Clarkfn's 2020 Game Reviews Week 3 @ New York Giants

clarkfn2284

QB

Nick Mullens was very good. He was clearly prepared and once again showed that he is a top backup in the league. He started out a little inaccurate and the offense seemed to lack creativity, but about three drives in he started to find his footing. Once he did, it was curtains. Clearly he has developed a solid rapport with KB and Reed. I was most impressed with his poise. Even with pressure around him and honestly lack of an efficient running game he showed the ability to create time and was pretty accurate on some tough throws. The ball isn't always in the best place and there were some clock issues in regards to getting out of the huddle on time, but that may be on the play caller as well. Mullens completed balls to 10 different receivers. This is what it is going to take as they approach the tougher teams in the schedule.

Grade: Mullens (A)

RB

Just an inefficient day for this group on the ground, but the impact that they had in the receiving game is something you can quantify. the Giants have a solid run defense and it showed. I don't have a whole lot to talk about in the run game. With the injuries I think we learned that Jet is not a 3 down back, but that is fine because it's not the role he needs to play. In the pass game we saw impacts across the board. McKinnon made a really nice catch down in the red zone. Jeff WIlson continues to show his ability to be reliable when called upon even when he doesn't see the field a ton. I was really intrigued by Hasty. He looks like he could really be a tool in the tool box. The ability to line him up as a receiver ala Kareem Hunt could really turn into something. He will learn quickly that he cannot cut everything back in the run game at the NFL level. Juice was his normal very good self. He had an incredible block on WIlson's screen that went for a TD. Shout out on the blitz pick ups as well.

Grade: McKinnon (B), Wilson (B+), Hasty (B), Juice (B+)

WR

Nice day from these guys. I'm really liking the reliability that KB brings. I want more usage of him. Taylor and Sanu with small cameos. The real story is Brandon Aiyuk. He looked bigger and stronger then all the other players on the field. He really jumped off the screen. His speed when he turned up the reverse was noticeable and deceptive. Pairing he and Deebo has deadly potential. They seem to be very similar players, with Deebo being more polished. Taylor made a great catch over the middle on one of the first few drives. The ball was at his face and a rocket and he snatched out of the blue and was able to keep running. It just stood out to me. 

Grade: Aiyuk (A), Taylor (B), KB (B+), Sanu (C+)

TE

Solid all around effort from both guys here. Huge on 3rd downs and just overall a great ability to make up for the loss of Kittle and then the loss of Reed. Hopefully for Reed it's minor, but they called it an ankle and a knee which may indicate a high ankle sprain. He was clearly the game plan before he got hurt and pairing him with Kittle when healthy just adds another dimension to the pass game. Dwelley is severely underrated as a pass catcher. He gets open, makes sure handed catches and then has the ability to run with the ball after the catch. He is often referred to as a blocking TE, but that seems like just his role, not his ability. 

Grade: Reed (B+), Dwelley (B), Woerner (C)

OL

A much better showing from this group from the previous two weeks. The Giants have a really good front 4 and they really stuffed the running lanes. I will continue to say that the IOL is going to be a problem all year especially when you face guys like Donald. Garland was pushed back a lot, although he had a great block in the open field on a screen pass. McG was good. I actually didn't even see or hear his name much which is always good news. Still lots of work to do here as these guys have yet to really face off against a solid pass rush team.

Grade: Trent (B), Tomlinson (C+), Garland (C+), Brunskill (D+), McG (B)

DL

Pressure by committee. The depth and talent that Lynch and co. have put together is beginning to show. A far, far contrast from 2017. I am really enjoying watching the guys that we normally wouldn't see with the full group available. Kerry Hyder is a force. He is an interesting case because I don't know that he does anything in particular extremely well. Obviously, he is a high motor guy and I think he really utilizes leverage. On his 3rd quarter sack he did a really nice job of dipping and hand fighting. Love watching him have success. Im officially providing my stamp of approval on Kinlaw. He is going to wreck things in every game. He is so stout and still has so much to learn. Deceptively quick for his size and I can see why the org. made the decision they did on Buckner. Armstead looked good and really did a nice job of exhibiting his length and taking advantage of it. Dion Jordan showed up a couple times had the fumble recovery as well and showed he still had some speed off the edge. Ziggy, didn't show me much. He just seemed to run into a OT wall every single time.

Grade: Hyder (A-), Jones (B), Armstead (B+), Jordan (B), Ansah (C), Givens (C+), Street (B-)

LB

No weakness seen with Greenlaw out of the lineup. Warner was his usual self. He made a heck of a play on the INT. He said after the game that Tartt called out the route to him. It's good to see that he trusts his guys out there on the field. If Warner starts to add this to his game he will be the best in the game. Nothing to complain about for Kwon, thought he looked fast and was moving well. Just never really showed up with any splash plays. I was worried about Aziz, he didn't get exposed which is a good thing, but I question how many snaps he had. Seemed to be a ton of Nickle. 

Grade: Aziz (C+), Kwon (B), Warner (A)

DB

This was a fun watch for me. This group is depleted already and then lost Moseley. I will never feel comfortable with Dontae Johnson on the field. I really watched Verrett in this game. He looked really good. Even on the plays that he gave up a catch he was in good coverage. The Giants are not a deadly receiving group, but Slayton is a very good skill player and they kept him quiet all day long. Looking forward to more from Verrett, hoping that Moseley isn't bad and that these guys can get healthy soon.

Grade: Verrett (B+), Moseley (INC), Johnson (B)

S

Tartt and Ward were flying around doing their thing. Tartt missed the INT on a ball he makes the play on more then half the time. Harris forced 2 fumbles and looked fast. Games like this only serve to help this group out. Harris and Moore need snaps and in games like this they can get a good amount of snap count. Solid production from the back end.

Grade: Tartt (B+), Ward (B+), Harris (A), Moore (B)

ST

Gould looks to be in mid season form, Kyle Nelson turned into Chuck Knoblauch with a serious case of the yips. Hopefully that works itself out.

Grade: Gould (A), Nelson (F)

Conclusion

They did what they needed to do. They attacked the Giants on 3rd down, stayed with the run even though it wasn't efficient and let Nick throw. I like that Kyle has confidence in his guys and the ability to get them ready. I didn't see a glaring difference in the offensive play calling. 2-1 headed home with an abysmal Philly team with a terrible O-Line and a QB who can't find his confidence in a dumpster should result in a 3-1 record. It will be interesting to see if they decide to hold Jimmy out 1 more week just to allow for full healing if he isnt 90% or better. Hopefully Mostert will be back because the offense is missing the explosive nature he brings. However, Deebo sounds like he may be back so he will bring an element to the offense they have not had. This team is on pace to be 4-1 before the murderer's row of games and it may be best to get guys rest over the next two weeks to have them ready for that stretch. I think seeing what we have seen will help ease the nerves a bit when it comes to life away from Bosa/Thomas etc. It's odd because it felt like the World was falling in on the team, but then you realize that the team is really deep and really well coached and just really good. This team is going to be fine. It may not end up in a Championship season, but you cant tell anyone in the organization that because they don't believe you. I am pretty sure this team can beat Philly at home without Jimmy so here is to hoping they give him another week and let Mullens lead the way one more week. I just value that stretch leading into the Bye week so much more then these first 5 games. The best part of the weekend is the Cardinals and Rams came back to the Niners, just like I said they would. The Seahawks will as well. That defense is atrocious. Onto week 4!

• Like 2