Foles Discussion

dll2000

2 minutes ago, soulman said:

Now that I can agree with.  It would take a minor miracle like Rodgers being lost for the season for us to even win the NFCN.  The God's honest truth is we still aren't as good as the Packers.  They probably have an inside track to an NFC Championship and if we can't beat them in the regular season to win the NFCN we're not likely to do it in the playoffs either.  That's as straight forward as it gets.

Packers are best team right now.   Can't argue different.

But their defense is overrated and they are a Rodgers hit away from being not only not good, but bad.  

Start calling holding and Bears are holding teams under 20 and add 7 points a game to our scoring.   Our secondary is vastly improved and nobody saw that coming.

Any team can lose in a one game series in football.   The margins aren't that big for most. 

Now KC is head and shoulders better at moment, but that can change.   A chip and a chair is all you need.  

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

1. Mitch is a smart human.  Evidence that he is a smart football player is simply not there.   It's year 4 and we still have a limited playbook?  Common.   Even most recent game shows that.   Foles has been here, what 2 months AND had to split time AND then had time reduced to zero?  

2. Mitch is likable.  Foles being likable doesn't add or detract from that.  I think Foles is likely to be a better leader for simple fact that he has shown to be a better player. 

3. I don't see fans acting like Foles is a savior.  I think Bears have a lot of talent and having improved QB play would go a long way to making them a better team.

Mitch has shown he is clearly better than Daniel and Daniel has had made millions as a back up QB.   Don't go feeling too sorry for MT.

The difference between Mitch and Nick Foles as I see it is not one of skills or raw talent.  On that basis alone Mitch would win hand down.

IMHO the difference is their level of maturity as NFL QBs.  That was made most obvious on the TD toss to Miller which proved to be the game winner.

Foles reasoned out the probability that he'd face a blitz and an unblocked rusher so he had a kill play set up during the 2 minute warning with instructions to Miller where to be to gather in the throw.   And he was very precise.  He knew under pressure just how far and how accurately he could deliver the ball so he left nothing to chance.  All he had to hope for was that Miller broke free of his coverage, got there when the ball did, and held on.

Despite Mitch having delivered a similar game winner against Detroit he did it with ample protection and with a play they'd practiced and succeeded with against Detroit before.  Foles drew it up on the spot almost playground style and the minute he got to the line and saw where the pressure would come from checked off to it.  If Mitch had ever proven he could think and produce like that he'd still be starting.  He simply hasn't and that's that.

At this time Mitch can't play consistently well in this scheme.  It doesn't fit his natural tendencies and Nagy isn't about to make wholesale changes in what he bring to the table as a HC and offensive mind just to bend his schemes around Mitch.  Even having done some of that it didn't work or at least not well enough to have confidence Mitch could go out each game with a good chance of winning it.  Can Foles do that?  I dunno but we're gonna find out.

6 minutes ago, soulman said:

Now that I can agree with.  It would take a minor miracle like Rodgers being lost for the season for us to even win the NFCN.  The God's honest truth is we still aren't as good as the Packers.  They probably have an inside track to an NFC Championship and if we can't beat them in the regular season to win the NFCN we're not likely to do it in the playoffs either.  That's as straight forward as it gets.

Have you seen what Foles has done in the playoffs before? We don't need to win the North.  All it takes is getting there and then anything can happen and with the extra playoff spot this year that only helps the team's chances.

Packers are playing well but they are not invincible. Their D has been pretty average so far this year and can be exploited.  Bears also rank pretty high in terms of overall pass defense and they've already faced two pretty good QB's in Stafford and Ryan.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Packers are best team right now.   Can't argue different.

But their defense is overrated and they are a Rodgers hit away from being not only not good, but bad.  

Start calling holding and Bears are holding teams under 20 and add 7 points a game to our scoring.   Our secondary is vastly improved and nobody saw that coming.

Any team can lose in a one game series in football.   The margins aren't that big for most. 

Now KC is head and shoulders better at moment, but that can change.   A chip and a chair is all you need.  

Our defense is better but Rodgers, now with a decent run game, leads an offense we can only dream off right now.

Sure, they may only one tough hit on Rodgers and an injury to him away from falling off the peak but that's an IF I won't figure into our odds of winning the NFCN.

4 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Have you seen what Foles has done in the playoffs before? We don't need to win the North.  All it takes is getting there and then anything can happen and with the extra playoff spot this year that only helps the team's chances.

Packers are playing well but they are not invincible. Their D has been pretty average so far this year and can be exploited.  Bears also rank pretty high in terms of overall pass defense and they've already faced two pretty good QB's in Stafford and Ryan.

Sure, I've seen what Foles has done in the playoffs and it was much like what we saw Sunday.

No, the Packers aren't invincible.  But while you're talking about their D being exploited we should also take a look at our own because they have been too.

