So it begins, do the Bears draft a 1st round QB in 2021?

dafreak

14 hours ago, 41st ward Chicagoian said:

@Heinz D.  Purdy is someone I would consider in the ‘SOL 1st round QB scenario’ as a 2nd rounder option.

@Epyon  I really don’t want Pace trading up for anything outside of Lawrence.  The GMs in the NFL know 1.  Pace will be desperate to keep his Job 2. They can get him to pay twice as much as the market demands.  Just look at what John Lynch did in the Trubisky trade.  

The benefit of nabbing Purdy or Newman in the first is that fifth year option. Maybe trading back up into the bottom of the first? I don't know. One thing for sure, if ISU wins the Big 12, and Purdy keeps putting up the numbers he has...he's going to start climbing up people's boards.

If Pace is still GM come next draft day, yeah, the desperation will be obvious. One of the reasons they should have traded Trubisky immediately after they benched him. Get extra draft ammo to move up and get another guy.

14 hours ago, 41st ward Chicagoian said:

https://www.seniorbowl.com/the-game/accepted-invites/

Trask and Newman are invited to the 21 senior bowl. One of my favorite football games of the year. 

I love both of those college all-star games. Some of the funnest things to watch every season.

13 hours ago, 41st ward Chicagoian said:

I am operating under the assumption that there will be no change.  Pace/Nagy get anther shot at QB.  

I'm not at all convinced that will be the case. Now, there's still a chance that the Bears could (sort of) salvage the season and make it to the playoffs. There's also a chance the wheels are going to fall off, and the team is going to quit on Nagy. If the wheels fall off, the Bears will likely go 6-10, maybe 7-9, and I think that starts a housecleaning. 

12 hours ago, Sugashane said:

I'm trading back to get more picks if possible, then taking OT. Jones just doesn't move the needle for me honestly.

There's still a chance that Foles could be the guy if the team gets a new coaching staff and retools the line, but if I'm in charge I don't feel at all comfortable taking that chance. I'm going with a young guy that you can build around. If you kick the QB problem down the road, then you'd better be willing to start a fire sale. Trading Mack becomes priority number one. 

26 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

There's still a chance that Foles could be the guy if the team gets a new coaching staff and retools the line, but if I'm in charge I don't feel at all comfortable taking that chance. I'm going with a young guy that you can build around. If you kick the QB problem down the road, then you'd better be willing to start a fire sale. Trading Mack becomes priority number one. 

Foles is never the guy, at best he is the placeholder when the guy gets drafted or when the guy gets hurt. 

7 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Foles is never the guy, at best he is the placeholder when the guy gets drafted or when the guy gets hurt. 

Well, either way, I think it's pretty critical the Bears draft a guy who is possibly a franchise guy in the next draft. In fact, I think they should draft both a top-tier guy and then a lower tier guy with potential later on. Don't you think? I mean, them going O line first overall and going QB later (or even worse, 2022) seems really misguided to me. 

1 hour ago, Heinz D. said:

The benefit of nabbing Purdy or Newman in the first is that fifth year option. Maybe trading back up into the bottom of the first? I don't know. One thing for sure, if ISU wins the Big 12, and Purdy keeps putting up the numbers he has...he's going to start climbing up people's boards.

If Pace is still GM come next draft day, yeah, the desperation will be obvious. One of the reasons they should have traded Trubisky immediately after they benched him. Get extra draft ammo to move up and get another guy.

I love both of those college all-star games. Some of the funnest things to watch every season.

I'm not at all convinced that will be the case. Now, there's still a chance that the Bears could (sort of) salvage the season and make it to the playoffs. There's also a chance the wheels are going to fall off, and the team is going to quit on Nagy. If the wheels fall off, the Bears will likely go 6-10, maybe 7-9, and I think that starts a housecleaning. 

Meh neither guy intrigues me that much to go in the 1st.

Purdy is short and not athletic enough to warrant a 1st round grade.  He seems like he processes the field well and has nice touch but I also question his arm strength and ability to throw outside the numbers at the next level.

I think Bears will have a few better options come draft day.

6 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Meh neither guy intrigues me that much to go in the 1st.

Purdy is short and not athletic enough to warrant a 1st round grade.  He seems like he processes the field well and has nice touch but I also question his arm strength and ability to throw outside the numbers at the next level.

I think Bears will have a few better options come draft day.

The Bears should go for Lawrence, Fields, or Wilson. I wouldn't complain about Purdy, Trask, or probably Newman. At this point, Lance scares me. Like, a lot. That could change with the college bowls and the combine, but I doubt it. 

As to Purdy, his height doesn't bother me, nor does his arm strength. 

You guys probably won't like this but I'm guessing they will go 2 year plan on the offense.  First year is focused on the O-line then second year go for the QB.  That would mean Foles will probably be the QB but it has several advantages to offset that.

First it will keep Pace focused on something he has shown some compitance at.  It will also leverage the falling salary cap as decent line men are more likely to be cap casualties then skill positions, especially QBs, and it will keep him away from away from trading up for a QB which he has not shown any ability at.  Third it will burn anther year off Pace and Nagy's contracts, maybe build a line behind which a rookie with a high potential but not quit as polished as you would like might be able to survive and develop.

