Foles Discussion

dll2000

5 hours ago, BearFromArgentina said:

What needs to happen for Foles to achieve the same level of consistency he had in the 2013 regular season? It is even possible to get that Foles?

I'd love it but that was a fluke he will never replicate. 9 games straight without an INT for a 19/0 TD to INT ratio, over 9 games. McCoy was killing it with over 2,000 total yards,  DJax being the best deep threat in the league, Ertz came in well, Cooper was a solid playmaker, etc. Reid was calling great games, and Foles just hit a lucky streak on top of everything. Just was a hellish combo. 

Edited by Sugashane
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Pool said:

@soulman @Heinz D. So you are both of the opinion that the Bears are Superbowl contenders? Is that correct? 

No, if you've actually read any of my posts (especially those responding to Windy) you'd already know that I don't believe the Bears are a SB contender.  It's Windy who believes we should always be or aspire to be a SB contender.  Me?  I live in the real world not an imaginary or theoretical one.

IMHO to become or at least be seen as a "true" SB contender we lack some of the elements necessary for that.  To begin with our defense while very good has not so far in 2020 proven itself to be nearly as dominant as those of our two previous SB teams in 1985 and 2006.  Could this change?  Maybe, but we haven't shown it yet.

Lacking that we would need a certifiable top five offense with a top five QB.  Despite having won a SB and having been named it's MVP Nick Foles throughout his career has not consistently demonstrated that same level of play.  He's good mind you but not that good.  Could this change?  Maybe, but we don't know this yet and won't for a while.

The statement Heinz and I responded to was one claiming "Foles could never make it to a SB".  He has.  So it was like saying Donald Trump could never be President of the United States.  He is.  The initial claim wasn't based on reality and that's what we responded to.  Could it happen again?  Of course it could.  Will it?  I dunno.

So.....please don't try to extrapolate more than what was said which is what your question is doing.

4 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

I am. I don't think you can really put @soulman in the same boat, though. I'm pretty sure he does think they can make the playoffs, though. 

I thought we could at least make the playoffs with Mitch.  With Foles I believe we might actually win a playoff game or two.

3-0 is a good start and if we can beat Indy at home on Sunday 4-0 is even better since few team who have started out 4-0 have ever missed the playoffs and this year they've even been expanded.  So let's just say my confidence at this moment that we can go 10-6 is higher than it was before Foles was named as starter.

But there's still so many games left to play and so much more to learn about this team I have no idea exactly where we'll stand come December.

Edited by soulman

20 hours ago, soulman said:

The statement Heinz and I responded to was one claiming "Foles could never make it to a SB".  He has.  So it was like saying Donald Trump could never be President of the United States.  He is.  The initial claim wasn't based on reality and that's what we responded to.  Could it happen again?  Of course it could.  Will it?  I dunno.

So.....please don't try to extrapolate more than what was said which is what your question is doing.

I think it's clear that @Pool didn't phrase it quite the way he wanted to in that initial post. He clearly meant to say that Foles isn't good enough to reach the Super Bowl with this Bears team as currently comprised. We all just misunderstood, took him literally.

No biggie. Everyone should be arguing with ME, anyway. 😀

wXlluXo.gif

19 hours ago, soulman said:

I thought we could at least make the playoffs with Mitch.  With Foles I believe we might actually win a playoff game or two.

That makes them a Super Bowl contender though, does it not? 😉

Edited by Heinz D.
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

I think it's clear that @Pool didn't phrase it quite the way he wanted to in that initial post. He clearly meant to say that Foles isn't good enough to reach the Super Bowl with this Bears team as currently comprised. We all just misunderstood, took him literally.

No biggie. Everyone should be arguing with ME, anyway. 😀

wXlluXo.gif

That makes them a Super Bowl contender though, does it not? 😉

That was my only point simply because I'm not a mind reader.  I responded correctly to what was said.  But it was you I quoted not him.

It's also ancient history for me now.  I've resolved it for myself.

4 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

I think saying Foles will be the QB here for another 44 games is a bit premature right now

Extremely, but what else is out there? I don't see Trubisky coming back here next season and Tyler Bray is just a dude. We literally have nobody in the pipeline.

• Like 1