MLB Playoff Discussion

BayRaider

16 hours ago, Leader said:

Word is the NYY are gonna give Sanchez another go and that Chapman may be on his way out.

I’d rather give Chapman another go and get rid of Sanchez.

Your 300+ million dollar ace pitcher prefers to work with the back up catcher. That’s an indictment. Sanchez being on this roster come spring time would be a mistake.

1 hour ago, bigbadbuff said:

I’d rather give Chapman another go and get rid of Sanchez. Your 300+ million dollar ace pitcher prefers to work with the back up catcher. That’s an indictment. Sanchez being on this roster come spring time would be a mistake.

The Sanchez comment comes from Hal's comments and reporting. The Chapman comment - I'd not heard (or read) about personally - thats came from another fan. So, perhaps take it with a grain of salt.....although I could see the potential. Chapman costs a pretty penny - has failed miserably on the big stage more than enough times - and they have decisions to make about Britton - who went 8 for 8 in close situations when Chapman was out this year - or maybe it's 8 for 8 overall and not just this year. Not sure. Are they seriously considering moving Chapman? Dont know...but could see it.

As for Mr. Sanchez.........

I've been over him for a couple years already. Sure - every once in a blue moon he puts a charge into the ball. Great - but in between he hits miserably and is a defensive liability. Give me an Austine Romine type. Nothing spectacular, but steady behind the plate and will give you .260+ hitting singles, doubles, moving guys over with the occasional HR. I can live with that more than .125 and lazy/slow behind the plate.

Either the NYY hitting coaches suck royally or the AL pitching staffs have Sanchez all figured out. Which it is - dont know / cant say - but we cant carry a hole in the lineup - especially when he fails so frequently behind the plate.

Edited by Leader

As of now, there would be 10 past World Series matchups that couldn't be rematched in that round due to my proposed realignment including:

4 between the Giants and Athletics (1905, 1911, and 1913 while in New York and Philadelphia, respectively, and 1989 while in San Francisco and Oakland, respectively - 1989 was the series interrupted by an earthquake)

2 between the Dodgers and Athletics (1974 and 1988, both after both teams moved to California)

1 between the Angels and Giants (2002)

All the above World Series matched teams that would move to the Pacific Coast League. Thus, it would no longer be possible for a World Series to take place entirely west of the Central Time Zone, let alone in California.

The Braves' appearances in the 1991 and 1992 World Series against the Twins and Blue Jays, respectively; both were matchups of teams that would move to the Continental League.

The 1982 World Series between the Brewers and Cardinals, a rematch has not been possible for this one since the Brewers moved to the NL Central in 1998.

One World Series that had lost the ability to have a rematch would gain it back - 2005 between the White Sox and Astros, which lost the rematch possibility when the Astros moved to the AL in 2013, but would gain it back with the Astros moving to the CL.

Edited by pf9

Either the Dodgers or Braves would provide an interesting matchup

The Dodgers would make it a showdown of #1 seeds, while the Braves would be a geographic opponent and a preview of a future Continental League rivalry (if it turns out that way)

3 minutes ago, malibuspeedrace said:

I didn't know you were a college football fan

@ramssuperbowl99

I'm a fan of the sport, but not of any specific team.

The closes I come to rooting for a team is Penn St since I have several friends that went there. I probably come off a bit of a Bama fan but that is only because I like Saban, unlike most, and think they get hated on for things they shouldn't be so I end up defending them, but I honestly don't have any real rooting interest in them.