So it begins, do the Bears draft a 1st round QB in 2021?

dafreak

If Pace/Nagy are still here then I'm guessing we end up drafting an OT with the first round and rolling with a vet QB and either Bray or a late round QB in 2021. (Most likely Bray because the staff seems to like him for whatever reason). 

I would say a vet and Foles (since he is locked in for next year) but releasing him would be taking a 4M hit in the cap, and while that may not seem like much during any normal year, it means a lot during this very abnormal year. However, even in this abnormal year I think they eat the hit and then make it back up in other ways and Foles is gone. 

If Pace/Nagy are still here then I don't see either Mitch or Foles being here next year. Both QBs failed and both QBs were chosen by Pace and Nagy who will be fighting to cool their hot seats. 

If Pace/Nagy get fired then both QBs are gone for sure and your guess is as good as mine as what they do with the QB position.

• Like 1

I dont like Trey Lance but if there was a year to try it at #20 this would be the one. If he doesnt work, you get a top 3 pick in 2022 and take another one. 

I'm also cool with Trask if we can trade down a few picks. 

Basically, I want a R1 or R2 QB or bust

18 minutes ago, ChiCity said:

I am not sure that Mac Jones is going to make it to #20

Might not get past the Patriots at 15. Belichick and Saban are tight so he will have all the background info he needs on the guy.

Bears may have a shot at Lance though if they stay put at 20.

15 hours ago, topwop1 said:

Foles ain't going anywhere folks. He is going to be the bridge QB to at least start the year.

I fully expect this team to draft a new one in April.

Mitch thank you for your service...all the best of luck moving forward

I'm not sure why everyone assumes this.  If Pace/Nagy had any intentions on keeping Foles then he would've saw the field when the game was out of reach. 

6 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

I'm not sure why everyone assumes this.  If Pace/Nagy had any intentions on keeping Foles then he would've saw the field when the game was out of reach. 

We assume it because they gave up a 4th round pick for him and will have a dead cap of $14M if he's released in the offseason vs a $6.5M cap hit to keep him..unless he's traded his dead cap figure will reduce to about $5M...but who's going to trade for him?

He's going to be back whether people like it or not. Doesn't mean it's a guarantee he will start at any point but he will be back.

Edited by topwop1
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

IIRC he's very close to hitting playing time incentives in his contract worth about 500K. He may also have incentives tied to appearing in a playoff game.

11 hours ago, ChiCity said:

I am not sure that Mac Jones is going to make it to #20

I was going to chime in. Jones has played against the best top 10 competition this year. He topped it off with an absolutely dominating performance in the CFP Championship. He will definitely go 1st round.

6 hours ago, topwop1 said:

We assume it because they gave up a 4th round pick for him and will have a dead cap of $14M if he's released in the offseason vs a $6.5M cap hit to keep him..unless he's traded his dead cap figure will reduce to about $5M...but who's going to trade for him?

He's going to be back whether people like it or not. Doesn't mean it's a guarantee he will start at any point but he will be back.

It's only creates 10.3M in dead cap if he's released...not 14M. 

He is set to make 6.6M next year and they would only have to take a 3.7M cap hit to release him before the June deadline. 

If they wait until AFTER June 1st then the dead cap is reduced to 7.6M and the cap hit would only be 1M. This is a very possible outcome. The only issue there would be is that it also prevents Foles from hitting the first wave of FA and would likely limit his options by the time he hit the market. 

Him being here next year is certainly not a forgone conclusion.  Especially after what we saw Sunday. 

6 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

IIRC he's very close to hitting playing time incentives in his contract worth about 500K. He may also have incentives tied to appearing in a playoff game.

He needed to take 80% of the snaps to earn this. /s

There is almost no way he hit his incentives. Maybe for being active in a playoff game but that's the same bs that all players get. 

Edited by JAF-N72EX