Colts at Bears - 12 CBS

dll2000

3 hours ago, WindyCity said:

We should explore the trade market for a NT that we can get for a day 3 pick.

Someone had mentioned Steve McClendon with the Jets.

Tim Settle in Washington

Mike Purcell in Denver

Arby Jones in Jax

Purcell flashed 3 times early tonight for Denver

9 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

I watched last week's game again, and thought that Urban did fairly well, all things considered. Maybe he'll get better with more playing time. 

Urban's always been decent at knocking balls down at the LOS. He had 1 vs Atlanta, IIRC

• Like 1

12 hours ago, RunningVaccs said:

I love the Bears but I'M not sure if they're any good or not!  Every team is shaky this season, but the Bears keep being really ******* weird.  Name one unit that's been consistent for an entire game, much less a season... Every single game we've had has been ridiculous up and down;  Mitch leads a Q4 comeback?  Foles leads a bigger one?  Defense looks terrible until sealing 2 games right at the end?  Bizarre luck (good and bad)? This team is just wild right now.

Some of it might be expected due to the way camps were conducted and a lack of tune up games but other stuff is not quite as expected like DT's obvious regression.

11 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Pagano/Pace/Nagy need to figure out how to play against teams going big on us.

RRH, Nichols, and Urban are not holding up at point of attack and that is causing problems for Roquan and Trevathan and then that in turn is causing problems for safeties who aren't best on runners in open field.  It is a whole domino effect.

Basically whole middle of our defense is a problem right now simply because we lack a big body at that can control 2 gaps inside or not get moved by a double.  These are things PFF doesn't get when they say run defending DL don't matter.   They do matter.   You don't see that they matter until you don't have them.   And then you are like oh.  This stinks.  

It really sucks as this is where Indy is strong.   More I look at these match ups the more I think Indy may have too many advantages in this game..

BUT a clever coach can scheme against run and force the pass where we are strong and they are relatively weak with injuries.  It easier to scheme against run than a dynamic passing attack.  You can do it with stunts and blitzes and safeties playing up and defenders submarining or holding OL like Giants did to us.   Pagano has had horses in Chicago and elsewhere and likes to just let players play in recent years.   He's been creative in past, but not recently.  

Pagano needs to show he can be a clever coach and not rely on talent alone.

Indy has a really talented front 7 defensively too.  This game is definitely biggest challenge to date.

So they have some mismatches on us.  But we have some on them as well.    

Missing Goldman is turning out to be huge because as you posted none of the guys you listed are two gap NT types.  I'm hoping that McCullers gets on the field this week and can simply eat up some blockers with his size.  Just clog the "A" gaps on either side and allow the others guys to do the clean up work.

This will be an interesting game and one that I don't see us winning. 

Will Nagy change his play-calling for Foles? 

Our run game has worked better since Nagy started using a more heavy offense and calling more plays from under center instead of shotgun. But Foles is better from shotgun. He seem to have trouble from under center last week. 

--1st and 10, rolled to his right then turned around and threw a ugly screen attempt to the opposite side of the field that went OOB. Tedd Ginn was a wide open, right in front of him, 25 yards downfield. 

kPnYOQU.png

^This may be why Nagy only called one more pass from under center. The rest were shotgun.

I've been calling for this change for 2 years now so I was glad to see it. Monty is better suited for this because he's a downhill runner with good vision but doesn't have the fastest first step and it allows him to pick up speed and momentum before hitting the lanes. Cohen is better suited out of the shotgun formation for the opposite reasons. Patterson is a mix of both (good and bad). But Cohen is done now so it puts more pressure on Monty/Patterson. 

Now, I don't know if this change was made to help Mitch or whether it was Nagy putting emphasis on the run game like he talked about all offseason. I guess we'll find out. I just hope if he goes back to using more shotgun that it doesn't hurt the run game in the process. 

Edited by JAF-N72EX

8 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Our run game has worked better since Nagy started using a more heavy offense and calling more plays from under center instead of shotgun. But Foles is better from shotgun. He seem to have trouble from under center last week. 

--1st and 10, rolled to his right then turned around and threw a ugly screen attempt to the opposite side of the field that went OOB. Tedd Ginn was a wide open, right in front of him, 25 yards downfield. 

kPnYOQU.png

^This may be why Nagy only called one more pass from under center. The rest were shotgun.

