So it begins, do the Bears draft a 1st round QB in 2021?

dafreak

Jones has enough zip to play in the NFL, I don't doubt that. My concern is that he has a guy who will have to be a WC kind of passer, because he has good technique and STILL is a bit scattershot in the intermediate and deep throws. He just doesn't seem to hit guys in stride like you would expect, that is why he is below Wilson and Trask to me.

Just from @Heinz D.'s vid (thanks for the link BTW) I'll ignore the quick easy passes that depend on YAC and ones under 10 yards from LOS-

0:20 - solid throw. No issues

2 passes under 5 yards from LOS - don't care

1:12 - throws behind his guy on a deep in, but CB was trailing and trying to regain depth, so no harm.

1:33 = Almost an INT, but having the WR wrestle it away from the defender it counts as a catch. Poor choice. Should have at least thrown it more inside toward the numbers

Quick slant from the slot under 10 yards, badly threw behind his guy only 1 yard from the LOS

2:00 - #17 has his guy beat on a post by 3-4 yards and he has to literally stop and catch it from behind the defender to make the catch. Fantastic concentration by 17 but poor throw.

2:10 - Throws a fastball on a comeback that was ~15 yards from LOS. No issues, it was a beautiful throw. Best he has had so far.

2:25 - Easy TD throw and catch, he still makes the WR - who had a 3 yard lead on his guy - nearly stop to get the ball. Needs to trust his arm and hit him in stride, I feel like he is aiming rather than slinging.

2:53 - Really nice backshoulder pass. Well placed, allowed his guy to shield the ball with his body.

One scramble for a quick catch before half (good job keeping his eyes downfield), two short passes,

3:41 - Right about at that 10 yard threshold but this is my favorite pass so far. Throws into a window from shallow and deep, but throws it behind the WR so he has a chance to defend himself from the S bearing down on him. Good awareness.

3:50 - Poor throw. I know it went for a long TD but the DB got tripped up. Waddle had a fade up the sideline (started 2 yards from OOB line) and beat his guy but Jones threw it inside to where he caught it 2 yards inside the numbers. Waddle is a speedster and wouldn't have been caught in a footrace. Lucky GA didn't have a deep safety. 90 yard play and all due to Waddle.

Open shallow drag route -

4:48 - Really poorly thrown ball. Smith makes a hell of a play to get back to it when he flattens his route completely, but this throw was what you'd expect a solid high school starting QB to do. Ball had like 40ish air yards, but you're starting for a football powerhouse and underthrow it THAT badly? Wasn't the tightest spiral but wasn't a duck, so I think it was more him than the ball slipping out.

4:59 - Solid throw, gets the ball up over the DB and puts enough zip to make sure he doesn't force him OOB. Really nice ball.

Short throw behind LOS

He has the arm talent but doesn't rip it like he should. Maybe Saban has him in the mindset of "get the ball to your playmakers" and that's fine. Bama has top 5 recruiting every year so that isn't a bad thing. But in the NFL, QBs need to be playmakers or they need to be back ups. If he will sit and rip it he would make me feel more comfortable about drafting him in the top 2 rounds.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, blkwdw13 said:

You guys got me on Zach Wilson, and he is sky rocketing up the draft board. Might be hard to get him. 

Yeah, between him and Lance I like him more since he is a mobile pass-first QB. Lance is a run first QB who lacks experience.

My list goes-

Lawrence

Fields

Wilson

Trask

Jones

Newman

I doubt that list changes but maybe it will.

Wilson just slid to the side, moved up and to his right and threw a 40 yard dime that was dropped by the receiver. THAT is what separates him from Jones and Trask. Trask doesn't have that level of mobility and Jones lacks the accuracy even from a standstill, let alone on the move.

Wow, that was NFL caliber.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Wilson just slid to the side, moved up and to his right and threw a 40 yard dime that was dropped by the receiver. THAT is what separates him from Jones and Trask. Trask doesn't have that level of mobility and Jones lacks the accuracy even from a standstill, let alone on the move.

Wow, that was NFL caliber.

I just want to know what changed from his last two seasons to this one. He just looks like he is on another level.

7 minutes ago, blkwdw13 said:

I just want to know what changed from his last two seasons to this one. He just looks like he is on another level.

No doubt. Seems a little soon to have another Joe Burrow-like jump doesn't it? Seems like the game just became madden for him.

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

I think it is fine. It is. It is not special, he will need good mechanics, but I think he is Matt Ryan physically.

Fine is an apt word. I like stronger arms as a personal preference, but this dude miiiight be in Matt Barkely's wheelhouse.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 41st ward Chicagoian said:

Since there are always Alabama game on Chicago TV.  I watch just about every game.  Reminds me of Kyle Orton. Solid nothing special. Late 2nd early 3rd rounder. 

Yep. I think he is more pro ready as far as reads and such but Newman has more arm talent and mobility. If you can develop Newman he'd probably jump him to me  

5 hours ago, G08 said:

It's an average arm, my friend. Doesn't have zip on his throws, which you need from time to time. 

He clearly has a "plus" arm, you can see that plain as day in the highlight package I posted. Now, does he have a cannon? Well no, that's pretty obvious, too. He's probably around Trubisky as far as arm strength goes. There's no use debating it anyway, as Jones does way too many things too poorly for him to be high on my Bears wish list. Maybe as a consolation prize in the second round, or something. But you never know, maybe he'll finish strong and change my mind! 

16 hours ago, blkwdw13 said:

He had injuries to both his throwing hand, and throwing shoulder last season (and I believe surgery on both)
He could have just been naturally progressing, towards what he is now, but been set back by injuries last season before playing healthy again this year.

One of my largest concerns about him is his slimmer frame, and limited athleticism/mobility.... He scrambles a lot in college, but even against the lower levels of competition BYU faces, he's not going to be a guy you necessarily would design runs for.  He doesn't have the speed to get the edge. That's not to call him a statue by any means, just that his mobility will be almost exclusively used to buy some extra time to throw, rather than as an actual running threat. Luckily his ability to throw off platform is really damn good when he does move.

4 minutes ago, Epyon said:

He had injuries to both his throwing hand, and throwing shoulder last season (and I believe surgery on both)
He could have just been naturally progressing, towards what he is now, but been set back by injuries last season before playing healthy again this year.

One of my largest concerns about him is his slimmer frame, and limited athleticism/mobility.... He scrambles a lot in college, but even against the lower levels of competition BYU faces, he's not going to be a guy you necessarily would design runs for.  He doesn't have the speed to get the edge. That's not to call him a statue by any means, just that his mobility will be almost exclusively used to buy some extra time to throw, rather than as an actual running threat. Luckily his ability to throw off platform is really damn good when he does move.

I don't know everything I have seen from him he has more than enough athleticism and mobility, sure he isn't Lamar Jackson but almost no one is.