But I'll stand by my post.  To have any chance of making it to the NFC Championship Game we'd better figure out how to beat GB in the regular season.

2 minutes ago, soulman said:

Our defense is better but Rodgers, now with a decent run game, leads an offense we can only dream off right now.

Sure, they may only one tough hit on Rodgers and an injury to him away from falling off the peak but that's an IF I won't figure into our odds of winning the NFCN.

Rodgers is killing it with his brain. 

The no fans (noise) and him getting to LOS with a lot of time on play clock is why that offense is dominating.  Also he is willing to play within structure of offense for first time in years.

LaFluer was genius this offseason in that he let Rodgers have a lot of input into offense in offseason and mollified his ego so it became HIS offense as much as LaFluers.   Now that he knows what LaFluer wants LaFluer is cool with him changing plays at LOS.  

The buy in from Rodgers was key.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Rodgers is killing it with his brain. 

The no fans (noise) and him getting to LOS with a lot of time on play clock is why that offense is dominating.  Also he is willing to play within structure of offense for first time in years.

LaFluer was genius this offseason in that he let Rodgers have a lot of input into offense in offseason and mollified his ego so it became HIS offense as much as LaFluers.   Now that he knows what LaFluer wants LaFluer is cool with him changing plays at LOS.  

The buy in from Rodgers was key.

They also drafted Jordan Love, let's not forget the motivation for Rogers to stick it to them. I don't think that relationship is as warm as you think. I would feel exactly like Rogers, I would want to stick it to them. How long can they keep Rogers and Jordan Love? 2022?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nads786 said:

They also drafted Jordan Love, let's not forget the motivation for Rogers to stick it to them. I don't think that relationship is as warm as you think. I would feel exactly like Rogers, I would want to stick it to them. How long can they keep Rogers and Jordan Love? 2022?

Rodgers is going nowhere while playing at an MVP level.   

I've been a die-hard fan of this team/franchise for well over 26 years now. I'm so ******* tired of not having a young, franchise QB. So sick of it. Harbaugh, bust. Mirer, bust. McNown, bust. Grossman, bust. Cutler, bust. Trubisky, bust. It just doesn't ever end.

Maybe Foles (turns 32 in January of 2021) will be here until he's 37 or 38 and find consistent success. I doubt it. It's just so frustrating being a fan of this franchise.

Edited by G08

And let me just add to my posts above that this is how I see things today after the end of week three.  We are 3-0 but are we as solid a 3-0 team as GB?  As KC?  As Seattle?

Not IMHO.  We're more on the level of the 2nd tier 3-0 teams like Buffalo, Tenn, and more than likely many of the 2-1 teams.  So far we've been more lucky than good.

Will I feel the same way in week 8 or 9, or in week 12?  I dunno that's a long way off and today 8 positive COVID tests may bring things to a halt.

I'm taking this season one week at a time if only because it's gonna be an odd one.  We just made a QB change and we don't know what that will mean just yet but for Foles to have come off the bench and won the game not having benefit of a full preseason and not having taken snaps as a #1 for three weeks gives some hope he'll help us win.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, G08 said:

I've been a die-hard fan of this team/franchise for well over 26 years now. I'm so ******* tired of not having a young, franchise QB. So sick of it. Harbaugh, bust. Mirer, bust. McNown, bust. Grossman, bust. Cutler, bust. Trubisky, bust. It just doesn't ever end.

Maybe Foles (turns 32 in January of 2021) will be here until he's 37 or 38 and find consistent success. I doubt it. It's just so frustrating being a fan of this franchise.

How many shots have we taken at the QB? We could of had Rogers but we chose Cedric Benson as a running back. We stayed with Grossman for what reason? This organization does not invest enough in the offense consistently. We need to be drafting a QB every other year at a minimum. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, G08 said:

Ditto

The smartest thing I've ever heard from the Bears was when their GM said "We're going to acquire a QB every year"

I thought that meant always to be working at the position, keeping fresh bodies in the pipeline, drafting high upside players and always taking little shots at the position to ensure that the Bears would have lots of opportunities to get a great one while growing their in house backups as well.

Instead it's meant Tyler Bray getting reclassified as often as Bradley Sowell got released, and the worlds least inspriing "former QB parade" Meanwhile teams with settled QB situations keep drafting new guys because they're not afraid of missing out on their sixth best cornerback. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, G08 said:

Because:

A) Bears are seldom drafting at top of first round which is where most good QBs are found unless you get lucky.  

B) Bears are not patient with developing young QB talent.  They were with Mitch.

C) Bears have not had true offensive coaches as head coach often - Trestman and Nagy are really only ones.  I don't believe Ditka was. Before that league was a running league.   How can a defensive coach with a string of different OCs develop a young QB?

This is why it might be good for Bears to keep Pace/Nagy around for awhile.   Maybe they can find and develop someone.

Also why I would only ever hire offensive coaches not named Belichick to be my HC.

• Like 1