top 4 picks (EDIT for clarity, I'm saying the final 4 picks of the first round)..... On the other hand, if they never take that next step, and the offense gets continually exposed to where we can't edge out these super close games (because we're actually playing good teams, or because said good teams aren't missing their best players like they have been literally every single game so far this season), we could be picking at like 15th.   The former basically requires a first round pick on QB to secure a 5th year option, while the latter could potentially let us get OT help in the first, then come back into the back of the 1st for a QB later.... or even open up a larger trade up to secure a top 10 qb pick.

Edited by Epyon

11 minutes ago, G08 said:

If they are taking a QB they have to reasonably sure they have some time. I think they have to get a QB, I think the only option that cannot happen is the ride or die with Foles option. Fans won't stand for that.

I think if the QB run starts you need to get your guy, even if it is a short trade up.

I do not love the idea of flipping future picks, but for a QB we probably need to live with it, because really nothing else matters until we get one, we are treading water.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

My QB Tiers

Have all my picks: Lawrence, Fields

Would make a real move [22-10ish]: Wilson, Lance

Small Move to secure: Jones

Stay: Trask

I agree about Lawrence and Fields - those two are gonna be studs

I'm starting to really fall in love with Wilson, and think he would be available in our range or with a small trade up, depending on where we finish this year.

I really don't want Lance. I know he has talent, but his lack of exp is alarming. To me, Wilson > Lance and I would let another team take a chance on Lance.

Jones is really intriguing. He has a beautiful deep ball. Is he available in the 2nd, or will the QB love push him into the 1st? If he tests well and shows that he can process what's happening around him, I wouldn't hate giving him a shot at the back end of the 1st.

I don't want Trask either. I think he's more athlete/thrower than a QB/passer. No thanks

You guys make a lot of good points that the decision on how to draft a QB is absolutely FRAIGHT for Pace, but the one guy that I think acts as a multiplier for that would be Lance. Both in terms of fan/media/ownership scrutiny and probably in terms of internal second-guessing, all due to his similarities to Trubisky.

9 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

My QB Tiers

Have all my picks: Lawrence, Fields

Would make a real move [22-10ish]: Wilson, Lance

Small Move to secure: Jones

Stay: Trask

Right now I've got it (by where I think they SHOULD be picked, not where they will be picked) EDIT: Adding a comparison player I liken them to

#1 Lawrence  (Andrew Luck)

----- big gap-----

#10-15 Wilson   (a bit of a cross between Matt Ryan and Matt Stafford. He plays like a less talented Stafford, but throws a smooth ball like Matt Ryan)

#20-32 Lance/Fields  (Lance basically is Cam Newton. That also isn't a compliment and I don't think we can revamp the OL enough to run a scheme for him to succeed) (Fields I would say somewhere between Trubisky and Herbert.....I'd add I wasn't huge on either of those guys coming out, even if Herbert has proven me wrong so far)

I will say, that's without seeing this most recent game of Fields, where he apparently had a phenomenal game. Maybe that one will sell me on him.

Edited by Epyon

15 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

I'm starting to really fall in love with Wilson, and think he would be available in our range or with a small trade up, depending on where we finish this year.

I just am such a sucker for an athletic QB that has the talent and wherewithal to throw from different platforms accurately. Wilson reminds me of Rodgers *in a sense*. I'd take him in the first round and not even blink. Let him sit for a year or two and hone his craft.

17 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

I wonder how many front offices considering Lance will use Mitch as a cautionary tale when discussing his experience level

What are the rules for a private workout? Can we bring like 13 other people for a 7 on 7 and actually test his ability to make throws /reads vs coverages? Because the mental side of the game is the biggest determining factor for these guys and arguably the largest reason Mitch has failed... Specifically in Mitch's case I think it was seeing it on the field, vs seeing it on paper. 

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

Lance terrifies me.

But there is a point where we have to get him. The talent is immense if we can get it to click.

Lance and Fields terrify me.

Lance is a one year wonder like mitch.  He is playing against far weaker competition than mitch did.  Throw in the cost for the bears to move up to draft lance and its a disaster waiting to happen. The risk is way to high with lance.  

As for Fields. He scares me because when has OSU ever produced a good NFL Pro.  I’m just not sold on OSU QB’s. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, 41st ward Chicagoian said:

Lance and Fields terrify me.

Lance is a one year wonder like mitch.  He is playing against far weaker competition than mitch did.  Throw in the cost for the bears to move up to draft lance and its a disaster waiting to happen. The risk is way to high with lance.  

As for Fields. He scares me because when has OSU ever produced a good NFL Pro.  I’m just not sold on OSU QB’s. 

Eventually that kind of stuff ends though. Schools who produce QB's have busts. Schools that usually don't produce QB's sometimes do. It's all a crap shoot. If they had a chance at Fields I'm definitely not going to worry about Dwayne Haskins' career so far and try to relate the two

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Epyon said:

I will say, that's without seeing this most recent game of Fields, where he apparently had a phenomenal game. Maybe that one will sell me on him.

Finally got around to watching his tape from this week, which on paper should statistically be the kind of game that sells you on the kid, instead it only reinforced that I want nothing to do with him. It reeks of Trubisky to me.. Way too eager to panic /ruin. He does have a prettier deep ball than Biscuit did, but I just don't know if the gazelle mentality can be beaten out of him.