If next year Nagy can't make the team better then the sum of it's parts get rid of him before you make the QB move.  If Pace can't lay the foundation of a line that can succeed for the next 5 years then get rid of him and let the next guy blow a it up and start over.

Not sure I like it but that's what I think they will do.

Edited by Bfan

2 hours ago, Bfan said:

You guys probably won't like this but I'm guessing they will go 2 year plan on the offense.  First year is focused on the O-line then second year go for the QB.  That would mean Foles will probably be the QB but it has several advantages to offset that.

First it will keep Pace focused on something he has shown some compitance at.  It will also leverage the falling salary cap as decent line men are more likely to be cap casualties then skill positions, especially QBs, and it will keep him away from away from trading up for a QB which he has not shown any ability at.  Third it will burn anther year off Pace and Nagy's contracts, maybe build a line behind which a rookie with a high potential but not quit as polished as you would like might be able to survive and develop.

If next year Nagy can't make the team better then the sum of it's parts get rid of him before you make the QB move.  If Pace can't lay the foundation of a line that can succeed for the next 5 years then get rid of him and let the next guy blow a it up and start over.

I’ve considered that thought as a possibility, and with a new regime i could see them going that way.  But if pace and Nagy are still here, i see no way they don’t take a QB.  That gives them the best opportunity to buy them another couple years before getting canned.  They can’t afford to put QB off another year.

7 minutes ago, CBears019 said:

I’ve considered that thought as a possibility, and with a new regime i could see them going that way.  But if pace and Nagy are still here, i see no way they don’t take a QB.  That gives them the best opportunity to buy them another couple years before getting canned.  They can’t afford to put QB off another year.

I don't think the organization can afford it. Things will be closer to normal next season, and people are going to be flocking to games again. A half-filled Soldier Field is a bad look, and bad business. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

I don't think the organization can afford it. Things will be closer to normal next season, and people are going to be flocking to games again. A half-filled Soldier Field is a bad look, and bad business. 

The thing is the Bears will never just not have people show up. Even when they are having horrible seasons they are among the highest in attendance. Of course I mean percentage of stadium filled, not highest in actual total, the Bears have a stupidly low capacity for being such a huge market. 

That being said I'm with you. I want a QB this year and even willing to take another in the 1st next year too. Let them fight it out. 

Edited by Sugashane
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Bfan said:

I just see a cycle of replace GM who wants his guy at head coach and his guy at QB, fail, replace head coach, fail, replace QB, fail, rinse and repeat.  Sigh, I wonder where my '85 Bears highlight video is?☹️

That may happen in the future, but Mitch certainly wasn’t Nagy’s hand-picked guy. I think getting our GM and coach on the same page would help our QB problems.

46 minutes ago, Bfan said:

I just see a cycle of replace GM who wants his guy at head coach and his guy at QB, fail, replace head coach, fail, replace QB, fail, rinse and repeat.  Sigh, I wonder where my '85 Bears highlight video is?☹️

Well...that's sort of the "Circle of Death" in the entire NFL, isn't it? We just have to hope things work out in the future. And it's sad that the '85 Bears have to be our go-to happy place, as Ditka was so profoundly inept...

18 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

The thing is the Bears will never just not have people show up. Even when they are having horrible seasons they are among the highest in attendance. Of course I mean percentage of stadium filled, not highest in actual total, the Bears have a stupidly low capacity for being such a huge market. 

That being said I'm with you. I want a QB this year and even willing to take another in the 1st next year too. Let them fight it out. 

I get what you're saying, but there was a period of time when the organization was having problems putting butts in the seats, and I truly think if the Bears keep mucking about, we will quickly be in a similar place again. There is a widespread sense of dissatisfaction with this organization among its fanbase, and I'm not just talking about the vibes I pick up around here. There is a clear sense that the current staff has absolutely blown what should have been a wonderful opportunity. 

• Like 1

https://www.nfl.com/news/2021-nfl-salary-cap-conundrum-three-major-consequences-of-projected-decrease

Good article on the 2021 cap situation.  The main point I took away is the value of draft picks and cheap contracts.  The bears need to fire Pace before this bone head trades away all our draft capital and cripples this team.   

Also the fuller 20 million cap hit and the Mack cap hit needs to be restructured or extended.  

Edited by 41st ward Chicagoian

I was really against the Mack trade when it happened and then quickly changed my mind after his performance in the first 5 games. I think my initial read was correct. Mack is a very good player, but he plays in a league where offense is king. 

If we kept our picks we would have been in a better spot to build the OL and skill positions. It seems like most of these deals almost never work.

Didn't JJ Watt win DPOY while the Texans were a 5-11 team?

Edited by Nads786
  • Like 1

On 11/29/2020 at 9:46 AM, Bfan said:

I actually like this plan. Keeps Nagy/Pace away from a rookie QB and puts the new QB in a decent situation -if- they can get the line sorted.