So it begins, do the Bears draft a 1st round QB in 2021?

dafreak

3 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

It's only creates 10.3M in dead cap if he's released...not 14M. 

He is set to make 6.6M next year and they would only have to take a 3.7M cap hit to release him before the June deadline. 

If they wait until AFTER June 1st then the dead cap is reduced to 7.6M and the cap hit would only be 1M. This is a very possible outcome. The only issue there would be is that it also prevents Foles from hitting the first wave of FA and would likely limit his options by the time he hit the market. 

Him being here next year is certainly not a forgone conclusion.  Especially after what we saw Sunday. 

Where you getting your info from?  I saw this on Spotrac.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/chicago-bears/nick-foles-9898/#

It shows that unless he's traded the minimum dead cap he'll leave behind is $11.66M and that's with a post June 1st cut.

Like I said no one team is trading for Foles.

Just now, topwop1 said:

Where you getting your info from?  I saw this on Spotrac.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/chicago-bears/nick-foles-9898/#

It shows that unless he's traded the minimum dead cap he'll leave behind is $11.66M and that's with a post June 1st cut.

Like I said no one team is trading for Foles.

https://overthecap.com/player/nick-foles/773/

95t3iy7.png

1 minute ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Well one of these sites is wrong but to give OTC the benefit of the doubt, at minimum Foles will still count $7.6M or so against Bears cap unless he's traded and there's no way this team is going to take that cap hit on without having him here as a backup at the very least.

I know I harped on him a lot but Foles is a good back up to have.  He's just not a starter in this league.  It'd be pretty surprising if he wasn't back in some capacity.

1 minute ago, topwop1 said:

Well one of these sites is wrong but to give OTC the benefit of the doubt, at minimum Foles will still count $7.6M or so against Bears cap unless he's traded and there's no way this team is going to take that cap hit on without having him here as a backup at the very least.

I know I harped on him a lot but Foles is a good back up to have.  He's just not a starter in this league.  It'd be pretty surprising if he wasn't back in some capacity.

I agree. I'm not against having either Mitch or Foles as a backup. But I also don't want a rookie QB to be thrown into the fire either like we did with Mitch but someone has to start. 

If it were my choice I'd go with a vet and a rookie. 

Foles roster bonus in 2022 becomes fully guaranteed if he is on the roster when the 2021 league year opens.

I could see them cutting him before that, designating him a June 1st cut, happens and splitting the 10 million cap hit 5 million in each year.

Edited by WindyCity

6 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

I agree. I'm not against having either Mitch or Foles as a backup. But I also don't want a rookie QB to be thrown into the fire either like we did with Mitch but someone has to start. 

If it were my choice I'd go with a vet and a rookie. 

The problem is you're not going to get a vet to come in here that will be better while also cheaper than Foles.  With the Bears cap issues it doesn't seem probable that they can afford to take on Foles' dead cap hit, sign another vet between $5-10M while also drafting a 1st round QB at pick 20 who will probably make $2-3M minimum.  And please don't say Sham Newton is an option because he ain't it.

Edited by topwop1

1 minute ago, topwop1 said:

The problem is you're not going to get a vet to come in here that will be better while also cheaper than Foles.  With the Bears cap issues it doesn't seem probable that they can afford to take on Foles' dead cap hit, sign another vet between $5-10M while also drafting a 1st round QB at pick 20 who will probably make $2-3M minimum.  And please don't say Sham Newton is an option because he ain't it.

I'd take the hit if it gives us a better QB who can help us win games b/c Foles obviously can't.  And hell no with Cam. 

Alex Smith would be the best choice in Nagy's system, if he decides to stay in play another year and WAS decides to release him and save 14+M. But this also working under the assumption that Nagy is still here and running the offense. If he gets fired then it would muddy the waters even more because then it depend on the next OCs system.

13 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

He has a 50% snaps incentive which he was very close to hitting.

But he didn't hit it so it's a moot point.  Foles is a garbage starting QB and I don't want him to start another game for the Bears again unless he's a backup and we're resting starters in week 18.

• Like 1