So it begins, do the Bears draft a 1st round QB in 2021?

dafreak

11 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Remember when we were told he was better than Mitch? Good times. 

Fondly but I think there was a lot of sober skepticism here about whether he was or not. I think we all agreed he could operate Nagy's offense, but now we're seeing that it is not much of one, and may never be. 

This wasn't something I expected to be thinking, but if the offense can't contribute like this for more than a couple games, they're going to lose the team, and then it would for sure be time to ditch our FO and coaching staff. 

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

Nothing Ryan Pace did on offense this year made any sense.

-You give Jimmy Graham 9 million so he can waddle around the field and not block anyone and then spend a 2nd round pick on a kid who can catch and block that doesn't get to play.

-You bring in a statue of a QB with a crap OL.

What the hell sort of nonsense is that.

I didn't have an issue with signing Graham or drafting Kmet.  Its the lack of investment in the OL that is baffling to me.  They signed two journeymen OL in Ifedi and Spriggs and drafted practice squad talent in the 7th round.  Also looking at it now the 4th round investment in Nick Foles looks like a bad one considering he his offering no more added value than Trubisky at this point.

Aside from the Kmet, JJ and Mooney picks would have liked to see them invest better than that in the OL instead of trading up to draft a guy like Travis Gipson or DB Kindle Vildor both who have yet to see the field in 2020.

Keep in mind these moves are something Nagy had to be on board with.  Both gotta go if this thing doesn't get turned around soon.

33 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

Let’s not excuse the Montgomery pick either. They gave up draft capital to get him and he’s not stood out in any way to justify it.

Yeah...I'm not sure about Monty myself.

He runs hard and gives good effort, but even with the bad OL play I still see some weaknesses in his game.  He is not the quickest when moving laterally and he takes a while to get going.  I would like to see more suddenness in his game.

IMO this a problem area in general for the Bears O.  Simply put, they do not play overly fast as an offense. 

Aside from Cohen and perhaps Patterson they don't really have any guys that are good YAC or running with the ball in their hands. I even noticed this with Patterson the past few games. 

Edited by topwop1

5 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Nothing Ryan Pace did on offense this year made any sense.

-You give Jimmy Graham 9 million so he can waddle around the field and not block anyone and then spend a 2nd round pick on a kid who can catch and block that doesn't get to play.

-You bring in a statue of a QB with a crap OL.

What the hell sort of nonsense is that.

Don't forget signing Ted Ginn, albeit a small move. That was solid as hell!

4 hours ago, topwop1 said:

I didn't have an issue with signing Graham or drafting Kmet.  Its the lack of investment in the OL that is baffling to me.  They signed two journeymen OL in Ifedi and Spriggs and drafted practice squad talent in the 7th round.  Also looking at it now the 4th round investment in Nick Foles looks like a bad one considering he his offering no more added value than Trubisky at this point.

Aside from the Kmet, JJ and Mooney picks would have liked to see them invest better than that in the OL instead of trading up to draft a guy like Travis Gipson or DB Kindle Vildor both who have yet to see the field in 2020.

Keep in mind these moves are something Nagy had to be on board with.  Both gotta go if this thing doesn't get turned around soon.

But when a few of us ripped Pace during the draft for not selecting any OL, we were ripped, too. I cannot believe wanting my favorite team to always have young OL in the pipeline was criticized. Pardon me!

40 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

But when a few of us ripped Pace during the draft for not selecting any OL, we were ripped, too. I cannot believe wanting my favorite team to always have young OL in the pipeline was criticized. Pardon me!

Some of us were ahead of the Pace sucks thing.

We need to be gracious and welcoming as everyone else arrives to the party.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Did I rip you for that...I honestly don't remember but if I did my bad.

I'm always never quick to judge draft picks.  Like I mentioned before, I had no problems with the first 2 picks in Kmet and JJ and now obviously Mooney.

I think all 3 of those guys will be big contributors for this team for many years to come.

The thing I didn't really understand was going after more DBs and another pass rusher after signing Quinn and Mingo in FA.

2 hours ago, topwop1 said:

Did I rip you for that...I honestly don't remember but if I did my bad.

I'm always never quick to judge draft picks.  Like I mentioned before, I had no problems with the first 2 picks in Kmet and JJ and now obviously Mooney.

I think all 3 of those guys will be big contributors for this team for many years to come.

The thing I didn't really understand was going after more DBs and another pass rusher after signing Quinn and Mingo in FA.

I wasn't quoting you to imply you did. Your post just had me reminiscing. You may have. I don't know.

I didn't necessarily HATE any of the picks except Kmet, and that's only because I liked Delpit, Mims, Claypool, and Winfield more. What I hated was not addressing an obvious and very important weakness in the OL. It didn't have to be round 2, but was Vildor a necessary pick? There was no one in free agency to sign? Couldn't they have found someone in Vildor's spot or free agency to try to develop? After round 1 it's hell to find a big contributor, but at least TRY. 

Edited by beardown3231
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

Let’s not excuse the Montgomery pick either. They gave up draft capital to get him and he’s not stood out in any way to justify it.

Pace has traded up, IIRC, a total of 4 times. All 4 were for offensive players- Trubisky, Daniels, Miller and Montgomery. None of them can be described as "good" although Daniels is on a nice trajectory.

48 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Pace has traded up, IIRC, a total of 4 times. All 4 were for offensive players- Trubisky, Daniels, Miller and Montgomery. None of them can be described as "good" although Daniels is on a nice trajectory.

I don’t think he traded up for Daniels.

He traded you for Jackson and Floyd.

Edited by WindyCity