So it begins, do the Bears draft a 1st round QB in 2021?

dafreak

1 hour ago, topwop1 said:

I agree with you. I get why people want to let Pace go. He messed up with the biggest decision a GM has to make and compounded it by trading more assets to make it happen.

Hindsight is always easy for us fans...however I say we let things play out a bit longer before we may any judgement calls on anyone's future.

The trade up to #2 (to draft Mitch) was not that big of a deal. People maintaining that it was are merely parroting stuff from football talking heads...who didn't like Mitch in the first place. 

Which is sort of stupid, if you look at things as a whole. I mean...the Eagles gave up a lot more to get Wentz, and he may end up in the same discard pile Trubisky will find himself in.

As far as Pace's future, yeah, let's see how this season goes before making any judgements on him. 

1 hour ago, DABEARSLCF04 said:

In Hindsight, its so easy to throw him under the bus. But in lamest terms thats his only downside so far, the uhhhh QB. Im ok letting him get a 2nd chance at a QB, be it draft or some sort of other move. I lived through the Rex/Orton days and Cutler days, bring it on!

Meaning Pace, correct?

I think, as it stands now, he's certainly worth a shot at picking another QB. Plenty of good GMs have had that same luxury. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DABEARSLCF04 said:

In Hindsight, its so easy to throw him under the bus. But in lamest terms thats his only downside so far, the uhhhh QB. Im ok letting him get a 2nd chance at a QB, be it draft or some sort of other move. I lived through the Rex/Orton days and Cutler days, bring it on!

All 3 had more success than Mitch. 

Why are you ready to give him another chance beside blind faith?

48 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

The trade up to #2 (to draft Mitch) was not that big of a deal. People maintaining that it was are merely parroting stuff from football talking heads...who didn't like Mitch in the first place. 

Which is sort of stupid, if you look at things as a whole. I mean...the Eagles gave up a lot more to get Wentz, and he may end up in the same discard pile Trubisky will find himself in.

As far as Pace's future, yeah, let's see how this season goes before making any judgements on him. 

Meaning Pace, correct?

I think, as it stands now, he's certainly worth a shot at picking another QB. Plenty of good GMs have had that same luxury. 

How many GMs have missed on a top 5 QB and been given another shot at it? 

5 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Lets fire Pace and hire a GM who is good at drafting QBs but is terrible at everything else and everyone will be happy. Oh wait...a QB is only as good as his staff and teammates so would that mean the QB is not so good....

But hey. A GM's job is to only draft a good QB. 

QB is the most important position.

No one said the new GM would be terrible at drafting other positions. Maybe he will be able to even draft good players in the top 10 or find a competent kicker?

If we have a franchise QB we will be closer to actually winning than we have been in a decade plus.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Then what was your point? 

We have one and you want him fired.  You have already been shown this before during one of your previous circular discussions. You just selectively choose to ignore facts that don't fit your agenda. 

No we came to the conclusion he was a mediocre GM. Somewhere in the middle of the league.

You also cut the quote at a convenient point. “Recent success at drafting and developing a QB”.

Medicore GM + Bad at QBs= why the hell are we keeping him around.

42 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

I like Nagy as a HC and I truly believe he could a long term fixture here. His play-calling is a bit buggy at times but this is all based on a QB who he didn't even outright choose.

I think Nagy saw Mitch and really thought he could 'fix' him or atleast "bandage him up" enough to make it work for the team built around him. And in a sense, he did in some ways.

But when he started to make adjustment, after adjustment, after adjustment and saw very little to no improvements on Mitch's end after running out of ideas, he realized that he bit off more than he could chew and the INT last week was the last straw. The INT was a representation of Mitch's lack of ability to read defenses and being easily fooled by cover looks and that has been issue since day one. .  

With QBs, there are some things that cannot be taught. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

QB is the most important position.

No one said the new GM would be terrible at drafting other positions. Maybe he will be able to even draft good players in the top 10 or find a competent kicker?

If we have a franchise QB we will be closer to actually winning than we have been in a decade plus.

Pace has drafted good players (relative to the league). You just choose to ignore it. 

Competent Kicker? How many have those? Have you watched football this year?

A QB don't mean nothing without other moving parts. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

No we came to the conclusion he was a mediocre GM. Somewhere in the middle of the league.

You also cut the quote at a convenient point. “Recent success at drafting and developing a QB”.

Medicore GM + Bad at QBs= why the hell are we keeping him around.

It's not all about the QB position. He does more than you choose to give him credit for. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

It's not all about the QB position. He does more than you choose to give him credit for. 

It’s the NFL, there are 2 leagues. The teams with QBs who compete every year and those who don’t who hope to catch lightning in a bottle once a decade.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Pace has drafted good players (relative to the league). You just choose to ignore it. 

Competent Kicker? How many have those? Have you watched football this year?

A QB don't mean nothing without other moving parts. 

I think he has picked good players. He has also missed on a bunch of picks and outside of Jackson and Goldman has not added a lot of true difference makers in the draft.

He is not so good in the draft that we should ignore his failures at QB.

28 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

It’s the NFL, there are 2 leagues. The teams with QBs who compete every year and those who don’t who hope to catch lightning in a bottle once a decade.

He signed our staff, who is doing well so far.

He signed a fallback for Mitch in Foles.

He signed Ejack early before Adams and his price went up. 

He signed Fuller before his price went up 

Same with Goldman.

He signed Ifedi who is playing well so far.

He signed Gipson who made the drive ending INT last week. 

He signed Ginn who made a clutch throw at the end.

He signed Robinson who is by far the best target on the team (although I wish he would extend him--F him for that but that may be because he wantedto wait to see if he had to pay Mitch or not? )

He signed Mingo, who has been a big surprise to me. 

He let Callahan and Amos go and get big money somewhere else and paid MUCH less for their replacements without missing a beat.

This team is STILL 3-0 this year. 

Etc, etc. This is what I mean b looking at the bigger picture. 

Edited by JAF-N72EX

None of those moves are impressive. They are standard GMing. He does a good job of extending his own players and finding veteran stop gaps.

He also blows a ton of money on mediocre/bad free agent signings.

He also has the money to offer these extensions because he has no 1st round picks to extend.

This is a 3-0 team, but we aren’t in the class of the top teams and we will see that over the next 5-6 weeks.

37 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

He also has the money to offer these extensions because he has no 1st round picks to extend.

He has no 1st round picks to extend because he signed Mack (the player who took our defense from good to great and is main reason why we have one of the best defenses in the league and made the playoffs in 2018.

Do you see the conflict here? Fans want their cake and eat it to and that's not realistic.

They are happy Pace  went out and got Mack regardless of the money and draft capital that it took to get him. But in the same breath, they are using those points AGAINST him.

There has to be a happy medium here and I haven't seen it amongst most fans. 

Edited by JAF-N72EX