SNF: Chiefs @ Texans GDT

Chiefer

14 minutes ago, Chiefs_5627 said:

Kelce - Concussion

Wilson - leg injury

Conley - Achilles

Houston - calf

Anybody I missed??

Won't be able to field a team at this rate!

When did Wilson get hurt? I didn't notice that until they mentioned how many receiving threats were down.

I'm thinking the Houston injury was just a get him off the field kind of thing. He was just standing on the sideline on the last defensive drive, still in uniform, no trainers looking at him or anything, so I doubt it's much.

I do think Robinson or Chesson can replicate what Conley has offered so far this year. Mostly just some quality blocking. He really hasn't at all been a factor in the passing game. Just isn't getting open.

Concussion should definitely be short term.

So as long as Wilson's isn't serious I'm not too worried. Conley honestly might be the most expendable starter on the team right now. I'm betting Chesson is active going forward, Robinson sees in increase in playing time on offense, we probably bring Kemp up from the PS and maybe bring Seantavius Jones back to the PS.

Not 100% but I think Wilson got dinged on the slant over the middle. Had 2 guys fall on him on the ground. Don't recall seeing him after that. 

Really looking forward to seeing Robinson get some extra PT. Seems sure handed and pretty explosive, hasn't needed to block much so I'm not sure where he is there.

I'm getting in late. Ouch. As the Greek General Pyrrhus said, "If we are victorious in one more battle [like this], we shall be utterly ruined." 

A win is a win, even if they managed to send everyone to the hospital. Alex is On pace for over 4000 yards and 35 TD. That is looking like an MVP to this point.

Looking at the general forum thread, this was more impressive than the final score. As if hanging 40 points on Houston was not impressive. I did get that Alex Smith far outplayed Deshaun Watson, though two desperation completions make it seem otherwise. Hunt gets another 100 yard game but is falling off Eric Dickerson's rookie pace. >:(

J

27 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

I'm getting in late. Ouch. As the Greek General Pyrrhus said, "If we are victorious in one more battle [like this], we shall be utterly ruined." 

A win is a win, even if they managed to send everyone to the hospital. Alex is On pace for over 4000 yards and 35 TD. That is looking like an MVP to this point.

Looking at the general forum thread, this was more impressive than the final score. As if hanging 40 points on Houston was not impressive. I did get that Alex Smith far outplayed Deshaun Watson, though two desperation completions make it seem otherwise. Hunt gets another 100 yard game but is falling off Eric Dickerson's rookie pace. >:(

J

Alex Smith definitely did outplay Watson. Watson had some nice escapes, and the deep ball to Fuller for the 3rd TD was impressive.  But going into the 4th quarter, Watson was 7/15 for 80 yards, 2 TDs, and 2 sacks. He got like 125 yards on the last two drives when the game was away, with 75 yards of it coming more or less on hail marys. Smith was excellent throughout. His only real hiccup was missing Kelce in the end zone on a third down early. Had to settle for a field goal. But there was also pressure.

None of this excuses the pass defense. We allowed deep completions when playing defensive schemes designed primarily to not allow deep completions. So inexcusable there. But Watson will get a lot of credit for a stat line that does not represent how he actually played.

Oh, also, Chris Jones and Justin Houston were held like nobody's business. It really got to Jones towards the end of the game. He was fed up with it.

Alex Smith was awesome, stepping out the pocket and getting to his receivers. I really liked his read progression, he's becoming more and more confident in Conley, Wilson, Robinson, West etc and involving all our weapons. Really good showing by him.

Butker was awesome as well.

Tough to judge the OL given that Houston lost Watt and Mercilus in the first drive, but they held Clowney in check so that was good. They lacked push in the running game inside though.

The run defense worries me quite a bit. Thankfully Houston kind of forgot to run the ball in the 1st half (Thanks O'Brien!) and then they had to play catch-up, but the opening drive of the 2nd half by the Texans shows we're still pretty bad against the run. MNR especially got pushed around quite a bit.

Great coverage by our LBs & DBs overall. Mitchell got beat a couple of times of very good plays by Fuller/Hopkins so I won't fault him too much. Gaines is atrocious though. That coverage on his PI on Ellington was just brutal, I think he held Ellington at three separate times.

10 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

None of this excuses the pass defense. We allowed deep completions when playing defensive schemes designed primarily to not allow deep completions. So inexcusable there.

Our poor showing in this is now recorded for all of our opponents to view. It may not bode well for later games. Our safety play is suspect. Parker was guilty of not getting over to front Hopkins. Peters seems to be playing too cocky. He gets burned by Fuller. Gaines is, well...............Gaines. 

4 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

Ron Parker has not missed a snap all season. Sorensen has missed only three since Berry went down. The CB missed one play between them. This kind of workload will break a defense eventually. 

J

I really think that's why Poe began to fall off; he was shop heavily utilized his first couple of years. It is fortunate that we finally have depth that can step up to the challenge, but eventually we may lose to many screws and be exposed. 

That said, IMO the early trades mean that the front office thinks this is a year we should be maxing out. They think we are legit contenders and have made tweaks on the back end to negate our fault lines. 

Archived