I've been calling for this change for 2 years now so I was glad to see it. Monty is better suited for this because he's a downhill runner with good vision but doesn't have the fastest first step and it allows him to pick up speed and momentum before hitting the lanes. Cohen is better suited out of the shotgun formation for the opposite reasons. Patterson is a mix of both (good and bad). But Cohen is done now so it puts more pressure on Monty/Patterson. 

Now, I don't know if this change was made to help Mitch or whether it was Nagy putting emphasis on the run game like he talked about all offseason. I guess we'll find out. I just hope if he goes back to using more shotgun that it doesn't hurt the run game in the process. 

I think it was clear on balance that offense as a whole was executed better under Foles.   Many of same plays were called and worked when under Mitch they did not.

Now you make a good point.  They are different.   Mitch is relatively short for an NFL QB and much more athletic than Foles.   Foles is tall and far less mobile.  

So theoretically Mitch will be better on edges and on move and Foles will be better in pocket with better vision.

I think it is no theory but fact, that Mitch has better escapability skills and Foles can better read a defense.  I think their arm strength is comparable.   

I actually think their accuracy is comparable in a vacuum.  I think MTs accuracy is underrated and he is a talented thrower of football.  His ability to demonstrate that in shorts or a red jersey wins him jobs and makes him a top pick.   But in reality of a live football game, Foles has far better functional accuracy.  

I think Nagy can still run plays from under center with Foles.  But I think the shotgun plays that weren’t working before may start to look better.  

Now this week is a defense that is far better than any we have faced to date and Foles has had limited reps and time with team.   Kind of an unfair comparison and I hope if things go poorly there is not an overreaction.   

I think the better comparison is last week.  Foles absolutely dominated a terrible Falcons defense and Trubisky meandered and floundered.

7 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

kPnYOQU.png

Generally you cannot throw screens anywhere but the screen as the OL is downfield and you have no idea how far downfield they are. 

Also, that screen should work, you have 5 on 4... we are a really bad screen team.

12 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Generally you cannot throw screens anywhere but the screen as the OL is downfield and you have no idea how far downfield they are. 

Also, that screen should work, you have 5 on 4... we are a really bad screen team.

It wasn't a designed screen. It was a check down. The OL stayed home and didn't pull.  You don't roll-out to your right off the snap if the screen is on your left. Just a bad play all  around from Foles.

7 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I think it was clear on balance that offense as a whole was executed better under Foles.   Many of same plays were called and worked when under Mitch they did not.

Now you make a good point.  They are different.   Mitch is relatively short for an NFL QB and much more athletic than Foles.   Foles is tall and far less mobile.  

So theoretically Mitch will be better on edges and on move and Foles will be better in pocket with better vision.

I think it is no theory but fact, that Mitch has better escapability skills and Foles can better read a defense.  I think their arm strength is comparable.   

I actually think their accuracy is comparable in a vacuum.  I think MTs accuracy is underrated and he is a talented thrower of football.  His ability to demonstrate that in shorts or a red jersey wins him jobs and makes him a top pick.   But in reality of a live football game, Foles has far better functional accuracy.  

I think Nagy can still run plays from under center with Foles.  But I think the shotgun plays that weren’t working before may start to look better.  

Now this week is a defense that is far better than any we have faced to date and Foles has had limited reps and time with team.   Kind of an unfair comparison and I hope if things go poorly there is not an overreaction.   

I think the better comparison is last week.  Foles absolutely dominated a terrible Falcons defense and Trubisky meandered and floundered.

Bears fans + QBs + Loss = No way in hell there's not an overreaction lol.

1 hour ago, Heinz D. said:

You know...what the hell is up with that, anyway? Elway was 6"2' as well, right? 😲

Lineman are generally 6-6ish so it's harder for a shorter QB to see the field entirely. Wilson is 5'11 and that was one his knocks--along with "small hands" IIRC.

9 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

It wasn't a designed screen. It was a check down. The OL stayed home and didn't pull.  You don't roll-out to your right off the snap if the screen is on your left. Just a bad play all  around from Foles.

If it was snapped at the 50 they are a long way downfield for a regular pass play.