So it begins, do the Bears draft a 1st round QB in 2021?

dafreak

20 hours ago, topwop1 said:

So what? It's a legitimate question. Nagy could have given him a promotion and re-signed him as DC instead of hiring Pagano from outside.

He went to Denver in what was basically a lateral move to be their outside linebackers coach...

you're right. he should have stayed in chicago under a boss that he had worked with for a year rather than follow his friend and mentor, a man he has spent years working with, to denver. Totally nagy's fault that this happened. should burn him at the stake for it imo

i'd say it's worked out pretty well for him - guess he made the right call, huh?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

you're right. he should have stayed in chicago under a boss that he had worked with for a year rather than follow his friend and mentor, a man he has spent years working with, to denver. Totally nagy's fault that this happened. should burn him at the stake for it imo

i'd say it's worked out pretty well for him - guess he made the right call, huh?

Oh it worked out just fine for him.

My point remains that Nagy seems like he doesn't know how to evaluate talent properly..be it players or coaches under his own staff.

He could have at least tried to interview Staley and keep him here. There were no reports of any of that from the time.

He sucks

13 minutes ago, 41st ward Chicagoian said:

I was on sportrac.  How is the salary cap going down year over year?  2020 212 million 2021. 183million.  You think they adjust it up? 

Due to COVID. The minimum is $175 mil next year and while the NFL is still making money they lost a lot of potential revenue, most places are assuming that means they will stay closer to the floor rather than have higher amounts, but it hasn't been set yet.

5 minutes ago, 41st ward Chicagoian said:

Scenario:  the top 5 QBs are off the board.  

1 jets ~ Lawrence; 2 Jags ~ Fields; 4 Washington ~ Wilson; 10 Panther ~ Lance; 12 49ers ~ Trask  

You drafting Mac Jones? Or you taking OL and going QB in round 2 or 3?  

I fire the new GM for not trading up and putting us in this position...... That said, I think if all of those are off the board you really have to strongly consider "reaching" for Mac Jones.  He's the only other QB this class that intrigues me as a potential starter and whiffing entirely on the position gives absolutely nothing to "sell" fans on for the next season.

That being said, if all of those are off the board AND you think you can get Jones a bit later (like your 2nd rounder or a trade into the late first for a 5th year option), I'd strongly look at the OL prospects available, but also look at skill position talent available. Our offense simply lacks talent across the board, and the pick has to go towards remedying that. Etienne is a personal favorite of mine for that range. He's a faster McCaffrey, and would provide us with the explosion that Monty simply lacks and a legitimate (read not Patterson) option to Monty in the running game.

THAT being said, it also depends on what picks we can acquire via offloading defensive talent or potentially future picks, if we're going to consider a skill position player in the first 3 rounds vs 2 OL and a QB. I'm personally expecting at least a 4th pick in those first 3 rounds via trading some people, but ideally 5 picks give us a ton of room to move around with, and there's a number of guys that we can potentially put up for sale, notably Robinson, Mack, Hicks, A.Miller, and maybe even Fuller, for the right price.

47 minutes ago, Epyon said:

I fire the new GM for not trading up and putting us in this position...... That said, I think if all of those are off the board you really have to strongly consider "reaching" for Mac Jones.  He's the only other QB this class that intrigues me as a potential starter and whiffing entirely on the position gives absolutely nothing to "sell" fans on for the next season.

I didn't take the time to find anything better than this one. It concentrates too heavily on chunk plays and scores, but I think there's enough in there that you get the drift.

@Heinz D.  Purdy is someone I would consider in the ‘SOL 1st round QB scenario’ as a 2nd rounder option.

@Epyon  I really don’t want Pace trading up for anything outside of Lawrence.  The GMs in the NFL know 1.  Pace will be desperate to keep his Job 2. They can get him to pay twice as much as the market demands.  Just look at what John Lynch did in the Trubisky trade.  

26 minutes ago, 41st ward Chicagoian said:

This kid has a nice deep ball. I’d take him in round two 

Kid has upside, strong arm that can hit all levels, just needs developed. He is mobile enough to extend plays and be a regular contributor as a runner, like Alex Smith was in KC. I liken him to a Cam Newton-lite. But Nagy can't develop a QB. New HC would get a shot and could still get his guy in the 1st next year if he wants.

34 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Kid has upside, strong arm that can hit all levels, just needs developed. He is mobile enough to extend plays and be a regular contributor as a runner, like Alex Smith was in KC. I liken him to a Cam Newton-lite. But Nagy can't develop a QB. New HC would get a shot and could still get his guy in the 1st next year if he wants.

I am operating under the assumption that there will be no change.  Pace/Nagy get anther shot at QB.  

1 hour ago, 41st ward Chicagoian said:

I am operating under the assumption that there will be no change.  Pace/Nagy get anther shot at QB.  

I agree that's what will happen, the Bears are perennial disappointments so I'm sure they will keep with expectations.

That or they stupidly trade for Alex Smith, so we can have a different vet who knows the system.

4 hours ago, 41st ward Chicagoian said:

Scenario:  the top 5 QBs are off the board.  

1 jets ~ Lawrence; 2 Jags ~ Fields; 4 Washington ~ Wilson; 10 Panther ~ Lance; 12 49ers ~ Trask  

You drafting Mac Jones? Or you taking OL and going QB in round 2 or 3? 

I'm trading back to get more picks if possible, then taking OT. Jones just doesn't move the needle for me honestly.