Establishing possession on a fumble recovery

Apparition

So in the Raiders-Patriots game yesterday there was an instance in the first quarter where Josh Jacobs fumbled deep in Patriots territory and the Patriots were awarded with the recovery. While replayed showed that it was a clear fumble, it also showed that Jacobs appeared to have been the first to establish possession during the scramble for the ball. It remained Patriots ball, however. 

It ended up not meaning much because the Raiders picked Cam 2 plays later and returned it to right around the same spot and got a field goal out of it. But it got me thinking about how fumble recoveries are basically judgment calls on the field. I looked through the rulebook for any guidelines for officials to help determine possession but unless my reading comprehension failed me, I saw none. In this case the officials made a mistake on the field, but I guess a lack of indisputable evidence of a recovery by Jacobs kept them from overturning the call. And this is an issue that seems to arise every once in a while for the league. 

So is there any steps that can actually be taken to make fumble recoveries in a scrum easier to judge? The league has already stated on multiple occasions that coming out of the pile with the ball doesn't prove you recovered it. But that still seems to be the standard used more often than not.