So it begins, do the Bears draft a 1st round QB in 2021?

dafreak

I think we must take a QB within the first two rounds regardless of how Foles plays for the rest of the year...if the wheels come off then we go after one as early as possible...if Foles is good then we still take one in the 2nd...for me if things go badly I really like Trask...if we are looking in the 2nd I really hope size & arm questions let Brock Purdy fall into the 2nd...dude is smart and a baller...

Outside of that we need a OT & ILB to go with that QB in the first few rounds.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

I think we must take a QB within the first two rounds regardless of how Foles plays for the rest of the year...if the wheels come off then we go after one as early as possible...if Foles is good then we still take one in the 2nd...for me if things go badly I really like Trask...if we are looking in the 2nd I really hope size & arm questions let Brock Purdy fall into the 2nd...dude is smart and a baller...

Outside of that we need a OT & ILB to go with that QB in the first few rounds.

....did you see that play against TCU this weekend?

19 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

This mentality is how you miss out on Mahomes, Brady, Brees, Wilson, Jackson, Prescott...

It is kind of depressing how many good QBs have been drafted since 2017.  

Gah... here's a horrible thought: what if the Bears don't lose any more games, but the season gets cancelled due to Covid, and then the 2021 draft is on standings based on 4 games....

Any idea how Foles' contract is structured in terms of the opt out if the season gets shortened? I know he can opt out with certain performance escalators such as being on the field for half the O snaps, plus reaching the playoffs, but I wonder if there is language that could give him that option-or his bonuses-with a short season. 

The problem if we are picking 20-24, which I think is looking realistic we are too far to trade up for Lawrence, Fields, Lance.

We are also probably too low in round 2 for Trask, Newman.

We may need to just take either Trask or Newman in round 1.

Trask interests me. He seems to process the field well and make solid decisions.

4 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

The problem if we are picking 20-24, which I think is looking realistic we are too far to trade up for Lawrence, Fields, Lance.

We are also probably too low in round 2 for Trask, Newman.

We may need to just take either Trask or Newman in round 1.

Trask interests me. He seems to process the field well and make solid decisions.

How the heck did Trey Lance get so much more hype since last season when he hasn't even played the one game he's playing in this year?  It's so freaking weird that last year it seemed to be Fields/Lawrence, then a huge gap and then Purdy/Lance and all of a sudden Lance is a top prospect without playing a game?  Am I remembering this wrong or is **** just weird?

1 hour ago, abstract_thought said:

This mentality is how you miss out on Mahomes, Brady, Brees, Wilson, Jackson, Prescott...

LMAO

Brady, Brees, Wilson, & Prescott weren't drafted in the 1st.  Mahomes was drafted in the top 10.  The only guy on your list who qualifies was taken 32nd overall, almost not a first round pick himself.  My philosophy also prevents the drafting of Rex Grossman, Cade McNown, Patrick Ramsey, Paxton Lynch, etc.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Brady, Brees, Wilson, & Prescott weren't drafted in the 1st.

Yes, and the strategy you're advocating would ensure the Bears pass on them.

My philosophy also prevents the drafting of Rex Grossman, Cade McNown, Patrick Ramsey, Paxton Lynch, etc.  

But it doesn't prevent drafting a bust at another position. You're not trading a dice-roll for a guarantee. You're trading a dice-roll for another dice-roll.

Edited by abstract_thought
  • Like 1

LMAO

Brady, Brees, Wilson, & Prescott weren't drafted in the 1st.  Mahomes was drafted in the top 10.  The only guy on your list who qualifies was taken 32nd overall, almost not a first round pick himself.  My philosophy also prevents the drafting of Rex Grossman, Cade McNown, Patrick Ramsey, Paxton Lynch, etc.  

You can find QBs later on but

1. You need every team to pass on them multiple times.

2. Your percentages go down. For every Russell Wilson there are 10 total bums drafted after the 2nd round.

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

You can find QBs later on but

1. You need every team to pass on them multiple times.

2. Your percentages go down. For every Russell Wilson there are 10 total bums drafted after the 2nd round.

Which is basically what my point was.  Outside of the weird year where Rodgers fell to 24 good QBs dont get out of the top 10 in the first round.  Hence my philosophy of not drafting QBs in THE FIRST ROUND outside of the top 10.  Obviously I'm not against drafting QBs in the 2nd and beyond bc the difference between those QBs after the top 10 and the 2nd is minimal.  Obviously if you are picking top 10 you should take the QB if the grade fits.

• Like 2